Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #701
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Is all contact automatically a penalty? There is clearly contact, but it has no impact on the play.
It doesn't have to. He clearly caught him.

Klopp interview is gonna be good!

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #702
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
It doesn't have to. He clearly caught him.

Klopp interview is gonna be good!
He did, yes, but I don’t think non impactful plays like that usually get called.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #703
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're making no sense.
It has zero relevance whether or not he is running away or towards the goal.
You kick someone it's a foul. A foul in the penalty area is a penalty.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #704
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

My biggest issue with VAR is that it is taking the enjoyment out of watching the game. You can’t celebrate a goal until play has resumed because of the high likelihood of a VAR check. Today it ruled out a goal for a milimeter offside on Salah, it gives a pen at the end there on a play that nobody thinks is a foul live. And then on the Mane goal that was correctly ruled out, VAR doesn’t catch that Liverpool had a free kick on a foul that shouldn’t have been called in the first place.

VAR has reduced the enjoyment of watching a game and I don’t think it is getting more calls correct then the refs were getting on their own before. I’m a supporter of technology in sports, but I don’t think this is being done right.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #705
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a weird one today.

In real time you can't see a penalty. But in slow mo it's clear.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #706
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
You're making no sense.
It has zero relevance whether or not he is running away or towards the goal.
You kick someone it's a foul. A foul in the penalty area is a penalty.
I mean non impactful in that Welbeck is out of the play at that point. He touches the ball, but he doesn’t have control and is not keeping that ball either way. I think it’s one of those that is a foul by the book, but isn’t typically called. You could slow down any play in the box and find some contact.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #707
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

VAR always the star

Ruining the game
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #708
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean non impactful in that Welbeck is out of the play at that point. He touches the ball, but he doesn’t have control and is not keeping that ball either way. I think it’s one of those that is a foul by the book, but isn’t typically called. You could slow down any play in the box and find some contact.
Of course they're called.
You catch or kick someone. It's a foul.
I could show you numerous penalties where the player has been taken down where if he was to stay on his feet the ball would have ran out of play.
A foul is a foul is a foul.

Last edited by Bagor; 11-28-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #709
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My biggest issue with VAR is that it is taking the enjoyment out of watching the game. You can’t celebrate a goal until play has resumed because of the high likelihood of a VAR check. Today it ruled out a goal for a milimeter offside on Salah, it gives a pen at the end there on a play that nobody thinks is a foul live. And then on the Mane goal that was correctly ruled out, VAR doesn’t catch that Liverpool had a free kick on a foul that shouldn’t have been called in the first place.

VAR has reduced the enjoyment of watching a game and I don’t think it is getting more calls correct then the refs were getting on their own before. I’m a supporter of technology in sports, but I don’t think this is being done right.
I didn’t get up to watch today, so I didn’t see any of that. But VAR is just a mess. It’s so particular for something like the player movement offside (when the ball is struck is basically a guess though). Then the fouls are a mess also; sometimes you have blatant fouls not overturned because the ref doesn’t want to look foolish, and other times you have the weakest call that by the absolute letter of the law is a foul, but no one actually believes is (I’m thinking of these ridiculous handballs).

I think there are obvious fixes and I do think that technology could improve some things. But this implementation is just causing more issues.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #710
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course they're called.
You catch or kick someone. It's a foul.
I could show you numerous penalties where the player has been taken down where if he was to stay on his feet the ball would have fan of of okay.
A foul is a foul is a foul.
That’s the goal. It’s not the way it actually is though. With VAR, there should be no need to embellish, but we all know they still have to go down.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #711
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That’s the goal. It’s not the way it actually is though. With VAR, there should be no need to embellish, but we all know they still have to go down.
You obviously haven't seen the incident. He didn't tap or touch him.
It was a full on (unintentional) kick.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #712
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You obviously haven't seen the incident. He didn't tap or touch him.
It was a full on (unintentional) kick.
I said I didn’t see this morning. I’m just saying that VAR should eliminate the need to embellish, but it doesn’t. Maybe in this particular case it worked, and it will get something right (we’d all hope), but it’s not close to perfect.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #713
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

How on earth do you think that VAR should eliminate the need to embellish. If anything it's going to be the opposite.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #714
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How on earth do you think that VAR should eliminate the need to embellish. If anything it's going to be the opposite.
Because a foul is a foul, is a foul? VAR should spot that and it shouldn’t be necessary to exaggerate to draw the whistle. It still is, but it doesn’t need to be that way.

I can’t tell if you’re serious. We’ve all seen plays where a player is “too honest” and doesn’t get the call he’d otherwise get if only he dropped. Instead we have guys like Bruno Fernandes flopping around and hoping to add to his tally each week. It’s embarrassing, and with VAR could be eliminated.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #715
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes a foul is a foul is a foul but often they're missed by the refs in real time.

Therefore any contact to encourage embellishment knowing that the contract week be picked up on show mo.

Aren't you the same idiot that defended embellishment under Poch? You're all for it....yes?

Old 11-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #716
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes a foul is a foul is a foul but often they're missed by the refs in real time.

Therefore any contact to encourage embellishment knowing that the contract week be picked up on show mo.

Aren't you the same idiot that defended embellishment under Poch? You're all for it....yes?
I'm not defending embellishment at all. I'm saying that players are driven to do it because they want to draw penalties. It's not good for the game, but it's still the reality of the game. The powers that be seem to be fine with this, so there's nothing I can do about that.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #717
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Yes you were when Alli and Spurs were flopping all over the place with Poch.

What was your brilliant logic? If there's contact and he goes down it therefore is not a dive.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #718
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. Yes you were when Alli and Spurs were flopping all over the place with Poch.

What was your brilliant logic? If there's contact and he goes down it therefore is not a dive.
No, like I say, I think that's what players do to draw fouls. I think that's commonplace through the game. It doesn't mean it's what I think should happen.

This past week, when Maradona died, there were all kinds of videos of his highlights. It's striking how fouls at that time were so obvious and players knew what they could do. Now we've let that move from those clear and obvious fouls to the players trying to make them look clear and obvious. I guess it depends on what you prefer to see. But I'd guess more people would prefer the way it used to be played as opposed to players writhing around until the card comes out and making a miraculous recovery in time to take the kick.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #719
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of who you agree with here, this is entertaining as hell.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1332702808127270912
Old 11-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #720
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a classless b!tch. Chris Wilder is clearly in his head calling him out for his hypocrisy. Good to see the reporter school him when he tried his childish "congratulations" crap to him.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post: