Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #1681
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Not trying to read anything on this thread cuz I still need to watch season 6. That being said I just caught up to season 5 but season 6 not on Netflix yet obviously and on demand seems to have episodes missing. Anyone know of anywhere else I can watch
I tried the AMC plus app… but it too doesn’t have season 6… just the last episode.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:19 AM   #1682
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Oh and also - much better than Breaking Bad, which had a Game of Thrones style debacle at the end with the moronic machine-gun car. That was like a delicious six course meal followed by a seventh course of broccoli and spider souffle.
Felina was a masterpiece
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #1683
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

his best interview yet

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #1684
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Oh and also - much better than Breaking Bad, which had a Game of Thrones style debacle at the end with the moronic machine-gun car. That was like a delicious six course meal followed by a seventh course of broccoli and spider souffle.

Strongly disagree. The BB finale was one of the best I've ever seen, and the machine gun car was a hell of a lot of fun.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 PM   #1685
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Strongly disagree. The BB finale was one of the best I've ever seen, and the machine gun car was a hell of a lot of fun.
BB finale was a bit of a love it or hate it, but I found it really emotional and thought the machine gun thing worked with Walt's science based/MacGyver like methods to get out of a jam.

GOT had a terrible last couple seasons and the finale was a bit blah, but didn't really move the needle one way or the other on how people felt about the last seasons.

BCS final season and finale would probably my vote for best finish to a season. I found it a bit more mature in terms of story telling and character development. And being that it is almost a decade later, those of us who watched both series as they are released are probably a bit more mature as well .
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #1686
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Breaking Bad's final season in general was weak (relatively).

building up and overcoming cartel issues though the life of the show and then at the end "jk, nazi bikers lol"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:59 AM   #1687
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
his best interview yet

This was better when it was called "Between Two Ferns"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #1688
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
what a great show.

I got to say though, I didn't quite like it as much as BB... though I think that it definitely was on the same tier.

its definitely more of a slow burn and more subtle show, especially the first 3 years...
I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. I enjoyed BB much more. Have re-watched it about 5 times. Each and every time is just an great as the first time. BCS is good, but it's not even on my all-time top TV show list. Had some good part, even great. Lots of filler. Some parts boring. I think a lot of the show was nostalgia based on how great BB was. Without BB existing and this show on it's own, I think it rates a lot lower without having that nostalgia factor. If I hadn't ever seen BB and watched only this show, I would likely find it more boring than not. Just my opinion. I know a few people who loved BB, but couldn't fully get into BCS.

Wasn't a big fan of the Gene arc at the shopping center, but overall I thought the ending was good. Was totally expecting Saul to weasel his way out, but was pleasantly surprised to see him take his lumps. I thought the story of him meeting Walter White getting told twice was genius, especially with the "twist" ending. Saul was right; he only had to convince 1 jury, and she was sitting in the back watching.

Maybe in the future some fan editor will chop the entire BB, BCS and El Camino plot into sequential order and I can re-watch it that way and see if it works. Will miss this show, but not as much as other top shows that ended.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 09-07-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:45 PM   #1689
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhea Seehorn was snubbed for an Emmy again. To me, she carried that show - which is impressive considering the caliber of actors that she was working with. The show has one more year of eligibility so hopefully they get it right next time.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #1690
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This was better when it was called "Between Two Ferns"
Better maybe, but it was still a great web series. Milana and Stevie had great chemistry.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #1691
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Rhea Seehorn was snubbed for an Emmy again. To me, she carried that show - which is impressive considering the caliber of actors that she was working with. The show has one more year of eligibility so hopefully they get it right next time.
If she has never won it before she will never win it now.

I haven't watched another TV series since this show ended. Still so sad.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #1692
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Close to the end of season 4 now; Ted you stupid mother####er pay the god-damned tax bill!
I've finished Breaking Bad, and all-in-all I still much prefer Better Call Saul. I think some of that preference is simply because I saw BCS first, but as I put it earlier, soon after I began watching BB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'm up to about five episodes into BB season 2, and I find I prefer BCS quite a bit more. I find the characters in BCS much more sympathetic and interesting. Walter and Jesse are... okay, but I don't see much of a redemption arc for either of them. I thought Jimmy in particular was a much more compelling character in that he often does the wrong thing for "right" reasons, and his descent into becoming Saul Goodman is tragic. Granted there's still plenty of BB for me to watch, but I just don't find Walt and Jesse as interesting. Some of the side characters are pretty well acted though, especially given how much I dislike the characters. Skyler and Marie in particular are really loathsome to me. Did most BB watchers at the time dislike them as much as I do?
I think that all rang true throughout the rest of BB: I don't sympathize with Walt or Jesse. Mike and Gus were the best characters on the show, and Vince Gilligan & co. were wise to bring them back for BCS as "secondary main" characters. Walt was an unrepentant self-centered, egomaniacal prick who was always in it for the money and the power. Jesse I never saw as anything more than a junkie doofus; the writers were trying but I felt no pathos. Skyler and Marie were infuriating characters; a couple of spoiled brats. Other than the fact Marie had a job as a radiology tech she came across like real-life housewives I've known; people I absolutely cannot stand. Hank was a loudmouthed jackass; again, like people I've known in real life who I can't stand to be around.

On the other hand Jimmy was compelling because, as I said before, he often does the wrong thing for the "right" reasons. There's a feeling of "if he just does this one next thing the 'right' way he'll set himself up on a path to doing the 'right' things going forward," and he just keeps failing to make it there, often not because of his own doing. Chuck was a horrible brother, but the stories of Chuck and Jimmy are compellingly sad because deep down I think they both cared for each other but didn't know how to express their love for each other in a healthy way. Chuck deliberately holding Jimmy's career back was cruel, but in a roundabout way it was for justifiable reasons and he doesn't know how to express those reasons to Jimmy.

BB was still good, I'm glad I watched it all, but it pales in comparison to BCS.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #1693
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds interesting. Gilligan and Rhea Seehorn teaming up for an Apple TV series that is already ordered for 2 full seasons.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/vin...856a1ce23541ee
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #1694
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Compared to The Twilight Zone, the new series is said to be set in our world while putting a tweak on it, bending reality and focusing on people and exploring the human condition in an unexpected, surprising way. Thought-provoking but not a morality tale, the series also is expected to carry the signature Gilligan tone that infuses drama with humor.
Sounds like Gilligan might be going back to his X-Files roots? Sounds promising
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:16 PM   #1695
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a simp for Rhea so I'll be watching
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #1696
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I'm a simp for Rhea so I'll be watching

Think we’re all aware at this point.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #1697
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finished Better Call Saul. What an amazing series and equally amazing ending. I've never thought much about a series finale as much as I have on this one - maybe the Shield is up there. But this was such a great show. The ups and downs of Jimmy/Saul was a great rollercoaster ride.

I don't remember Breaking Bad being as good but this might be an indication that I should re-watch that show. It's good to have extra context with more of the back story. My wife hasn't seen it so it might be a good show to watch with her and then follow up with Better Call Saul.

Last edited by Meelapo; 10-07-2022 at 12:09 AM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 07:59 PM   #1698
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Just finished Better Call Saul. What an amazing series and equally amazing ending. I've never thought much about a series finally as much as I have on this one - maybe the Shield is up there. But this was such a great show. The ups and downs of Jimmy/Saul was a great rollercoaster ride.

I don't remember Breaking Bad being as good but this might be an indication that I should re-watch that show. It's good to have extra context with more of the back story. My wife hasn't seen it so it might be a good show to watch with her and then follow up with Better Call Saul.
My 16 yo son got into BB a few months ago and binged his way through it pretty quickly and loved every minute of it. He's on season 4 of Saul and loving it as well. Binging both one after another is such a good way to watch it as he notices every call back to BB. I'll watch random episodes of both with him on his journey through it, and they are both such remarkable series. The excruciating attention to detail with so many payoffs, the cinematography, and the storytelling is unlike anything else. Kudos to Sony or AMC or whoever who gave them complete creative control to write and produce this on their own terms.

After watching most of both series 2-3 times I have to give the edge to BCS if keeping score. Characters and actors were a bit better, and stories were a bit more mature. BB wins for sure for quotable lines and iconic scenes, but BCS was more satisfying as a whole, especially the last half of the series.

I will be pretty surprised if any long running series even approaches this body of work in my lifetime.

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman