Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #2301
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well I think that you've answered your own question here about how we are different at this point. Another major point to consider is that unemployment here is lower than it is elsewhere in the country, which in turn means that people are coming to Calgary and Alberta in general to find employment.

I do have to laugh at a couple of the points that you brought up as being similar though. Has Calgary been experiencing "unreal growth in the last few years"? I wouldn't say that. Are "speculation and greed driving the market" here? I wouldn't say that either. In Calgary what we have seen is a fairly natural correction after the boom until 2008. From the low point we have seen a gradual inflation of the housing prices. Speculators are potentially involved, but its hardly what we've seen in Toronto in the condo market in particular or in Vancouver.
So Toronto and Vancouver had a spike in layoffs and lower immigration in the last 6 months?
From what I understand, nothing changed locally in Tor and Van that would make the RE market vulnerable.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #2302
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
So Toronto and Vancouver had a spike in layoffs and lower immigration in the last 6 months?
From what I understand, nothing changed locally in Tor and Van that would make the RE market vulnerable.
What about in the past five years? Have the markets between these three cities been the exact same?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #2303
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
“Don’t talk about religion or politics” has been a long standing rule of small talk etiquette because of their touchy nature. Perhaps it’s time to add “real estate” to the list. Opinions on the market are varied and even heated, more so when ones livelihood or financial health is involved.
http://calgaryrealestatereview.com/2...o-you-believe/
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2304
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What about in the past five years? Have the markets between these three cities been the exact same?
That I am not sure of. But it is kind of irrelevant since all 3 had booming RE during the same time.

Now something changed in Tor and Van. I think it's the new mortgage/HELOC rules and higher bank scrutiny. But that would surely hit us as well, no? If not then why?

I think it's the unusually low inventory. Thoughts?

Last edited by Red; 09-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #2305
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
True that. Lot's of emotions and money behind RE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #2306
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That I am not sure off. But it is kind of irrelevant since all 3 had booming RE.

Now something changed in Tor and Van. I think it's the new mortgage/HELOC rules and higher bank scrutiny. But that would surely hit us as well, no? If not then why?

I think it's the unusually low inventory. Thoughts?
Well that's just it. The story is longer than just the last 6 months. The markets haven't moved in sync for the past five years and they were starting from different points with different factors. You can't just extrapolate the experiences of one market and say that the same thing should happen to the others. This is basically what people have said for years about the US/Canada relationship and pretty clearly things over the past five years have shown that not to be the case.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #2307
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rental Market is hot right now. Rented my single family home for 100 over asking price and we just raised our 2 bedroom condo in the suburbs from 1350 to 1500. Life is good for another year!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #2308
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's just it. The story is longer than just the last 6 months. The markets haven't moved in sync for the past five years and they were starting from different points with different factors. You can't just extrapolate the experiences of one market and say that the same thing should happen to the others. This is basically what people have said for years about the US/Canada relationship and pretty clearly things over the past five years have shown that not to be the case.
That's not really true though. They all started to explode around 05.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2309
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Rental Market is hot right now. Rented my single family home for 100 over asking price and we just raised our 2 bedroom condo in the suburbs from 1350 to 1500. Life is good for another year!
In Toronto the bidding wars have moved from resale RE to rentals. Very strong rental market there.

Rents are too cheap in relation to RE prices.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #2310
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One of the reasons why we are different. From RBC housing report

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #2311
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
That's not really true though. They all started to explode around 05.
He said 5 years. 2005 was 7 years ago.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #2312
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
He said 5 years. 2005 was 7 years ago.
and?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #2313
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

You said his statement wasn't true and then you gave an example that had nothing to do with the timeline he referenced. Just pointing it out.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #2314
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
You said his statement wasn't true and then you gave an example that had nothing to do with the timeline he referenced. Just pointing it out.
2005 - 2012 includes last 5 years. Can we move on?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #2315
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
One of the reasons why we are different. From RBC housing report

Calgary definitely has more affordable housing. As it should, being a smaller prairie city.
This RBC affordability report has been questioned for its validity though. They have some assumptions there that are quite far from reality (25% average downpayment etc.)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #2316
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ha ha, just read this. Nice read for those that don't follow the market closely.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #2317
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Don’t talk about religion or politics” has been a long standing rule of small talk etiquette because of their touchy nature. Perhaps it’s time to add “real estate” to the list. Opinions on the market are varied and even heated, more so when ones livelihood or financial health is involved.
Quote:
True that. Lot's of emotions and money behind RE.

Indeed, I think it's always good (and interesting) to see what other people think and are seeing in a given situation/market. You can't read every article or statistic out there and the education from other viewpoints is always nice. I certainly like the thread for that and the discussion back and forth.

I am glad that thread has mostly (and long since) turned away from the personal attacks/name calling when I originally joined the forum and thread.

I'd hate to see this turn into the iPhone vs. Android thread.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #2318
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary definitely has more affordable housing. As it should, being a smaller prairie city.
This doesn't make sense? Why should homes in Calgary be mroe affordable because it's a smaller prairie city?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #2319
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
This doesn't make sense? Why should homes in Calgary be mroe affordable because it's a smaller prairie city?
Because Calgary doesn't offer much outside of jobs. Places like Toronto and Vancouver are much more desirable (as much as we hate to admit it) because of their geography. Pretty much why they are so heavily populated.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #2320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Cause you stopped being a jerk.

But I was young, naive, and new to the forum.

Seriously though, I hope I wasn't "that" bad/an outright jerk. Certainly not my intention.

Tags
housing , real estate