Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2024, 01:23 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Navalny Family: Beware men wielding Umbrellas and avoid unsecure looking windows.

Or...GTFO of Russia?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:28 AM   #42
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting out of Russia is wise, but still not safe enough.

One thing is for sure, with the number of whackjobs there and the possible impunity Russia may have following the election, the US may only be marginally safer, if at all.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:34 AM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Getting out of Russia is wise, but still not safe enough.

One thing is for sure, with the number of whackjobs there and the possible impunity Russia may have following the election, the US may only be marginally safer, if at all.
We all know the Markov story and that Russia/Putin isn't afraid of infringing on Sovereign territory to settle a grudge.

But if you're not in Russia you're usually not a threat and thus, not a priority and I think we can all acknowledge they've got bigger fish to fry right now.

What really steams me is that.. Navalny was a legitimate alternative to all this BS.

Unfortunately Putin knew it too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 01:44 AM   #44
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The profile Navalny’s family has, is high. It may diminish with time, but there is definitely the prospect of his wife becoming the focus for opposition. Even if it isn’t her, she could play the role of kingmaker in the future.

They aren’t safe wherever they are, but yeah, getting out of Russia improves their position materially, but still far too marginally for them to ever be safe.

What is really scary though, is that what I expressed about the US, is a genuinely held fear. Russia seems to be at least almost as effective in the propaganda war against the US as the US was against the Soviet Union in the 1980s.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:50 AM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The profile Navalny’s family has, is high. It may diminish with time, but there is definitely the prospect of his wife becoming the focus for opposition. Even if it isn’t her, she could play the role of kingmaker in the future.

They aren’t safe wherever they are, but yeah, getting out of Russia improves their position materially, but still far too marginally for them to ever be safe.

What is really scary though, is that what I expressed about the US, is a genuinely held fear. Russia seems to be at least almost as effective in the propaganda war against the US as the US was against the Soviet Union in the 1980s.
I hate being 'that guy' but I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This only ends...'The Russian Way.'

Putin either needs to fall out of a window or just vanish.

The problem is, who replaces him? Navalny was pretty much your #1 ideal candidate.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:59 AM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When the end finally happens to Putin(hopefully in pain) I can see daughter Dasha becoming a large political figure in Russia, her interviews are strong and to the point and she's majoring in social psychology and political science at Stanford.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #47
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the cause of death was punch to the heart? How strong was this punch?!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:23 AM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Better question: "how weak was he after all this?"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:04 AM   #49
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Apparently, it is an old KGB method.

It involves having the victim outside in extremely cold conditions for a couple of hours, and then delivering the punch to the heart. I think it’s meant to induce a cardiac arrest.

I read it somewhere yesterday - Ill see if I can find the link.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM   #50
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
This is all by design for Putin. Your average person thinks that "There is no way he would kill him, do it now, poison him etc" This is a theme of Putin because logically you don't do things like this so in the open. Putin does because it sends a message and everybody then knows it's Putin. Same thing with Prigozhin. The guy supposedly made some sort of retirement deal to spend the winters in Belarus but low and behold, someone may have forgotten to fuel the plane and replace the alternator on the engine and it fell out of the sky.

I am kidding of course but that is the way it goes. In Putin's Russia, he literally took the richest, most powerful oligarch person in Russia and sent them to prison for like 10 years or more. Mikhail Khodorkovsky was the owner of Yukos oil. It sends a message to the rest of the gang to fall in line.

It's complete opposite of what happens in America. In the US, the rich and powerful run the country and the politicians. In Russia? Putin doesn't care and literally kills you and sends your friends and family to prison with the rats
Hot take #8239234 by curves lol.

Everyone thought he'd kill Navalny. Nobody thought Navalny was getting out of there alive. Putin was toying with/torturing him for a while.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:37 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Everyone thought he'd kill Navalny. Nobody thought Navalny was getting out of there alive. Putin was toying with/torturing him for a while.
Yeah dude has the oddest takes and phrasing on CP.

Anyone that has been alive since Dec 1922 will know that the USSR/Russia kill people, intentionally.

Super Odd Take.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 11:13 AM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I do find that line of thinking rather odd.

The only way Navalny was getting out of there alive was if Putin bought it first and then, by some miracle, was replaced with a non-Putin crony.

Beyond that he was a dead man walking and everyone knew it. Especially Navalny.

He knew the game. This was a Cat playing with a trapped Mouse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 12:21 PM   #53
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I do find that line of thinking rather odd.

The only way Navalny was getting out of there alive was if Putin bought it first and then, by some miracle, was replaced with a non-Putin crony.

Beyond that he was a dead man walking and everyone knew it. Especially Navalny.

He knew the game. This was a Cat playing with a trapped Mouse.
I do think Navalny know what his fate would be, but he wanted to be a Martyr. To prove Putin was a coward. Remember, Navalny was not a trapped mouse because he willingly chose to go back to Russia after being poisoned abroad, knowing he's go to jail
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:47 AM   #54
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

It wasn't a hot take like you think, it was a quote/paraphrase from either the Navalny documentary or by Julia Ioffee from Puck Media who is now considered about as close to a Putin expert as it get's. I can't recall which one. It detailed why he does certain things and when he does them. Sending the message is above else key. Everything from jailing the richest, most powerful man in Russia, to predicting that a stupid, black President (his words, not mine) wouldn't bother to escalate things in 2014 with Crimea/ Syria and a host of other things. Played Trump like a fiddle in a lot of ways and is now enjoying watching Biden try and get ahead of this Ukraine war which clearly isn't going well for the west. Everything militarily, support, assistance and notion the west has done has turned up wrong.

The quote/paraphrase was about the shock and the disbelief that Navalny was poisoned in such an open manner when he was a visible, secured, safe and beloved freedom fighter/opposition leader with support. The message that attempt and this death sends is a lot more powerful then doing it quietly. Same thing with Prigozhin. A million opportunities to kill him but let's do the loudest one for max effect and blow up his private jet.

It's the phycology with Putin and he does things when you least expect him to do it but it serves a purpose, that he's in charge. Before this death was announced, what would the odds have been that he would have been killed at the START of the Munich Security Conference, with Navalny's wife there giving a speech, a massive US aid package to Ukraine being stalled in Congress? Most people would say probably very low possibility. To Putin it's "Well, just watch me" moments. Navalny could have been killed at any point since his return to Russia. Killing him now sends an effective message. Everything the US, NATO, EU and the allies have done to try and stop him hasn't worked.

What do you think happens next? Might as well sends troops over to Tallinn and see what's happening there. What do you think the American appetite for nuclear war is for Estonia? We are having enough issues when the leading candidate for President is pretty much saying NATO is useless and the slackers can be attacked and they can wipe their butts with the article 5 paperwork it was written on.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:41 AM   #55
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I do think Navalny know what his fate would be, but he wanted to be a Martyr. To prove Putin was a coward. Remember, Navalny was not a trapped mouse because he willingly chose to go back to Russia after being poisoned abroad, knowing he's go to jail
I think after being poisoned he went back to Russia to save his wife and 2 kids from Putin's brazen outreach, the guy will go down in history as a true hero.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:15 AM   #56
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

An article about another recent assassination by Putin and his seeming impunity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...emlin-message/
Old 02-22-2024, 05:18 AM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
An article about another recent assassination by Putin and his seeming impunity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...emlin-message/
Its pay-walled, can you give us some highlights?

Old 02-22-2024, 07:03 AM   #58
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its pay-walled, can you give us some highlights?
Quote:
The pastel-hued village where Russian pilot Maksim Kuzminov settled on the coast of Spain must have seemed a world away from the war he thought he had escaped last year when he defected to Ukraine. But the discovery of his bullet-riddled body last week appeared to deliver a menacing new signal from Moscow that those who cross the Kremlin — no matter how far they flee from the war’s front lines — should never consider themselves safe.

Kuzminov was killed in a barrage of gunfire and then run over with his own vehicle by assailants who then used the car to escape, according to Spanish authorities, Ukraine security officials and Spanish media reports.

The attack lacked the elaborate touches often associated with Russian assassination plots. He was not poisoned with a weapons-grade toxin or found in the wreckage of an aircraft that plunged from the sky. Yet the message behind Kuzminov’s death is the same as it has been through much of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s two-decade tenure, according to Western security officials and experts.

“It is a reminder for everyone who is in exile and actively in opposition to the regime — they are all on somebody’s list,” said Eugene Rumer, a former senior U.S. intelligence official who directs the Russia program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
First few paragraphs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 07:04 AM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. Yeah. That sounds about standard.

Old 02-26-2024, 05:54 AM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The plot thickens?

Quote:
MOSCOW - Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny was close to being freed in a prisoner swap at the time of his death, Maria Pevchikh, a Navalny ally, said on Monday, repeating her allegation that President Vladimir Putin had him killed.

Speaking on YouTube, Pevchikh said talks about exchanging Navalny and two unnamed U.S. nationals for Vadim Krasikov, a Russian FSB security service hit man in jail in Germany, were in their final stages at the time of his death.

"Alexei Navalny could be sitting in this seat right now, right today. That's not a figure of speech, it could and should have happened," said Pevchikh.

"Navalny should have been out in the next few days because we got a decision about his exchange. In early February, Putin was offered to exchange the killer, FSB officer Vadim Krasikov, who's serving time for a murder in Berlin, for two American citizens and Alexei Navalny."

Pevchikh said she had confirmation that negotiations for the swap were in their final stages on the evening of Feb. 15.

Navalny, she alleged, had been killed a day later because Putin could not tolerate the thought of him being free.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/navalny...ally-1.6783380

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: