Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 01:08 PM   #41
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big part of his mandate was reducing the deficit, which he did with a fair degree of success. It started to go back up in his second term, but he still left it lower than he found it.

Deficit reduction measures are always going to piss off some people. Even if necessary, it can be hard to deal with the change that comes with it.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:06 PM   #42
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mulroney, hmm. He had an alter in our house. My ma did advance for Brian, organize the logistics for his trips, yadda yadda, we were huge PC supporters, big signs that would get defaced, the whole shebang. Back when it wasn't embarrassing to support a party.

His favorite chocolate bar was 4 flavours and a distant second was Eat more. We'd drive around trying to find the elusive 4 Flavours bars. Not as many options back then.

She loved Elvis, but Brian was up there with Elvis. A different era. She'd manage the kids and stuff, they were really a first family. She adored them..

Then she moved to provincial politics years later, worked for Ralph. That's when she handed in her PC card. Said he was just not a good person, never elaborated more, a bad person. Which is incongruent to what history seems to say but I believe it to be true.

There is a group of us conservatives that are wandering the desert waiting for the right person. Don't let me get started how much Preston Manning was loathed in our house. Almost as much as Trudeau was.

Anyway.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 02:54 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My dad was in the Mulroney government. In grade 1 I would have kids come up to me, tell me that their dad hated my dad, and then scream this song in my face. I was a 6 and did not understand government in the slightest.
Wow. I've never heard of that, but in retrospect that must be funny?

Also....as I recall 'Eatmore' bars were disgusting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

throwing a nickel in the trash in his honor
Old 03-01-2024, 03:03 PM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Mulroney, hmm. He had an alter in our house. My ma did advance for Brian, organize the logistics for his trips, yadda yadda, we were huge PC supporters, big signs that would get defaced, the whole shebang. Back when it wasn't embarrassing to support a party.

His favorite chocolate bar was 4 flavours and a distant second was Eat more. We'd drive around trying to find the elusive 4 Flavours bars. Not as many options back then.

She loved Elvis, but Brian was up there with Elvis. A different era. She'd manage the kids and stuff, they were really a first family. She adored them..

Then she moved to provincial politics years later, worked for Ralph. That's when she handed in her PC card. Said he was just not a good person, never elaborated more, a bad person. Which is incongruent to what history seems to say but I believe it to be true.

There is a group of us conservatives that are wandering the desert waiting for the right person. Don't let me get started how much Preston Manning was loathed in our house. Almost as much as Trudeau was.

Anyway.
I've never heard of 4-flavours and I just have to know...what are the 4 flavours?!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:05 PM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've never heard of 4-flavours and I just have to know...what are the 4 flavours?!
The great thing about the internet is that it's pretty easy to find the answer to most questions.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 03:11 PM   #47
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The great thing about the internet is that it's pretty easy to find the answer to most questions.
Why even have the ability to ask questions on here?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:13 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Why even have the ability to ask questions on here?
To be judged.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 03:18 PM   #49
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

the Boy from Baie Comeau always carried a bit of extra cachet in our family as my uncle was also from Baie Comeau and of roughly the same vintage (although they weren't quite of the same age as the family lore would imply)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:31 PM   #50
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently, vanilla, bordeaux, chocolate and caramel.

Next question is, what is bordeaux in this context? Is it wine flavoured?

I've never heard of this bar before and I'm someone who will enjoy a rare bar now and then if I can find it, like Mirage, Mackintoshes, Sweet Marie, etc.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #51
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can someone tell me if you are MMF? You are tooooo sarcastic to not be him
Old 03-01-2024, 04:57 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Can someone tell me if you are MMF? You are tooooo sarcastic to not be him
I'm not handsome enough to be MMF.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #53
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

From prime ministers to prehistoric chocolate bars to threesomes. I love it here.

Quote:
My dad was in the Mulroney government. In grade 1 I would have kids come up to me, tell me that their dad hated my dad, and then scream this song in my face. I was a 6 and did not understand government in the slightest.
I find it intriguing how some children often mimic their parents' perspectives without grasping their significance. It aids in identifying who's going to be an ###hole in life.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 05:57 PM   #54
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You Take That Back, Good Sir!!!!

Eatmore, is not only a Canadian classic chocolate bar, but it was named by a fellow Cape Bretoner!

The only thing disgusting is your sense of taste!

Spoiler!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:15 AM   #55
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Wow. I've never heard of that, but in retrospect that must be funny?

I can see the humour, I just don't feel it! It sounds like Fotze and I had pretty similar upbringings... the hatred for Preston Manning and the Reform Party was very real. We'd often get drunken phone calls threatening to kill my mom and stuff.

To this day whenever somebody gets overly political (on either side of the spectrum) I have a hard time remaining engaged or taking them seriously. The entire thing feels very stupid to me. I get that politics is important, but my experience from a very young age was that it's a lightning rod for negativity.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can see the humour, I just don't feel it! It sounds like Fotze and I had pretty similar upbringings... the hatred for Preston Manning and the Reform Party was very real. We'd often get drunken phone calls threatening to kill my mom and stuff.

To this day whenever somebody gets overly political (on either side of the spectrum) I have a hard time remaining engaged or taking them seriously. The entire thing feels very stupid to me. I get that politics is important, but my experience from a very young age was that it's a lightning rod for negativity.
Its the same as the 'F### Trudeau' stickers on trucks or...do you remember that company that made disgusting stickers of Thunberg?

I dont have patience for that kind of crap. Stick to policies and ditch the personal bull####.

I have as much disdain for Trudeau as anyone else, but I'd never put his name on my car either positively or negatively.

It reminds me of that scene from Avengers: Infinity War when Thor learns that Gammorah is Thanos' daughter and everyone tenses like theres going to be a fight...and he just says: "Family can be tough."

"Politics can be tough."

Dont make it personal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM   #57
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Plus he looked and sounded like Reverend Kane from Poltergeist II.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Eatmore bars suck and they've always sucked and everyone knows it!

Old 03-04-2024, 11:45 AM   #59
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And Eatmore bars suck and they've always sucked and everyone knows it!
Not nearly as much as Big Turk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:47 AM   #60
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manning was a huge deal for my parents. I think he got their support initially, only because we knew his deputy leader fairly well. She was my teacher and coach in high school.

Last edited by Minnie; 03-04-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote