Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #341
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread. Quite possible this could be a new thread worthy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1213505072232976390
Why would Sportsnet leak this out ? .... maybe or maybe not a bargaining ploy? ..... maybe just a courtesy to the Flames ??
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #342
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ####en hate Sportsnet

What about a photo of Kassian getting laid out by a legal hit?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #343
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

This is the photo they should use

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #344
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread. Quite possible this could be a new thread worthy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1213505072232976390
Bring back 2&7 hockey!

Last edited by Dion; 01-31-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #345
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ten trillion times better than spunknet. Back when there was mark of professionalism that was upheld and strived for.

Game broadcasts are for bringing the game to the general population and the play by play is for helping casual viewers and outsiders to understand what is happening and injecting excitement into *the game* (not team A/B). Somewhere SNET completely lost their way in this regard.

I have so much respect for guys like Maher who aside from the occasional "yeah baby" for milestones or big moments, would call the game with excitement both ways and for all players when warranted. It's part of what made him a legend. He made THE GAME exciting, all around. Regardless of how it was going for this or that side.

There is such thing as getting *too close* to your work and the staff at SNET are examples of that. Some have fully embraced this outright obsession with McDavid, specific players, and certain teams, and lost track of what it means to be an analyst that is there to serve as an expert and relay all relevant information as well as provide insights that only an insider's perspective can provide, not dish their personal slants at every turn. They've all but completely abandoned the former in the last couple seasons and it's frankly embarrassing to witness.

I don't care who you fancy, just have the self awareness to reel yourself in here and there from going too far into glorified fan territory when you do it and have the integrity to maintain a semblance of professionalism and respect for your craft.

The mountains they've made out of mole hills as far as actual events from guys like Spector using the national Sportsnet handle to put out his personally biased content is so incredible unprofessional, I cringed with embarrassment for him.

I can't believe that of the half dozen or so relevant guys that work hockey content in that city, they've gotten to a point where rather than take a step back and give accurate assessments while shielding themselves from the noise around them (like any one working on the teams would advise to do), they instead just rile each other up more over made up drama, and no one has a shred of enough sense to call any of the others out. Clicks over credibility. It's unbelievable that all these people in the business so long have just allowed themselves to go off the deep end and push articles that are hardly above angry ranting posts you'd see on HF.

Ever since the Oilers cinderella season where they got a taste of something more than mediocrity it seems like SNET, and all the post-media guys with Oilers allegiance have had their pants around their ankles on a "professional" front.

It's shades of Trump with his twitter from an outside perspective. Some people don't have self control or etiquette when using social media, it's a tool that was dropped into their hands and no one taught them the dos and don'ts for being a professional with a web presence that is open to the public, and all these 50-60 somethings around SNET and other media outlets are examples of that, and like kids, they just don't seem to know better and haven't figured it out.

Yes, maybe the battle of alberta escalating to a new level is good for the game, good for the sport. And with how things have unfolded, it's evident that the fans will take care of that bustling rivalry on their own. But as the media with coverage rights, you take care of the game side of things, which is the information and coverage, you don't descend into the trenches with the fans. Otherwise what separates you from them?

Be better than that.

Last edited by djsFlames; 02-01-2020 at 02:32 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #346
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet is doing a CBC move by conceding to their arch rival TSN. They are giving up their Sunday night exclusivity by allowing TSN to show the Blackhawks-Jets game during the Leafs-Sabres game. Earth to Sportsnet, show the Blackhawks-Jets game on Sportsnet One or SN360. There are other Jets matinee games that could be traded to TSN3.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #347
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
Sportsnet is doing a CBC move by conceding to their arch rival TSN. They are giving up their Sunday night exclusivity by allowing TSN to show the Blackhawks-Jets game during the Leafs-Sabres game. Earth to Sportsnet, show the Blackhawks-Jets game on Sportsnet One or SN360. There are other Jets matinee games that could be traded to TSN3.
Are they allowed to have two national games at the same time on Sunday though? They may not be allowed to also nationally show the Jets game within their contract.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #348
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Are they allowed to have two national games at the same time on Sunday though? They may not be allowed to also nationally show the Jets game within their contract.
Sportsnet is allowed to show two games simultaneously on Sundays. The most recent was two weeks ago, BJs-Habs and Canucks-Hurricanes.

There is a quota on how many games Sportsnet can show nationally for the Jets, it is 22 games. The networks can trade games during the season. It is surprising that Sportsnet did not do this in this situation.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #349
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watching just about any teams regional coverage in the states makes Sportsnet look like a joke playing us all for fools.

Every team from the Sabres to the Sharks have an in game host for their team in an actual studio in their actual city.

What do we get? Game hosts pumped out of Toronto & in arena analysts on stools in a hallway in front of a camera.

They pump out this garbage because they know we’re a captured audience & have no other options.

I get that it’s more cost effective for Sportsnet to operate like this, but when they compare to other operations in the states they look more & more like a bunch of hacks.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #350
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone catch the Knights vs Capitals last night on SN? The feed was just awful. My brother commented that it looked like 480p widescreen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #351
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boudreau, Kesler, Bissonnette, Bieksa, and Versteeg on for trade deadline.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #352
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
They pump out this garbage because they know we’re a captured audience & have no other options.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #353
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Boudreau, Kesler, Bissonnette, Bieksa, and Versteeg on for trade deadline.

Bieksa AND Kesler

If you were looking for another reason to watch TSN's coverage, here are two more. Too bad, because I like Versteeg.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #354
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
Bieksa AND Kesler

If you were looking for another reason to watch TSN's coverage, here are two more. Too bad, because I like Versteeg.
I think Bissonette, Boudreau and Versteeg might lean it the other way imo.

Who am I kidding, not like I was going to watch either
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #355
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
Bieksa AND Kesler

Kesler is an idiot and so is Bieska yet I find Bieska entertaining in his new role .
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #356
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Kesler is an idiot and so is Bieska yet I find Bieska entertaining in his new role .
Yeah, Bieksa actually has some personality as a analyst. I've liked him when they've had him around. I feel he's gonna eventually become a mainstay on Sportsnet.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #357
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don’t mind Bieksa at all on TV really.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #358
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bieksa is great for interviews and TV. Good personality for a guest.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #359
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bieska might have a future on the sports dinner circuit.

I find him rather entertaining as well.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #360
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the hell does no one at Sportsnet watch Hometown Hockey and think that maybe this is awful television. Nobody cares about the Bantam A team from LaSalle Ontario or the Peewee B team from Dipstick, Saskatchewan. Seriously. This stuff is just awful.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post: