Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #2601
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Still playing Space Haven, if you want to check it out it really is fun. However the issue is that they're still adding on facilities and features.

I got food production figured out, and then they added the need for compost to the need for light and Co2 and water to grow plants, So you suddenly had to build a composter and preferably have a chemical factory.

Also they've added on a water collector to go with your water recycler so it added other dimensions.

I keep starting over because I really like the idea of modifying my ship design. The last ship I had I got to full manufacturing so I was making a ton of money in trading, and I added 20 turrets and duel shields with the money I was making and went around killing pirates and taking their stuff.

One really cool feature is you can build a prison on your ship so if you capture pirates you can imprison them and try to convert them to your crew.

Its a fun game, not a lot of bugs to it so far. But its tough and one bad build decision or trade decision can really screw you.

Oh and I had a crew member literally poop himself to death. That was cool.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #2602
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh and I had a crew member literally poop himself to death. That was cool.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #2603
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me or is Horizon: Zero Dawn really difficult? I've been playing on normal but ended up hitting a wall around level 10 where I die on every mission. There is an especially difficult one with two sawtooths that I tried about a dozen times before giving up.

I'm going to drop down to Easy to see if that helps. Also think I need to be better prepared with choosing outfits and weapon types before battles.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #2604
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't find it difficult until you get to the Stormbirds. Challenging at times, but not too difficult.

I'm not sure what you've been doing, but if I were to guess, I'd say you probably need to vary what weapons you're using depending on the type of enemy you're up against, assess their weak points and weaknesses... it's a pretty strategic game, combat-wise. Just firing your short bow at everything isn't going to work out well at all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #2605
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea you really have to plan what weapon and ammo type you use against each enemy, and target their weak points.

Last edited by codynw; 06-22-2020 at 12:50 AM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #2606
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It gets harder?!? Oh man I'm so frustrated by that one quest with two sawtooths. I find a good hiding spot, set up traps, then hit one in the soft spot with a fire arrow. I can manage to get the one killed or close to it but by then the 2nd one is after me at 100% health and I'm boned.

Yeah I probably do need to be more patient and come up with strategies. I had been playing a lot of Uncharted where you just find cover and pump the enemies with ammo but that won't work in a game where heavily armoured enemies come speeding towards you.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 AM   #2607
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea sawtooths are a pretty entry level enemy to be honest. They get bigger and stronger. Especially in the DLC.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #2608
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
EA announces a new Skate game and we’re sitting here talking about space planes???
I'll get more amped for a new installment of Skate when they release some gameplay teasers. My focus right now is still the THPS 1+2 remake releasing this fall.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #2609
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty great humble bundle today

https://www.humblebundle.com/fight-f...n=tile_index_1
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #2610
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
It gets harder?!? Oh man I'm so frustrated by that one quest with two sawtooths. I find a good hiding spot, set up traps, then hit one in the soft spot with a fire arrow. I can manage to get the one killed or close to it but by then the 2nd one is after me at 100% health and I'm boned.
It's been a long time since I finished the game and I don't remember the mission you're referring to, but in general, for dealing with sawtooths, it sounds like you're on the right track. Tripcaster or ropecaster are two ways to pin the sawtooth down, at which point you can hit it with strong spear.

If it's up, you shoot it with fire arrows until the circle turns white, indicating that it's on fire, and then run like hell as it burns. Repeat once the fire dies down. One thing they don't tell you about fire arrows (or maybe they do and I forgot) is that they have a cumulative effect, but diminishing returns after a certain number. You need to build up the white ring that shows the "fire" status, let it burn, and then do it again. Hopefully eventually the blaze canisters on its belly will explode and that should take off most of its health.

The ninja strat is to look at the sawtooth's path, then quietly sneak up behind it and shoot it with a fire arrow in between its hind legs, hitting the blaze canister that way, then immediately fleeing to tall grass.
Quote:
Yeah I probably do need to be more patient and come up with strategies. I had been playing a lot of Uncharted where you just find cover and pump the enemies with ammo but that won't work in a game where heavily armoured enemies come speeding towards you.
Yeah, it's definitely not this. In Uncharted, you go toe to toe with multiple enemies who are all weaker and easier to kill than you are. The premise of Horizon is precisely the opposite - you're an insect in a world filled with creatures that can easily kill you and the goal is to not let them get close enough to do it. Most combat, especially against the bigger, more dangerous machines, involves a lot of hiding and scheming.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #2611
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #2612
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
This looks like a video game commercial from Rick and Morty's multiverse TV box thingy.

"Bloodstained, curse of the...uh um... m...oooon....TWO!"
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #2613
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
This looks like a video game commercial from Rick and Morty's multiverse TV box thingy.

"Bloodstained, curse of the... m...oooon....TWO!"
You haven't even gotten to Fight Crab

Aside from the major western publishers, there are some of the smaller but still significant japanese publishers having their expo today.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #2614
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
You haven't even gotten to Fight Crab

Aside from the major western publishers, there are some of the smaller but still significant japanese publishers having their expo today.
Lol, no I saw fight crab and started laughing pretty hard.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #2615
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

"Bloodstained, curse of the...uh um... m...oooon....TWO!"
Lol so true. And Curse of the Moon 2 was the only worthwhile announcement in the whole thing too, what a dud.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #2616
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The only thing that really caught my attention was one of the rapid fire clips near the end - Tasomachi. The graphic style looked really nice. I guess it was previously announced which is why it got only a short clip? Either way, I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it's something I'd actually play.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #2617
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of a crazy development with AC: Valhalla, as creative director Ashraf Ismail has just announced on Twitter he is stepping down from the game amidst some allegations. The game is due out in under 6 months, I wonder how this changes things with that.

Ismail was in charge of some of the better Assassin's Creed titles, like Black Flag and Origins.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #2618
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Something that has bothered me for a while about gaming culture (not this thread) but just in general is how fickle and disgruntled the people seem to be. Fanboys, console wars, downvoting something they don't agree with etc. It seems like if something doesn't fit their pre conceived idea of what that thing should be they go ballistic- even if they haven't played a game or know all of the facts yet.

Stumbled into a huge example of this today. On metacritic The Last of Us Part 2 has an average critic rating of 9.5 and an average user rating of 4.4. There are tons of reviews giving this game a 0/10 because the story isn't what they expected. I would put money on many of these reviews coming from people who haven't even played the game.

On the flip side the new Spongebob remaster has an average critic rating of 6.7 and an average user rating of 9.1.

What a strange culture.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #2619
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Something that has bothered me for a while about gaming culture (not this thread) but just in general is how fickle and disgruntled the people seem to be. Fanboys, console wars, downvoting something they don't agree with etc. It seems like if something doesn't fit their pre conceived idea of what that thing should be they go ballistic- even if they haven't played a game or know all of the facts yet.

Stumbled into a huge example of this today. On metacritic The Last of Us Part 2 has an average critic rating of 9.5 and an average user rating of 4.4. There are tons of reviews giving this game a 0/10 because the story isn't what they expected. I would put money on many of these reviews coming from people who haven't even played the game.

On the flip side the new Spongebob remaster has an average critic rating of 6.7 and an average user rating of 9.1.

What a strange culture.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #2620
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Upload VR summer showcase.

For those that have Occulus/Valve/HTC headsets. Lots of talking heads not a whole lot of content sadly.

Looking forward to the CDPR presentation on Cyberpunk 2077 tomorrow. Apparently they have a new trailer going up.