Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #341
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Pretty sure it wouldn't be as flattering with current her in the old suit.
Resistance is futile
Old 02-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #342
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Pretty sure it wouldn't be as flattering with current her in the old suit.
I respectfully disagree.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #343
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought uber-French Picard was pretty funny.
While it was funny in isolation, it doesn't IMO fit the Jean Luc Picard character we knew from TNG and the movies. It was more Patrick Stewart than Jean Luc Picard.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #344
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
While it was funny in isolation, it doesn't IMO fit the Jean Luc Picard character we knew from TNG and the movies. It was more Patrick Stewart than Jean Luc Picard.
Yup, which is why I was all "what show am I watching?" Same with the Freecloud stuff.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #345
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Doesn't it? Even in tng Picard is an actor. We've seen him play a role going through all of tng and the movies. Whether it was assuming the role of Dixon Hill, gruff artefact smuggler Galen, or even being an over the top troupe leader in time's arrow. I think it was, over the top but not out of character.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #346
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameon View Post
pretty sure it wouldn't be as flattering with current her in the old suit.
Agree to disagree.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1231680228197642243
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #347
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Doesn't it? Even in tng Picard is an actor. We've seen him play a role going through all of tng and the movies. Whether it was assuming the role of Dixon Hill, gruff artefact smuggler Galen, or even being an over the top troupe leader in time's arrow. I think it was, over the top but not out of character.
it's not that straightforward though. Picard's "acting" during the Maddox rescue was something out of a Nickelodeon made for TV flick, or a really bad SNL skit. this is a situation where they are surrounded by interplanetary gangsters that could vaporize his whole crew in a millisecond if they make the wrong move. and he's also standing beside a giant lizard that can literally smell dishonesty.

for a super dangerous personal mission that means getting closer to the truth about the Synthetics and Romulans, we're supposed to believe that Starfleet legend Picard decided that the path to success was busting out his best impression of Pepe Le Pew on crack? a bit of levity is good where appropriate, but if the title character of the series isn't going to take things seriously when needed, then why should the audience?

I see Patrick Stewart having a whale of a time getting back in front of the camera, but I'm not seeing very much Picard. it reminds me of how Troi stopped looking, speaking and behaving like her character when they got to the movies, and just turned into Marina Sirtis hanging out with her castmates.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #348
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

speaking of Troi, the bad woman holding Maddox looks way too much like early 90's Marina Sirtis to be a coincidence.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #349
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
it's not that straightforward though. Picard's "acting" during the Maddox rescue was something out of a Nickelodeon made for TV flick, or a really bad SNL skit. this is a situation where they are surrounded by interplanetary gangsters that could vaporize his whole crew in a millisecond if they make the wrong move. and he's also standing beside a giant lizard that can literally smell dishonesty.

for a super dangerous personal mission that means getting closer to the truth about the Synthetics and Romulans, we're supposed to believe that Starfleet legend Picard decided that the path to success was busting out his best impression of Pepe Le Pew on crack? a bit of levity is good where appropriate, but if the title character of the series isn't going to take things seriously when needed, then why should the audience?

I see Patrick Stewart having a whale of a time getting back in front of the camera, but I'm not seeing very much Picard. it reminds me of how Troi stopped looking, speaking and behaving like her character when they got to the movies, and just turned into Marina Sirtis hanging out with her castmates.

At one point in that whole sequence I started wondering if this was Jean Luc playing a holosuite game or if he was in the throes of a dementia related nighmare.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #350
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At one point in that whole sequence I started wondering if this was Jean Luc playing a holosuite game or if he was in the throes of a dementia related nighmare.
hah, yeah if they want to explain it as one of the symptoms of his Irumodic syndrome, then ok I feel some sympathy.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #351
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
While likely on many of the same things that that Rios was to hide his facade. They also went into this with the only advice being "be flamboyant", so he was flamboyant.

Quote:

You mean she started to take on some of the characteristics of her mother? I am again shocked that kids start to act like their parents. Shocked.

You seem to enjoy nitpicking, but you seem to pick things that can be easily explained by actually watching the show and its predecessor.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #352
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
While likely on many of the same things that that Rios was to hide his facade. They also went into this with the only advice being "be flamboyant", so he was flamboyant.
sorry, I must have missed the explanation about how the pheromone masking agent also had the side effect of cutting Bjayzl and her posse's collective IQ in half, to the point where they're not suspicious of the french cartoon character they're speaking with. Rios was flamboyant; Picard was an all-out assault on story immersion.

Quote:
You mean she started to take on some of the characteristics of her mother? I am again shocked that kids start to act like their parents. Shocked.
no actually I don't. Lwaxana was a space aristocrat crossed with Blanche from Golden Girls. TNG movie Troi didn't turn into that, Marina just lost the demeanour and intonation of her TV character. maybe I'm not the one that needs to go back and review the details.

Quote:
You seem to enjoy nitpicking, but you seem to pick things that can be easily explained by actually watching the show and its predecessor.
it may help if you knew what nitpicking actually is. complaining about how a samurai sword is useless against disruptors is nitpicking (still love ya Cap). being irritated that they're re-using the Chateau Picard set on a small ship with presumably limited resources is nitpicking. what I'm doing is criticising the characterisation of the show's protagonist.

at no point have I thrown out one liners about how the show sucks and how I swear I'm gonna stop watching and posting about it soon. I'm still looking forward to every episode and am trying to have a real in-depth discussion about it. this thread isn't going to be some type of criticism-free lovefest, so better get used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #353
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the show so far, but is it just me or is the music...grating?
It just keeps going, especially during the dialogue and it makes it hard to hear sometimes.

Nice seeing Seven of Nine again.
JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #354
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally, an episode that didn't suck.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #355
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Riker next week, according to the preview.

And an added bonus, looks like they didn't try to squeeze him into a Starfleet uniform after the Enterprise finale debacle.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #356
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Finally, an episode that didn't suck.
I agree, finally things are starting to happen.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #357
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the best episode yet.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #358
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah that was pretty good
Old 02-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #359
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1233524414752468992

Awesome.
JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #360
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who is Maja Vrvilo and why were they letting Frakes behind the camera for any episodes at all when she was available? Not only was everything impressively more cinematic, I swear the acting improved too. I didn’t even feel like fast forwarding this time when the Romulan incest siblings were on screen.

I do like Picard’s ongoing PTSD with borg stuff, which is something that TNG was pretty light on after Best of Both Worlds. I can see how he’d be worse off than other rehabilitated drones, since he was personally responsible for tens of thousands of deaths and the near loss of Earth. Or maybe he was just haunted by the fact that for all their technological perfection, the Borg still refused to invent handrails. Between them and the Star Wars Empire, somebody needs to figure that out.