Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 11:14 AM   #9581
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Smith, Gustafsson, Fantenberg, Carptenter and Jarnkrok all played well enough here. I wouldn’t call any of them a miss for their play, for some it was a miss for not re-signing them.
I thought Carpenter only dressed for like 2 games.

Jarnkrok finally scored for us in the playoffs and then we were eliminated, we also didn't keep him at a good price like the original poster suggested. Had he signed the TOR deal with us I would've probably written him as a hit.

As for Smith, he had a good season and a bad one, but I'm definitely glad we quickly moved on from him.

Fantanberg was out of the league 40 or so games after playing for the Flames. Gustafsson was mostly signing league min deals since. Forbort did alright I believe, but again the Flames couldn't keep him.

The price for the rentals the Flames got was mostly fair, but more often than not there wasn't a fit for either the player or the team.

My point is that the Flames aren't doing too great when they're bargain hunting. Guys like Czarnik Pitlick and Lievo, give the fans hope for depth scoring, and more often than not end up as 4th in liners.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 11:15 AM   #9582
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
How often do those pieces actually work for the Flames?

Just look at the players management brought in via trades and the picks involved:
Miss: Carpenter,(5th) Jarkrok(2nd, 3rd), Pitlick(4th), Gustafsson(3rd), Forbort(4th), Fantanberg(4th), Shore(7th), Lack(6th), Mike Smith(3rd), Lazar(2nd), etc.

Hit: Zadorov(3rd), Vladar(3rd), Stone (after he was bought out)

Not projects: Huberdeau, Weegar, Toffoli, Lindholm, Hanifin, Hamonic.

Based on this list the Flames should either make big trades or none at all.
What else is left to trade that would make anything big?
Old 02-06-2023, 11:31 AM   #9583
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Treliving on Kylington....does this sound like their patience isn't endless on this one? Or is that just me?

"We want to be supportive, and we have been, but...."
Old 02-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #9584
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Re: Treliving on Kylington....does this sound like their patience isn't endless on this one? Or is that just me?

"We want to be supportive, and we have been, but...."
Not sure what Treliving can do?

Release him? Suspend him?

Nobody is going to give full value unless he comes back
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #9585
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
What else is left to trade that would make anything big?
I think that Mangiapane could be a piece the Flames use in a win win trade. Toffoli is having a great season, but I think he could be traded for an upgrade/forward that will work with Huberdeau. For example Mangiapane++ for Foresberg, or another star player, that's signed long term and is willing to come here.

On D I think they could explore trading one of the LD in the offseason depending on the Kylington situation.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #9586
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

Oh....i wasn't thinking trade. More that they have been patient but want an answer sooner or later if he is coming back which they haven't gotten yet.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:58 AM   #9587
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think that Mangiapane could be a piece the Flames use in a win win trade. Toffoli is having a great season, but I think he could be traded for an upgrade/forward that will work with Huberdeau. For example Mangiapane++ for Foresberg, or another star player, that's signed long term and is willing to come here.

On D I think they could explore trading one of the LD in the offseason depending on the Kylington situation.
What player that is under 30 and is signed for 4+ years on a deal that is consider team friendly or at least a contract that we are comfortable adding is really available? Almost all teams keep these players unless the team is in about to go into a long rebuild.

Considering this draft is the best draft in many years I just don't see many teams lining up to start a rebuild after this season. St Louis looks like a team that could be going in that direction, but we aren't getting Thomas or Kyrou. It's guys like O'Rielly that are available.

Treliving more than likely will need to look at players who are RFAs or a player like Horvat who is willing to re-sign. If he can't get that he should probably just let the kids fill the spots or a buy low player. I don't mind the Gurianov pick up.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 11:59 AM   #9588
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's hard to say since we don't really have a clue about what the issue is. Teams have suspended players for taking personal leaves, in order to save cap space. This may have been an option for the Flames, but they may have felt his situation warranted him still getting paid for the year.

It was mentioned somewhere, this thread maybe, that if Kylington ends up being unavailable for the whole season and playoffs, the Flames may be able to get some cap relief that can be used at the deadline putting us at $6.5 million instead of $4 million accrued space. They just need to get the clarity to know if he is indeed not coming back.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:25 PM   #9589
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flames have roster decisions to make, do they acquire another dman at the deadline or will Oliver Kylington return

This is the biggest question,
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #9590
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
What player that is under 30 and is signed for 4+ years on a deal that is consider team friendly or at least a contract that we are comfortable adding is really available? Almost all teams keep these players unless the team is in about to go into a long rebuild.
I agree with you, and players like that are hard to find, and even harder to get. I would mostly be looking at teams like NSH, STL, PHI, VAN, FLA, MIN and maybe even BUF(if they miss the playoffs).

Players I would explore:
J.T Miller

ok, seriously now:
Kyrou, Foresberg, Laine, Tuch, Verhaeghe, Duclair, Pettersson, Kempe.

Most of them will probably not be available, and would cost an arm and a leg, but they could all be an interesting way to change the mix of forwards on this team.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:40 PM   #9591
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post

Considering this draft is the best draft in many years I just don't see many teams lining up to start a rebuild after this season. St Louis looks like a team that could be going in that direction, but we aren't getting Thomas or Kyrou. It's guys like O'Rielly that are available.

Treliving more than likely will need to look at players who are RFAs or a player like Horvat who is willing to re-sign. If he can't get that he should probably just let the kids fill the spots or a buy low player. I don't mind the Gurianov pick up.
Konecny has 2 years left after this year.
Garland has 3.

They have pretty friendly cap hits.

Could be available. Gurianov is a pending RFA. so is Debrincat, I believe.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:44 PM   #9592
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
I am not saying he should sell the farm but this team is in win now mode. This team is close enough that he needs to improve it to try and help get them in. I'm not buying the monitor the team and lets see where we are at.This team has some obvious holes and he needs to fix them .If they miss the playoffs it will be a huge step back. They were being considered a Stanley cup contender by some of the media and some fans. Too not make the playoffs would be a big failure after going all in.Remember the so called summer of brad. If they miss most of it is on him. This is the team he has built.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #9593
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
I am not saying he should sell the farm but this team is in win now mode. This team is close enough that he needs to improve it to try and help get them in. I'm not buying the monitor the team and lets see where we are at.This team has some obvious holes and he needs to fix them .If they miss the playoffs it will be a huge step back. They were being considered a Stanley cup contender by some of the media and some fans. Too not make the playoffs would be a big failure after going all in.Remember the so called summer of brad. If they miss most of it is on him. This is the team he has built.
Nah I agree with him. You don’t want to make a rash decision that could set you back for years. If the team isn’t where they want to be by the deadline I hope he does nothing. No point in making a desperation trade if the team is too far out by March 3rd
Old 02-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #9594
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Konecny has 2 years left after this year.
Garland has 3.

They have pretty friendly cap hits.

Could be available. Gurianov is a pending RFA. so is Debrincat, I believe.
I think a big reason why the Flames don't have cap space and are not an elite team is all the quality $5 mil type players.

Mangiapane, Backlund, Lucic, Coleman, Toffoli are all good players, but none are really first line players, and all make close to or over $5mil a year. This adds up and kills the cap. Adding Garlnad is a mistake IMO.

Konecny would be a good pick, but I would think most teams would be in on him and the cost would be too much.

The Flames don't have the prospects or are good enough to be adding the no risk high end players this deadline.

Unfortunately, they are more likely to be adding players that have some risk, or are having off seasons and have fallen out of favour with their team.

Meier is probably the big name add they could afford. His value is probably slightly lower due to his contract.

Garland, Bertuzzi are 2 guys that could go after as they are having bad years. I just think we should stay away.

I like Gurianov because I think his next deal could be similar to the current deal. Hopefully much lower than that $5 mil mark that is killing our cap.

I have also really like Pelletier so far. If the Flames want to be a threat this year, it's going to happen if a kid like this can come in a produce. Even a 20 goal and 50-point type pace could launch this team into being a threat.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #9595
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Careful not to argue yourself into accepting a sunk cost fallacy
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:07 PM   #9596
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Nah I agree with him. You don’t want to make a rash decision that could set you back for years. If the team isn’t where they want to be by the deadline I hope he does nothing. No point in making a desperation trade if the team is too far out by March 3rd
True. As things stand now, it's hard to justify being a seller or buyer. We need to wait this out and see how it goes. If the Flames go on a heater for the next month, then buy. If they drop off, sell what you can and try to reload for next season.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing Treliving do if things are still status quo at the deadline, is at least try to use the cap space we have as a tradable asset. Some teams are probably going to want to unload some contracts to be buyers, and we may be able to capitalize on that and pick up some future assets. As long as the contracts aren't long term anchors of course.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:16 PM   #9597
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that they have to evaluate things and see where they are ahead of the deadline…but if this team isn’t pushing to win right now, this team should be selling.

Sitting idly by as the team continues to get older, and continues to draft in the middle/back end of the 1st round is a sure fire way to just stay where they are.

This team needs to act one way or the other. It’s not good enough as it is. If they barely miss the playoffs this season and there isn’t a large change in direction…good luck getting fans excited for next season.

“Hey, we’re a year older. Our “young players” (who are actually just prime age players) weren’t good enough last season, and our older players who also weren’t good enough are now a year older! Isn’t it exciting?!”

Ugh…no.

Battling for the last playoff spot. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #9598
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's hard to say since we don't really have a clue about what the issue is. Teams have suspended players for taking personal leaves, in order to save cap space. This may have been an option for the Flames, but they may have felt his situation warranted him still getting paid for the year.

It was mentioned somewhere, this thread maybe, that if Kylington ends up being unavailable for the whole season and playoffs, the Flames may be able to get some cap relief that can be used at the deadline putting us at $6.5 million instead of $4 million accrued space. They just need to get the clarity to know if he is indeed not coming back.
Ill try to explain it, but its tricky.

The longer the Flames can wait, the bigger the Deadline add. With the team around 1 million below cap that entire amount accrues to the deadline to become like 4 million. If the Flames put Kylington on IR today the amount they can exceed the cap by would be 1.5 instead of 2.5 since they're not at the upper limit of the cap right now. But if come deadline they bring in a player or players to get to the upper limit, than they can maximize the LTIR exemption to the max.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #9599
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I get that they have to evaluate things and see where they are ahead of the deadline…but if this team isn’t pushing to win right now, this team should be selling.

Sitting idly by as the team continues to get older, and continues to draft in the middle/back end of the 1st round is a sure fire way to just stay where they are.

This team needs to act one way or the other. It’s not good enough as it is. If they barely miss the playoffs this season and there isn’t a large change in direction…good luck getting fans excited for next season.

“Hey, we’re a year older. Our “young players” (who are actually just prime age players) weren’t good enough last season, and our older players who also weren’t good enough are now a year older! Isn’t it exciting?!”

Ugh…no.

Battling for the last playoff spot. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Even though I agree that if this team doesn't get hot that they should sell, it's wishful thinking that they will sell fighting for the playoffs. So, if you back off from that stance, IMO I'd rather fight for a playoff spot with Pelletier getting his crack than adding players we can't keep. I believe this will bring a bigger benefit to the team next year with growth potential from young players like this than adding a rental and depleting the prospect pool.

Just don't see the Flames having the assets to buy and get someone high end. So, it's questionable depth adds at the deadline or prospects. I vote prospects.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #9600
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

One factor is the Western Conference isn't very strong...the top teams don't really scare me at all. If the Flames can start getting the goaltending and are in a decent spot by the deadline I would take a big swing.