Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #841
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean when you try and park the bus for more than an hour to see out a 1 goal lead, you always deserve to drop points. Of course as soon as Palace scored and Spurs tried attacking again they dominated. Perhaps consider that more often?
Yeah and I guess that’s a significant piece of it. We could’ve easily won anyway though, but Guaita made at least 3-4 unreal saves to preserve that point for them.

Zaha diving is nothing new to me though. Every time we play them it’s him rolling around drawing fouls. It’s ridiculous. But when they were getting chances in the air, it was an inevitable tactic.

Oh well. Surely Liverpool will be top of the league today and we play them Wednesday in what will hopefully be a good game.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #842
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean when you try and park the bus for more than an hour to see out a 1 goal lead, you always deserve to drop points. Of course as soon as Palace scored and Spurs tried attacking again they dominated. Perhaps consider that more often?
Hi Senator, have you met Mourinho?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #843
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On comments on zaha diving. He beats people and gets kicked over and over. He is one of the best dribblers in the league and multiple players have gone on record and said their game plan is to kick him.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...731.html%3famp

Nevermind that in the first half spurs were flopping all over the pitch, the palace crowd was on them and the ref about it.

That aside I thought a draw was pretty fair. Spurs did well in the first 30 and again over the last 15 or so but I thought palace were really positive and took it to them in between.

You could put it down to gameplan, as sherwood said postgame, was it Jose and intent to sit back vs palace pushing on. I think now that they have Eze on the other flank palace are a lot more dangerous but better team on paper should have won it with correct gameplan.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #844
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow fulham. They have looked to be clearly in that bottom 4 all year, stunning to see them in the lead here.

Also man Sheff utd, long ways to go but starting to wonder if they could challenge derby for worst epl season ever.

You think brewster isn't second guessing his decision to go there a little?
Old 12-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #845
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
On comments on zaha diving. He beats people and gets kicked over and over. He is one of the best dribblers in the league and multiple players have gone on record and said their game plan is to kick him.

Nevermind that in the first half spurs were flopping all over the pitch, the palace crowd was on them and the ref about it.

That aside I thought a draw was pretty fair. Spurs did well in the first 30 and again over the last 15 or so but I thought palace were really positive and took it to them in between.
I didn't see today's game, but I did see the highlights and the Palace keeper made at least three phenomenal saves.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #846
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You could put it down to gameplan, as sherwood said postgame, was it Jose and intent to sit back vs palace pushing on. I think now that they have Eze on the other flank palace are a lot more dangerous but better team on paper should have won it with correct gameplan.
He’s a baby. He goes down and whinges constantly. It’s a good gameplan against us because we haven’t been great on set pieces, and after a lot of attempts today, it worked.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #847
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I didn't see today's game, but I did see the highlights and the Palace keeper made at least three phenomenal saves.
He did make 3 good saves. Id day two that were exceptional. He also let in a bit of a howler that he misjudged. Shots were 16-14 palace. I think spurs could have pinched it 2-1 even if guiata saves the howler and lets in 1 or 2 of the good chances but 1-1 wasn't unfair either. Palace had their share of chances from good spots as well but were much less accurate shooting/making the keeper work. Zaha cut inside in the box and skied a couple shots he has put away in recent weeks.

If spurs pushed forward after goal one its hard to argue with the panel that they probably roll. Not only maybe get a second goal but keep palace from getting those chances. Sitting back hurt them if it was a tactical decision.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow fulham. They have looked to be clearly in that bottom 4 all year, stunning to see them in the lead here.

Also man Sheff utd, long ways to go but starting to wonder if they could challenge derby for worst epl season ever.

You think brewster isn't second guessing his decision to go there a little?
The announcers were just discussing the fact that its almost an entirely different team than the one that started the season.

Granted, I dont follow Fulham so I dont know the specifics of all that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #849
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
He’s a baby. He goes down and whinges constantly. It’s a good gameplan against us because we haven’t been great on set pieces, and after a lot of attempts today, it worked.
He definately whines a lot. But he 100% draws legitimate fouls... he is not a diver at all. He beats players and gets fouled. He reminds me of Jose Bautista. He is so talented but he mouths off the refs way too much and that part of his game doesn't help him in any way.

Sometimes a bump isn't a free kick is all. Hes not faking it and rolling around hurt. But he expects that shoulder checks etc should always be decided in his favor which isn't right.

Last edited by Matty81; 12-13-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #850
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Sheffield United win a game this season?

Old 12-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #851
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Starting to get a little thin at centre back. Henderson Fabinho pairing right now.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #852
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really shouldn't be a penalty, tough for Fulham
Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #853
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really shouldn't be a penalty, tough for Fulham
I wouldnt give that as a penalty. That was incredibly soft.

Fulham will justifiably feel hard done by on that one.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #854
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Starting to get a little thin at centre back. Henderson Fabinho pairing right now.
I think thats the plan. As the CBs drop like flies the Central Midfield just takes a few steps back and slot in for them.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #855
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

At least LiVARpool are back, that’s good news.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #856
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Jota and Tsimikas out for 6-8 weeks.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #857
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And Jota and Tsimikas out for 6-8 weeks.
It could be a tough Christmas period. Hopefully Thiago is alive somewhere, we will need him if our midfield has to play defence.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #858
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It could be a tough Christmas period. Hopefully Thiago is alive somewhere, we will need him if our midfield has to play defence.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking too.

Once Liverpool went down by one, Fulham parked the bus to try and force them to break them down and then break on the counter. Its a good strategy and they played it perfectly.

I'm a little disappointed in Matip, going off at half-time with a 'sore back.' Like...come on man. This guy cant string a handful of games together without getting hurt.

But in circumstances like that you need the players that can break that formation down, and we have those players.

Thiago is excellent...when hes healthy...which seems like never.

Fabinho is also excellent, but we need him playing CB because we're running out of people with a pulse who can do it.

Its going to be a brutal Christmas season if we dont get some bodies back. I think theres really no option now, Klopp is going to have to buy a CB during the window.

Which sucks because we've got lots of good ones. They're just all hurt.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #859
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Matip misses as much as he plays. Gomez too, but his have mostly been impact injuries that are hopefully just bad luck. Will definitely have to find someone in January who can do a job there.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #860
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Get those original comments in while you can I suppose. I’d be willing to bet that we win something this year.

Enjoy the relegation battle that’s hopefully looming though. Maybe you guys can call up Big Sam?

Win something.

Anything.

You haven’t hit the big time when you’re top before Christmas.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote