Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #5541
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just for fun on a Friday afternoon

Palpatine

Title Dark Lord of the Sith, Emperor of the Galaxy

Guise - Kindly, eager senator and later Supreme Chancellor of the Republic. He loves democracy. Looks like everyone's grandpa

Underneath all of that - Sith Lord who wants to conquer the galaxy and rule it with an iron fist in order to get rid of chaos.

Eager aid - A virtuous but slightly naive but powerful young warrior who just wants to save his wife and end the war

Most evil act - Destroyed a planet

Super Weapon to enforce his will - planet killing super weapon x 2 errrr 1 errrr zero

Life altering event - Shot in the face with lightning ended up looking like a burnt scrotum.

Military might - Created a slave army that obeyed him without question

Daenerys Stormborn

title - Breaker of Chains, mother of dragons

Guise - Kind of hot innocent looking girl with a kindly nature and a good heart

Underneath it all - More Conqueror then ruler, first instinct is to destroy but her advisors sometimes talk her out of it. first instinct with the masters kill their soldiers burn their ships and destroy their cities. Nailed 163 people to 2x4s. Oh and burned a maybe innocent man alive just to make an example

Eager Aide - A virtuous, powerful bastard warrior that she tries to seduce even though he's her cousin

Most evil act - Name them, but burning a city to the nubs because your friend gets her head cut off, her cousin won't make out with her and her children get killed. crucifictions, executions. trying to have sex with her cousin

Super Weapon to enforce her will - Three mystical fire breathing dragons, wait two mystical fire breathing dragons, aw hell she's got one

Life altering event - Well see's her best friend killed, and her child shot in the face with a arrow.

Military Might - Freed a slave army who became unquestioning killing machines zealots

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #5542
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, no Star Wars stuff please.

Last edited by rubecube; 05-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #5543
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty disappointing season.

Find it funny though that so many people are worked up about the people who are disappointed. Sorry that your fave show is stumbling to the finish line in the opinion of many. I think the criticisms are fair.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #5544
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truly, those who deserve to huff their farts in this scenario are those that have hated GoT since S1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #5545
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Come on, dude. Don't pollute this thread with Star Wars crap.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #5546
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Pretty disappointing season.

Find it funny though that so many people are worked up about the people who are disappointed. Sorry that your fave show is stumbling to the finish line in the opinion of many. I think the criticisms are fair.
The thing is that's also subjective. I don't think it's stumbling nearly as much as you might, given the time frame. Been alternating between hosting viewing parties and attending them, and friends and acquaintances that have been fans since the first couple seasons aired have largely enjoyed the episodes.

Just because there's a group of vocal people intent on making a fuss doesn't mean they represent the fanbase on the whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #5547
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Off Reddit

Spoiler!
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #5548
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #5549
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The thing is that's also subjective. I don't think it's stumbling nearly as much as you might, given the time frame. Been alternating between hosting viewing parties and attending them, and friends and acquaintances that have been fans since the first couple seasons aired have largely enjoyed the episodes.

Just because there's a group of vocal people intent on making a fuss doesn't mean they represent the fanbase on the whole.
Totally agree with it being subjective, and for what its worth I am happy you are enjoying it. The people I watch it with have also been disappointed as are most of the people I talk with about it outside of those groups. I wouldn't paint those that are disappointed as a small but vocal group, it seems pretty widespread.

Just kind of smile when people are really enjoying it tell those who are not to stop watching or go elsewhere instead of directing criticisms about it in a forum intended for discussion. Think that there are some valid complaints in the way it has been handled. That said, I do agree with the directors saying that no matter what they did there will always be some unhappy people...still makes for fun discussion though.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #5550
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1129418566879633409
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #5551
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Are people mad because of the story lines? Ie: Dany? I don't have too much complaint over the choices made for the story.

My main complaint is how everything is rushed. Half the episodes so far have been kind of boring, with more foreboding than actual story progression. Then in the last one, major character deaths that didn't feel impactful at all when they should have.

Cercei's death was kind of a joke considering the weight of that character.
That seems to be the main complaint I am seeing.

Not everyone was going to agree with the ending anyways, but considering how ####ty of a job they did at getting there I am not surprised people are outraged.

To me it is completely inexcusable, and Martin should forced them to sign a contract to allow other writers if the current ones pull this stupidity.

They only get once chance to put this on screen and quite honestly they blew it. In season 8 at least.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #5552
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
What a pointless petition.

The more people get outraged over Dany's turn, the more I seem to enjoy it.

Sweet schadenfreude.
What kind of loser watches a tv show or movie in a bar? They deserved to be mocked.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #5553
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
What kind of loser watches a tv show or movie in a bar? They deserved to be mocked.
Yeah! Bars should exclusively show sportsball things only! Ever! How dare they try to capitalize on pop culture! Even on a 'slow' night! Next thing you know, people will be using machines to try and sing or something while at a bar, too!

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 05-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #5554
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The madness! ^^^
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #5555
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Yeah! Bars should exclusively show sportsball things only! Ever! How dare they try to capitalize on pop culture! Even on a 'slow' night! Next thing you know, people will be using machines to try and sing or something while at a bar, too!
I don’t know. It’s a little odd since I think of bars for socializing. Not being able to make much of a sound for 80 minutes is more movie theatre than bar.

But whatever people want to do.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #5556
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Hey i'm not blaming the bars for showing it. I'm blaming the idiots who are going to watch a tv show there.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:29 AM   #5557
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
That seems to be the main complaint I am seeing.

Not everyone was going to agree with the ending anyways, but considering how ####ty of a job they did at getting there I am not surprised people are outraged.

To me it is completely inexcusable, and Martin should forced them to sign a contract to allow other writers if the current ones pull this stupidity.

They only get once chance to put this on screen and quite honestly they blew it. In season 8 at least.
I was good with how cersei and Jaime went. Ramsay and Joffrey weren't tortured to death by the 'good guys' for our satisfaction either. That's not the point of the show. I don't understand why any one would have that expectation when the show has never aimed to please us in that way. That would've been purely fan service and I'm glad they didn't do that. I thought there was emotional weight there and it didn't undo their character arcs or anything ridiculous like that. Jaime backslid though, yes, like human beings tend to do.

I've found 4 of the 5 episodes to be thrilling entertainment up to the standard hoped for, with the asterisk beside it that they had 6 episodes to wrap it all. Upon reflection it was episode 4 that mostly dropped the ball by cutting short the godswood scene, the bronn highgarden thing, the useless pre battle negotiation attempt, Euron overlooking tyrions remark about the baby, and a generally poor transition from north to south. They had to move the pieces across the board in one episode though so it wasnt going to be particularly smooth. Honestly the rest I was thoroughly entertained by from both standpoints of drama and action, and I'm a little surprised some people thought it would go down in such a different way. Eps three and five had me more engaged and emotionally affected than any previous episodes to that point. That's an accomplishment to me. Because what I'm looking for in watching is to be surprised and affected in ways I didn't expect. Not to see the details of it play out exactly as I think they "should".

So yeah, this is the other side of the fence, from a big fan since the airing of season one. One of many varying opinions I'm sure.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-18-2019 at 01:32 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #5558
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Everyone's complaints are on the lazy and rushed writing. And the ridiculous plot armour some characters (namely Arya) have had.
I don't think anyone disagrees with these complaints.

Most people don't have an actual problem with Dany's turn or Arya killing the Night King.
It's just that the writing that made these things happen was so poor. They tried so hard to make it unpredictable that they ultimately just made it nonsensical.

I thought the plot armor problem started in season 7 when they went beyond the wall to get a wight (and this entire premise was stupid).
In the most recent episode, there was no suspense in watching Arya escape from the fire. We all knew she wasn't going to die.

This season was kind of doomed before it even started. There just weren't enough episodes to get it all done well. This is D & D's fault, because HBO offered them more episodes and money to get more done. They rejected the offer because they wanted to work on other things.

I'm scared of what they're going to do to Star Wars. That franchise has already taken enough of a hit.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #5559
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1125228663249801217
https://twitter.com/user/status/1125229016460480516

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #5560
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I've found 4 of the 5 episodes to be thrilling entertainment up to the standard hoped for, with the asterisk beside it that they had 6 episodes to wrap it all. ......

..... Eps three and five had me more engaged and emotionally affected than any previous episodes to that point. That's an accomplishment to me. Because what I'm looking for in watching is to be surprised and affected in ways I didn't expect. Not to see the details of it play out exactly as I think they "should".

So yeah, this is the other side of the fence, from a big fan since the airing of season one. One of many varying opinions I'm sure.

This is my opinion too. Despite how they got there and various improbabilities 3 and 5 were right up there with the most intense TV I’ve ever watched. I felt particularly numb after episode 5
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: