Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2024, 09:34 AM   #61
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, you never perfected it? I’ve got it down to a science now. I prefer making my own dough though. I’ve bought the stuff from the Italian Centre and Coop and such, but it’s too bland and boring. Plus, I like to use some whole wheat or other flours sometimes.

I did think it was a steeper learning curve than I expected. I tried a lot of things and finally got it figured out. But I had some mangled pizzas and some complete messes on the way there.
I don't have the right peel, just the square one that comes with it. You definitely don't walk away, have to seem to keep spinning it for that minute and a half it takes to bake.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 09:37 AM   #62
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I only use my hands to flatten (not sure if you’re using a rolling pin?). But basically, I get a disc and then on the floured countertop, I press with my fingertips and stretch it out away from me. Then I pick it up and turn it, and repeat until the crust is all stretched out properly. And it can’t be too sticky because you won’t be able to get it on the peel, or of course off the peel to slid it into the oven (if you’re doing the Ooni or a stone).
I've tried rolling pins, fingers, spatulas etc. and unless I add a significant/crazy seeming amount of extra flour or oil, it'll stick to everything. I don't really want to add too much extra flour because I do like the cooked texture of the dough, but I couldn't figure out if this stickiness was normal or if somehow I'm doing something wrong at the surface level to "dig" into the sticky dough part somehow.

I think the only solution is improving my skills. No option with adding less flour, have to more flour. Perhaps a lot less pressure than what I see in videos so the flour stays at the surface as a barrier and doesn't end up getting sort of kneaded in, thus allowing for a surface barrier to be maintained that doesn't stick.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:27 AM   #63
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Semolina flour is great for making the dough not sticky and helps with sliding off the peel.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 10:36 AM   #64
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Semolina flour is great for making the dough not sticky and helps with sliding off the peel.
I may have to acquire some to experiment with the "finishing process" to see if it helps with the sticky dough. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2024, 10:51 AM   #65
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I may have to acquire some to experiment with the "finishing process" to see if it helps with the sticky dough. Thanks!
Check the temperature as well - sometimes if its too warm I find my dough is extra sticky.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 10:57 AM   #66
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Check the temperature as well - sometimes if its too warm I find my dough is extra sticky.
Mine is usually around or slightly above room temp after the machine is done making the dough. I'll try pulling it out and quickly chilling it in the fridge as well. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2024, 11:32 AM   #67
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is how I make my pizza crust. I never ROLL the dough.

Why go through all the trouble of making a dough with yeast to get all of those nice air bubbles and then roll the dough and squish them.

I make a wet dough as in the pictures in the link below. I press the dough a bit to get the initial shape and from there on in, I let the dough hang while turning it, letting gravity do the work to make it bigger.

This makes a beautiful crust.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...FBQUFBR0ljWklN

I bake mine on a steel, preheated for at least half an hour, in the top third of the oven. I prefer baking mine around 450F to 460F. I don't know if it is the altitude in Calgary or what, but I prefer the finished pizza at a lower temperature if baking in an oven.

Baking in a pizza oven is different of course.

By the way, you can use any recipe you want for your crust, just make it wetter to use this technique. Plus, you get way more flavor if you make the dough the day before, using the artisan method.

Wet dough

Little yeast

Cover and rise for 18 to 24 hours

Shape and bake

Edit: Things to keep in mind if trying the recipe above...or when making any yeast dough, or a quick bread which is a bread that uses baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast, such as biscuits, scones, etc.

The amount of flour in the recipe should be a guideline and not written in stone. Flour will not be the same all over the world as it depends on the humidity of the region that you live in.

If you are in Calgary, where it is very dry, your flour will be dry too. That means your flour will absorb more water than flour say in the southern states or Mediterranean regions where the humidity is high.....resulting in a dry dense product unless you compensate. To compensate for that in recipes, you either have to use a little less flour or a bit more liquid. My strategy is to start with a little less flour and then size up the situation as to how the dough looks and feels. And of course the opposite would hold true if you live in a region with high humidity.

Now as for the pizza dough recipe in the link above, or for any artisan breads you might want to try, go for the LOOK of the dough as shown in the recipe. If your pizza dough looks like the dough in the link above, you should get the same results.

Also, some make pizza with 00 flour, which is readily available anywhere. That will work. I use a flour that has 14% protein. Most flour sold is 13%, which is fine for cakes, muffins and the like. But higher protein flour makes better bread. How do you know which is which? Look on the side of the bag of flour. You want the fiber number to be 4%, not 3%.

When I make pizza dough like in the link above, or focaccia, ciabatta, flatbreads, which all use the wet dough, little yeast, rise on the counter for 18 to 24 hours method, I often add a bit of gluten as well, about 1/2 to 1 tsp per 4 cups flour. Gluten increases the protein and will give the dough extra strength.

Wet doughs produce products with bigger air holes, but at the same time, it is harder for them to hold their structure. That is why you want a flour with a high protein content. It will help support the structure of the bread so it does not collapse. You want nice long gluten strands to make those type of breads.

Last edited by redforever; 01-28-2024 at 01:41 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 02:15 PM   #68
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Mine is usually around or slightly above room temp after the machine is done making the dough. I'll try pulling it out and quickly chilling it in the fridge as well. Thanks!
Are you letting your dough rise?
Old 01-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #69
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Are you letting your dough rise?
Yes. I like the outcome of the dough, but it's just super tricky to pull out and flatten or pop ultra huge bubbles in the dough because of how sticky it is if something pokes it or mashes it. It comes out similar, but less sticky than what redforever posted, but after looking at that guide, the person in the video is using something like 3-4x more flour than I am on the surface before manipulating the dough. That might be why a less sticky skin is maintained vs me it's super easily kneaded into the dough to expose more stickiness. Same as a warm dough vs a chilled one.

I'll give these tricks a try next time and see what happens. The bowl scraper is also an interesting thing to try if the extra flour and temperature thing doesn't work, but I usually have no major issues getting it out of the bread maker. I just can't flatten it or shape it from blob shape without it sticking to everything that touches it.

Worst case, I just continue losing a bit of extra dough because it sticks to my hands or whatever.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:50 PM   #70
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I just think you should add some flour if it's that sticky. That's definitely what I would do.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 10:00 AM   #71
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Took me a while to find this but this video really helped me for the dough/pizza making process. Changed the outcome materially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsC...ist=WL&index=4
Old 01-28-2024, 01:15 PM   #72
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Anyone have a thin crust dough recipe they like? Maybe even with whole wheat?
Old 01-30-2024, 08:34 PM   #73
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I guess not.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 08:38 PM   #74
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Anyone have a thin crust dough recipe they like? Maybe even with whole wheat?
https://bakingthegoods.com/72-hour-p...-baking-steel/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 08:40 PM   #75
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I guess so.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 08:42 PM   #76
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You lost me at whole wheat but you can't go wrong with Kenji.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:44 PM   #77
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’ve finally perfected the serious eats foolproof pan pizza recipe.

* make sure the bowl when the dough is rising really does have a tight seal with the Saran Wrap.
* put dough in pan, let it sit for the recommended two hours. Have the oven preheat. Once preheated, set dough in oven for 11 minutes at 550 degrees. This step is important.
* take out, put on sauce, cheeses and toppings. Cook for additional 8-9 minutes.
* take pizza out, put on burner for 2 minutes to have the bottom crunch. let sit for 5-8 minutes. This is without preheating the cast iron pan.

The crunch in the dough is unbelievable! Happy I figured it out after four tries trying different methods on getting that crunch. No point in ever getting delivery or buying frozen pizzas again!

Now it’s time to perfect the dough itself in terms of taste. I’ve been adding flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and water.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 02-03-2024 at 07:48 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-05-2024, 01:53 PM   #78
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I'm usually a big fan of 'make it yourself' when you can, but the Rao's marinara is basically perfect.
Finally got around to trying this and I agree it's really quite good, way better than almost every one I've ever tried.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:24 AM   #79
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I’ve finally perfected the serious eats foolproof pan pizza recipe.

* make sure the bowl when the dough is rising really does have a tight seal with the Saran Wrap.
* put dough in pan, let it sit for the recommended two hours. Have the oven preheat. Once preheated, set dough in oven for 11 minutes at 550 degrees. This step is important.
* take out, put on sauce, cheeses and toppings. Cook for additional 8-9 minutes.
* take pizza out, put on burner for 2 minutes to have the bottom crunch. let sit for 5-8 minutes. This is without preheating the cast iron pan.

The crunch in the dough is unbelievable! Happy I figured it out after four tries trying different methods on getting that crunch. No point in ever getting delivery or buying frozen pizzas again!

Now it’s time to perfect the dough itself in terms of taste. I’ve been adding flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and water.
I trust you, but man that seems like so much extra heat. How hot is that burner at the end? Totally trying this.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:43 PM   #80
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I trust you, but man that seems like so much extra heat. How hot is that burner at the end? Totally trying this.
Medium burner heat give or take.

And I thought the same. But I ignored the advice given to me by a friend as I was afraid of burning my dough. But alas, my dough kept being undercooked, so I gave in and tried his suggestion. Voila!

Mind you, I rent and my oven is older, so I’m not sure how well it keeps heat in. I do not preheat my cast iron reason being I don’t want my hands to burn when I complete the final spread on the dough after letting it sit for 2 hours in the pan . I do however let my oven preheat.

YMMV depending on the oven, but I found that my dough cooks all the way through without burning the crust at the times I gave. If you follow the steps I did, but (possibly) change the amount of time in the oven to fit your circumstances, should turn out well.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 02-07-2024 at 03:45 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post: