Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #941
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Friday beers after 2 weeks of no beer is even better.

Been trying a lot of Ayinger brewery beers recently- seems to have popped up everywhere recently. Damn those Germans prove there are a lot of variety in lagers. Im a little hopped out, so nice change.
I still say Beck's is one of the top beers going.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #942
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lagers are life.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #943
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So would there be zero chance of tracking down one of the beer advent calendars at this point?

edit- nevermind, found the craft import one. Looks awesome and lot of beers you wouldn't see anywhere else. Not sure if I will do the beer a day approach though. Will have a few on the weekends before Christmas and then have most of them over the holidays.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 11-30-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #944
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Canning line day.

Keep and eye out for our "Ryes Against the Machine" rye brown ale. Coming soon to a liquor store near you.

bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #945
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #946
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler!

Did you guys buy your own canning setup? I thought most start-ups were using the mobile canning services nowadays.

Looks good. I think I'll drop by Willow Park and see if I can pick up a few to try this weekend.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #947
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Spoiler!

Did you guys buy your own canning setup? I thought most start-ups were using the mobile canning services nowadays.

Looks good. I think I'll drop by Willow Park and see if I can pick up a few to try this weekend.
Yeah we have our own canning line made by Cask out of Calgary.

Those mobile canning lines are a great idea for start ups looking to can under 2000L in a day.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #948
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post

Canning line day.

I know it's not the case, but I chuckled a bit, because where that line splits into two at the bottom of the picture reminded me of this;

Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #949
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will your beers only sell by the 4 or 6 pack? Would be great to buy individuals and get one of each.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #950
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Will your beers only sell by the 4 or 6 pack? Would be great to buy individuals and get one of each.
6 pack of cans right now but the 12 pack sampler is coming out right away. That one will have 3 each of the blonde ale, pale ale, IPA, and Rye brown ale.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #951
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
What do you use as the main ingredient? Sorghum? I am trying to develop a gluten free recipe for beer but would prefer not to use sorghum as for me it has a distinct flavor that I really don't prefer. I am looking at brown rice and millet but I can't find malted rice in calgary and am too lazy to malt it myself.
Half Sorghum and half brown rice syrup. You can order the sorghum syrup online from most Canadian suppliers. I get the rice syrup from Amazon or Community Natural Foods. You need the sorghum though, as it provides the proper fermentables. Rice syrup alone doesn't work well. The trick to losing the sorghum taste is to not rush it. 2 months fermentation, then after a month or so in the bottle it starts to go away. Really good by 4-6 months. You celiac, or just want to try making a gluten free one?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #952
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Half Sorghum and half brown rice syrup. You can order the sorghum syrup online from most Canadian suppliers. I get the rice syrup from Amazon or Community Natural Foods. You need the sorghum though, as it provides the proper fermentables. Rice syrup alone doesn't work well. The trick to losing the sorghum taste is to not rush it. 2 months fermentation, then after a month or so in the bottle it starts to go away. Really good by 4-6 months. You celiac, or just want to try making a gluten free one?
How did I not know this thread existed????

I'm not celiac but my brother in law and gluten don't seem to agree so I'm working on making one for him.

I had read about a brewery in the US (the name escapes me at the moment) that makes a gluten free beer using Brown rice and Belgian candy syrup as an additional fermentable and skips using sorghum altogether. That's great info tho about fermenting longer to reduce the sorghum taste, thanks for that. I guess I better get on it if I'm going to get this ready for the summertime, lol.

Ive been brewing beer for 4-5 years now but have never tried a gluten free one before.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #953
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I also use maltodextrin to add some sugars and give it a bit more mouth feel and head retention. About 115g at the star of the boil. I've found if you want it clear you should use wirfloc in the last 5 minutes of the boil and chill it ASAP after the boil. I made my own immersion chiller for it, but if you are just doing one batch I'd just pour it over a bag or two of ice. Getting it under 50°C in 10 minutes or so should do.

I've used belgian candi syrup several times, but usually as a flavourant. It adds a bit of sugar, but I'd think you need a lot of it to boost the SG significantly.

I used to mess around with malting quinoa and starting with raw rice, but it was a lot of work, and didn't make great beer. Once I simplified and had a good base recipe I've been able to make several types from it. Took a few years to figure it all out, but everyone who tries it says it is excellent, and they'd have no problem drinking it instead of normal beer if they had to. I've almost forgotten what normal beer tastes like, so it is good to hear.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #954
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's good info. I have an immersion chiller for cooling so I'm good on that end. I think I will give the half sorghum and half brown rice a try and let it ferment longer than I usually would. If nothing else it will give me a good base flavor to experiment off of.

I thought of malting rice myself but like you said, that's a lot of work for 5 gallons of beer so I figured there has to be a better way
Old 01-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #955
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And when I say half and half, it's actually 3.3lb sorghum and 3 jars of the Lundberg rice syrup, which I think are 1 lb each.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #956
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fuzz, can you give me a breakdown on your entire process for making gluten free beers start to finish?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #957
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring about 15l water to a boil, add sorghum, rice syrup 115 g maltodextrin and hops(this depends on what you are making, but typically 15g-30g). Simmer for 40 minutes. Add around 15g hops, wirfloc tablet. Simmer 5 more minutes. Turn off, and chill rapidly. Transfer to bucket, add pre-boiled and chilled water(or purified if you buy it) to 24l total. Confirm temp is 22-28 degrees C. Check specif gravity, should be around 1.045. Add 15g hops and sprinkle with gluten free yeast(there are a few varieties, not to hard to find).

Use heat belt to maintain temps for a week, then unplug and leave for another week. Rack to carboy, top up with water if necessary. Leave a good month, longer if still bubbling lots.

Boil 1-2 cups water, add 200g priming sugar(dextrose), and mix. Dump it in the bucket. Rack beer to bucket, and bottle. Leave at least 2 weeks in a warm area, then move to cold storage.

Step 1 takes a couple hours, step 2, 15 minutes, Step 3 an hour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #958
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, will let you know how it turns out...will be trying a batch soon...thanks again for the info fuzz.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #959
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if the River Valley beer at Liquor Depot is any good? Apparently it is on sale for around $33 for 36 cans (buy two 12 packs and get a third for $1.50.) http://reader.mediawiremobile.com/LS.../200234/viewer

If the beer is decent I might stock up on some cans.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #960
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Does anyone know if the River Valley beer at Liquor Depot is any good? Apparently it is on sale for around $33 for 36 cans (buy two 12 packs and get a third for $1.50.) http://reader.mediawiremobile.com/LS.../200234/viewer

If the beer is decent I might stock up on some cans.
www.beeradvocate.com

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty