Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #281
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Considering the Leafs had to trade a 4th to San Jose for them to retain 25% of Foligno's contract just for the remainder of the season I don't see why the Leafs saving the Oilers 500k per season on cap is only worth a 6th. It's at least a 4th.

Leafs are in caphell and rightfully no teams are going out of their way to help them. So I find it hilarious Oilers expect the Leafs to help them out for a meaningless 6th.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #282
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Considering the Leafs had to trade a 4th to San Jose for them to retain 25% of Foligno's contract just for the remainder of the season I don't see why the Leafs saving the Oilers 500k per season on cap is only worth a 6th. It's at least a 4th.

Leafs are in caphell and rightfully no teams are going out of their way to help them. So I find it hilarious Oilers expect the Leafs to help them out for a meaningless 6th.
$500k per year for 8 years - probably worth a 2nd or a 3rd
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #283
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea how much it's worth but because those numbers were put out there (by the Oilers? by Hyman's agent?), Dubas can justify his ask and make Holland match it. Besides, Holland needs the cap room more than Dubas needs a late round pick.

Somewhat lost in all of this is Hyman -- it's worth an extra $2.5 million for him as well. But I don't think the Leafs are going to do him any favors either.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 PM   #284
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

Those are completely different situations.

The Leafs were asking the Sharks to pay 25% of Foligno's salary for the rest of the season. Sharks were paying out real life actual dollars. They weren't getting something for nothing.

In the case of Dubas and Hyman, Dubas isn't being asked to make any kind of sacrifice. He would literally get something for nothing.

Perhaps Dubas would rather get nothing than a late pick to prove a point.
Although it seems a little late for Dubas to try to sell himself as a tough negotiator after some of the contracts he has handed out.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 07-25-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #285
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

The Leafs were asking the Sharks to pay 25% of Foligno's salary for the rest of the season. Sharks were paying out real life actual dollars. They weren't getting something for nothing.

In the case of Dubas and Hyman, Dubas isn't being asked to make any kind of sacrifice. He would literally get something for nothing.

Although it seems a little late for Dubas to try to sell himself as a tough negotiator after some of the contracts he has handed out.
It's not nothing. The Oilers are their competitors, and there is always a cost to helping a competitor. It may not be on the ice, but maybe in the future they are bidding on the same FA, and I'm sure then Dubas would like the Oilers to have $500k less cap space available.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #286
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cap space isn't nothing. But if Dubas gives it to the Oilers for nothing, he makes it nothing and gives the Oilers value for free. And other GMs would rightly punish him for it.

Obviously, as an Oiler fan, you want the saved cap space, and for as cheap as possible. But you are not looking at it fairly.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #287
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is funny, coming from an Oiler fan.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #288
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's always been this sort of unspoken rule with NHL GMs that they'd rather let an asset go for nothing than agree to a markedly unfair deal for that asset.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #289
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In the end it's still a team you are in competition with, both on the ice and for future free agents.

So why give them an advantage that allows them to save $500k per season on the cap, if they aren't willing to pay you for it.

What if both teams are in on another player in UFA in the future and it's that $500k savings that allows Edmonton to outbid you?

It's smart by Dubas to not give Edmonton that value for only a 6th.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #290
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

All you need to do, in order to understand it, is put the shoe on the other foot.

If Toronto were trying to sign an ex-Oiler for cheaper, how would you feel about Holland just gifting them that advantage?
Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #291
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Father in law Oilers fan thinks this signing is amazing. Not surprisingly I couldn't convince him otherwise. Even if Hyman clicks with McDingle for a couple years, this has buyout written all over it in 5 years or so.

E=NG
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #292
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I’m happier with the 7 year deal anyways.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #293
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Yikes.

Enjoy that kool-aid while it still tastes good.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #294
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Saves 2 years in the event of a buyout.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #295
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Father in law Oilers fan thinks this signing is amazing. Not surprisingly I couldn't convince him otherwise. Even if Hyman clicks with McDingle for a couple years, this has buyout written all over it in 5 years or so.

E=NG
there is no question that Hyman makes the Oilers better. The only solace is that there will be a big price to pay down the road.

But I think the Oilers know that Rebuild 5.0 starts in 5 years anyway.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #296
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
there is no question that Hyman makes the Oilers better. The only solace is that there will be a big price to pay down the road.

But I think the Oilers know that Rebuild 5.0 starts in 5 years anyway.
Shame about their goal tending and D which is worse
Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #297
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

NHL Network Radio was citing some "rumors" that the Oilers were looking at Getzlaf & Nick Foligno. Not only have I not seen that, but also I'm surprised we haven't seen any waiver activity from them for buyouts yet.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #298
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hyman addition or not, they've completely neglected the back end. They're going to piss away that time between now and rebuild #8 with ease.

Even the "smart" oiler posters stopping by to beat their chests are looking dumb.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #299
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
There's always been this sort of unspoken rule with NHL GMs that they'd rather let an asset go for nothing than agree to a markedly unfair deal for that asset.
A 6th round pick is way more in line with value for UFA rights than a second.

Goodrow just went for a 7th to the Rangers. I believe the highest pick ever given was a 3rd in a few cases. For instance Bouwmeester to the Flames.

Seems like the highest prices were paid when this first became a thing ten years ago. I don't recall anyone trading a third for UFA rights lately but don't know for sure.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #300
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Saves 2 years in the event of a buyout.
That's completely irrelevant for the Oilers will be in full tear down by then. The cap savings now is more important.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote