Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #3521
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The guy scored a hat trick and dragged a tired and listless France team to penalties against an Argentina team that was firing on all cylinders. I wouldn't say he was 'invisible' for 60 minutes, rather that France couldn't give him any service under the constant Argentina aggressiveness. He scored three PKs under insane pressure. I needn't remind you what Kane did with his 2nd PK in comparison.

Beckham has disgraced himself as far as I am concerned. And I am a huge Beckham guy.
Yes he scored a hat trick. That consisted of two penalties. And yes under insane pressure. But greatest individual performance ever? He wasn't even MOTM.

Regardless of the reason. He was invisible for 80 minutes.

And totally agree regarding Beckham. He has tarnished his legacy.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:07 PM   #3522
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...it was certainly nice of the Argentinians to show the world how classy they are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #3523
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
It was the worst but it isn't much better at the Calgary Soccer Centre for boarded games. Still basically carpet on cement but without the salt.

Now those black beads on the turfs fields get every where and I mean every where.
The worst. Just the worst.

And a lot of football pundits decided to cover themselves in money rather than glory, hopefully we as fans dont forget it.

Beckham is going to be interesting seeing as how apparently the Qataris didnt really feel that they got a lot of value for their dumptrucks full of money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #3524
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Yes he scored a hat trick. That consisted of two penalties. And yes under insane pressure. But greatest individual performance ever? He wasn't even MOTM.

Regardless of the reason. He was invisible for 80 minutes.

And totally agree regarding Beckham. He has tarnished his legacy.
Did you see Beck's FB video short? "Can't believe I got away it" or something along those lines? It's sad, that two of United's greatest #7's, in the manner of a couple weeks, have sullied themselves to the shirt's faithful.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:37 PM   #3525
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...it was certainly nice of the Argentinians to show the world how classy they are.
Talking about the keeper and his golden glove pose or something else?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:46 PM   #3526
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Now that it's wrapped up, this has been such a memorable World Cup, and I hate saying that because of the abysmal human rights record of the host and the wastefulness.

Matchday 3 for the group stage was such a rollercoaster with some amazing matches, and some coming down to the death. Absolutely terrific.

Some riveting heavyweight matchups along the way - France vs England, Argentina vs Netherlands, with some great upsets to too. Argentina vs Saudi, Brazil vs Cameroon, Japan vs Spain & Germany. That Final was something to behold with the best individual performance I have ever seen in a WC Final from Mbappe (how did he not with MotM?), and drama right till the end. I'm still debating if going to penalties was a good or bad thing for the occasion. Reffing is always bitched about at WCs and this one was no different. I guess it's a feature at this point.

Now what of the stadiums? I know they built one of them to be dismantled easily, but the rest of them? So much waste and environmental damage for 64 matches of entertainment.

Can we just all agree to rotate the WC between the USA and Germany in the future?
The Qatar stadiums are not going to be as wasteful as Russia or even Brazil who built a 45,000 seater in the Amazon.

Qatar wants to be a central hub for events in the middle east and having stadiums in close proximity to each other is an advantage. I loved that in this world cup that teams were fresh and did not have to travel much. This is going to be a nightmare in 2026 and teams travel across the entire continent on a tight schedule. The 2026 is June 8 to July 3. That's 80 games in 26 days, good luck.

They've got the 24 team Asian Cup next year. They want to host other events including the World Club Cup. They are hosting the 2030 Asian Games and perhaps to bid for an Olympics in the future.

Last edited by GirlySports; 12-19-2022 at 09:48 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:00 PM   #3527
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Talking about the keeper and his golden glove pose or something else?
Thats up there, but between taunting the Dutch and everything else? Take your pick. Dealer's choice.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:32 PM   #3528
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats up there, but between taunting the Dutch and everything else? Take your pick. Dealer's choice.
What's everything else?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #3529
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Qatar wants to be a central hub for events in the middle east and having stadiums in close proximity to each other is an advantage.
What other events are there that need 8 soccer stadiums in close proximity?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 09:12 AM   #3530
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
What other events are there that need 8 soccer stadiums in close proximity?
Other soccer events. Asian Games need a few, soccer, track and field, rugby, cricket etc.. They could host a cricket world cup. And as i said, they want to host the first summer games in the middle east. Either them or Saudi, so they have to compete.

Not all 8 stadiums obviously and one was temporary anyways. They are going to be reduced capacity as well.

I just don't see how this is more wasteful than Russia for example. Is Russia ever going to host anything else, even before the war? Or Brazil and South Africa? Everyone dogs on the middle east but they are moving forward. They have a young population and want to host more and more events. And events like this may progress their society more.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #3531
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russian stadiums are occupied by clubs.
Brazil too.

Last edited by Bagor; 12-20-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #3532
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Other soccer events. Asian Games need a few, soccer, track and field, rugby, cricket etc.. They could host a cricket world cup. And as i said, they want to host the first summer games in the middle east. Either them or Saudi, so they have to compete.

Not all 8 stadiums obviously and one was temporary anyways. They are going to be reduced capacity as well.

I just don't see how this is more wasteful than Russia for example. Is Russia ever going to host anything else, even before the war? Or Brazil and South Africa? Everyone dogs on the middle east but they are moving forward. They have a young population and want to host more and more events. And events like this may progress their society more.
All that is fine and dandy. I'm just not sure that holding up Russia and that example is a great standard though. The reality is these last two world cups could've been in England and the USA respectively and it wouldn't have necessitated the stadiums being built, which is to say nothing of the deplorable human rights violations or people dying to make that happen.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #3533
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Did you see Beck's FB video short? "Can't believe I got away it" or something along those lines?
No. Curious. It on his FB page?

Old 12-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #3534
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Russian stadiums are occupied by clubs.
Brazil too.
Qatar has a league, maybe it'll improve!

Old 12-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #3535
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
All that is fine and dandy. I'm just not sure that holding up Russia and that example is a great standard though. The reality is these last two world cups could've been in England and the USA respectively and it wouldn't have necessitated the stadiums being built, which is to say nothing of the deplorable human rights violations or people dying to make that happen.
FIFA got way too greedy. They had a good thing going with all the handouts and corruption. Even if their World Cups were Russia/USA or England/Qatar they probably would have gotten away with it.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #3536
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Middle East certainly can, and likely will, be able to buy more events. Problem is it was plainly obvious to anyone with eyes that attendance at a lot of the matches was not close to full. So do FIFA risk more bribes to not even play at full stadiums? I'm skeptical. They can sell out in England, America, Germany etc... no problem because people actually want to go there. As we saw with Qatar, no one wants to go to a subdued party.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #3537
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Middle East certainly can, and likely will, be able to buy more events. Problem is it was plainly obvious to anyone with eyes that attendance at a lot of the matches was not close to full. So do FIFA risk more bribes to not even play at full stadiums? I'm skeptical. They can sell out in England, America, Germany etc... no problem because people actually want to go there. As we saw with Qatar, no one wants to go to a subdued party.
I agree. To start with the biggest event was probably too much for Qatar, even though they put on as best a show as they could. Must have one 80K seater and one 60K seater etc... And for a subdued party, not everyone is a drinker. The Arabs can throw a party.

I just don't think it's the 100% waste that the West is portraying. Qatar will host more events and maybe become a place people want to go to. I'm kind of curious about Souq Waqif, where TSN were located.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:18 AM   #3538
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until Qatar tries to be like Dubai, no one wants to go there. Especially when, you know, Dubai is right there. It is a fairly monumental waste, but they have the money to waste, so if they're cool with it who really cares?
Old 12-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #3539
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Until Qatar tries to be like Dubai, no one wants to go there. Especially when, you know, Dubai is right there. It is a fairly monumental waste, but they have the money to waste, so if they're cool with it who really cares?
I heard the Burj isn't connected to sewage waste systems. They truck the poop out.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #3540
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. Curious. It on his FB page?
He did a lot of videos before, talking about how he loves a spice market, loves food culture, loves a fish market, everybody knows how much he loves a taco, he loves riding, he loves a bike community, he loves talking, and eating, it's all perfection for him
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post: