Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #821
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I could ever be a jogging guy. Too hard on the old knees.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #822
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I was out for a drive today, out by Forgetmenot Pond. On my way back, a bighorn ram was just chowing down on the center line of the road. Nothing on the road but me and this ram. It was pretty good, and it was a good drive.

I'm sure that guy is there every day. I always see him. He couldn't care less about cars.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #823
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm sure that guy is there every day. I always see him. He couldn't care less about cars.
Hah, yeah! That surprised me a bit. I stopped and watched him for a bit, then slowly rolled forward a bit more, to give him a chance to move. Nope. So I very slowly rolled right up beside him, took a picture, and headed off. I've seen them before, but never that close.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #824
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been getting into making Chinese food at home and I just figured out how to make Dan Dan noodles. It's easy and delicious.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #825
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

190lbs is my lowest recorded weight in, I’d guess, 10 years. 190.0 this morning. Maybe longer actually. 15 years. I weigh myself so infrequently it’s hard to tell. Don’t even own a scale.

In the past year I was as high as 210 and as low as 192 (fat, got in shape, fat, now IF).

And I’ve been quite sedentary working from home. If I can incorporate some cardio I’ll be laughing.

Goal is 160-170. Then we’re talking peak high school playing minor hockey weight. That drawer with all my too small clothes I’ve purchased or stopped wearing over the years is starting to get excited.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #826
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
190lbs is my lowest recorded weight in, I’d guess, 10 years. 190.0 this morning. Maybe longer actually. 15 years. I weigh myself so infrequently it’s hard to tell. Don’t even own a scale.

In the past year I was as high as 210 and as low as 192 (fat, got in shape, fat, now IF).

And I’ve been quite sedentary working from home. If I can incorporate some cardio I’ll be laughing.

Goal is 160-170. Then we’re talking peak high school playing minor hockey weight. That drawer with all my too small clothes I’ve purchased or stopped wearing over the years is starting to get excited.
Congrats on the success.
But why wouldn't you own a scale?
They're $20 on Amazon.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #827
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Congrats on the success.
But why wouldn't you own a scale?
They're $20 on Amazon.
Some folks find them demoralizing and depressing, and more hindrance than help in a weight loss journey...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #828
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It started as a coincidence, never bought one when I moved out and got my own place. Then it turned into, why would I buy one? it’s not like I’m using the information. So I only weigh myself when I visit my parents.

I’ve also been trying to shift focus because last time I became obsessed with my fitness level, calorie counting, etc and I burned out, got demoralized and gained it all back very quickly.

This time I’m handling it a little more casual. Focusing on IF for now, nothing crazy just following a 16:8 and trying not to eat like total crap, as opposed to being obsessed with my diet. It’s allowed me to feel like I lost weight without having to reinvent myself, which I kept failing horribly at.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #829
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made a peking duck last week and chicken braised in black bean sauce today. I love Chinese food.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #830
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've been getting into making Chinese food at home and I just figured out how to make Dan Dan noodles. It's easy and delicious.
Do you have a particular recipe you can share? That sounds amazing! I love the chew of dan dan noodles.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #831
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

My wife painted Black Lives Matter on the back window of her car. i was kinda worried about the reactions as we live in a very heavily military population. An older black gentlemen pulled up beside her and gave her an enthusiastic wave and when they stopped at the light, he rolled down his window and said "Bless You". Made me feel just a little bit better about this country right now.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #832
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Do you have a particular recipe you can share? That sounds amazing! I love the chew of dan dan noodles.
Whenever I am learning a new cooking thing, I always start with "Serious Eats." Although with this one, I would recommend halving the chili oil because since eating it, both my partner and I have experienced an almost cataclysmic shift in our bowel movements.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...es-recipe.html
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #833
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Been biking to work a lot this year. There is a ~500 meter stretch that I just have to cruise along a grassy boulevard. I've carved out my own little trail on there as I'm the only one that bikes this route. Makes me happy for some reason.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #834
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Made a peking duck last week and chicken braised in black bean sauce today. I love Chinese food.
My partner just calls it food.

She makes an amazing Ox Tail soup.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #835
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Been biking to work a lot this year. There is a ~500 meter stretch that I just have to cruise along a grassy boulevard. I've carved out my own little trail on there as I'm the only one that bikes this route. Makes me happy for some reason.
I'd love to bike to work.

But how do you avoid being a sweaty gross thing when you get there?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #836
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'd love to bike to work.

But how do you avoid being a sweaty gross thing when you get there?
That's my secret...I'm always gross and sweaty.

I have an ebike. Picked it up for $1200 on a sale in January.

I go full pedal assist on the way into work in the morning so I don't get very sweaty. On the way home I turn the pedal assist way down and pedal my brains out to work up a sweat. It's only 12km each way, so pretty easy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #837
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you, Sliver. One of us, one of us!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #838
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's my secret...I'm always gross and sweaty.

I have an ebike. Picked it up for $1200 on a sale in January.

I go full pedal assist on the way into work in the morning so I don't get very sweaty. On the way home I turn the pedal assist way down and pedal my brains out to work up a sweat. It's only 12km each way, so pretty easy.
That's actually a great idea.

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you feel lame riding an assisted bike? I feel like I might feel judged by complete strangers and would shy away from an assisted bike for that irrational reason.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #839
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you feel lame riding an assisted bike? I feel like I might feel judged by complete strangers and would shy away from an assisted bike for that irrational reason.

hey Cro

don't worry about what strangers might think!!

our neighbour has an assisted bike and LOVES it. he's been our neighbour for almost 15 years and has 'something' wrong with him - docs still can't figure it out and he's been getting weaker over the last decade. he loves to bike but as his condition worsened he couldn't - until he got his assist bike. now he has the ability to go do something his truly enjoys and get some exercise too!

we see tons of people around riding them and lots are young, healthy, athletic kids (teens/early 20s). and like i said earlier - don't worry what others think!
Old 06-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #840
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:

You see E-scooters and hoverboards on the streets all the time downtown. You'll be fine if you ride an E-bike
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote