Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #5301
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I haven't said much as I didn't catch up to the current episode 'till last night. I'm disappointed. It could have been so much better.

The problem is incoherence and a lack of plausibility. "Plausibility in a fantasy setting? LOL!" Yeah, well, good writing does not violate its own previously established rules, nor does it create new rules at whim outside a coherent structure that supports those new rules. Even in a fantasy, the world, the events, and the characters need to relate in plausible ways as informed by the rules of that fantasy: they might not conform to *this* reality, but they should conform to *a* reality.

This incoherence has happened much more frequently in the last two/three seasons, but the most glaring example is the already-exhaustively discussed ballista vs dragon debacle. That simply could not happen the way it was portrayed. When it happened anyway, onscreen, it jarringly took me out of the story with its objectively bad writing, as bringing down a dragon could have been done any number of other ways that would coherently fit into the world and story, and still served the same narrative purpose.

Such jarring moments are rife now. I won't bother enumerating them, as they have been discussed over and over, but they are there, often, and every time one happens and I notice, it takes me further out of the story. Eventually I am completely out of it and wondering why I am even watching when I am constantly being annoyed instead of invested.

Finally, this isn't needless nitpicking, this is recognizing stupid when you see it. That is a valuable life skill anyone would do well to cultivate.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #5302
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole episode worked for me. The character scenes were are really well done.

Jon and Varys on the beach had the right foreshadowing. The coin flip line was very good and gave pretty big hints Dany might go crazy cakes.

Dany and Tyrion - he was nervous in front of her. He also missed the point and she corrected him on who she feels betrayed her. She connected the dots for him which mad him more uncomfortable. Further foreshadowing in that one.

Dany and Greyworm - they shared their last moment of mourning. Greyworm has gone from unfeeling war machine to someone with a soul. It's been a good evolution. Her calling him by his real name shows some real care there and the bond they share.

Dany and Jon - the final incestuous kiss that reveals his true feelings. Lots there without words spoken.

Jamie and Erron - great comic relief to break some tension.

Tyrion while the city burns - so much sadness in his eyes and you can see the thought bubble above his head saying "WHY?!?!"

Arya and The Hound - to me the map room scene was "tender". Here is this gruff man who swears a ton, been through hell and back, killed just for the hell of it, and he's holding her back. He's been her protector and surrogate father figure since they watched her father die. This was him, in that role, being completely honest with her. In the exchange she sees that he isn't just giving her a line, it's straight from the heart and it gets her. Her using his real name shows her1 appreciation.

Cersei - her breakdown was excellent. She goes through the stages of grief as she watches the dragon wreck the place. "All it takes is one shot" "all the scorps are toast" (one stab wound) "We have the iron fleet" "to it again" (another stab wound) her men giving up, another, the city in bonfire, another. Realization this is the end...a tear, she's broken. So much said without words.

Cersei and Jamie - discussed by others but totally fitting.

The characters all watching 9/11 meets Pompeii and their unspoken reactions. All very well done.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #5303
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
He couldn't have told her that during their 50 hour horse back ride to Kings Landing? Kind of ridiculous he gets through to her in a 15 second speech...
Because he wasnt against her killing Cersei at any point. If she could have safely killed Cersei he wouldn't have talked her it, it wasnt until he realised that they would have died trying that he decided to save her
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #5304
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tywin died on Father's Day. Cersei on Mother's Day.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #5305
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like ya'll have never razed an enemy city of out spite in Civ when they were ones who declared war on you in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #5306
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ok so all of that is true but how exactly do we get to senselessly murdering hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians tie into her desperation?

As someone pointed out, it would make sense if she went after the Red Keep and Cersei and in the process killed some civilians who were basically Cersei’s human shields.

But why in God’s name would Dany murder hundreds of thousands of people and destroy everything but Cersei and the Red Keep (until the end)? It literally has no purpose and achieves nothing.

Trying to claim anyone who doesn’t “get it” must be not paying attention is a cop out. You’re connecting dots that don’t exist. I’d argue the people paying attention are the ones pointing out how ridiculous it seemed.

What’s worse is that I think this is similar to GRRMs ending. It’s just that the show did an awful job of getting us to this point and now nothing makes sense.
No, I'm not.
Quote:
she tells her small council that “mercy” is the strength that sets her forces apart from Cersei’s, she specifies it’s mercy for “future generations” who won’t have to suffer future tyrants—the poor, present-day smallfolk who are going to get killed in the crossfire of the upcoming battle will not be nearly so lucky.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thro...dev-1834712025

She believes that their sacrifice is worth it if future people are prevented from suffering. She has also, in a previous conversation hinted that if the people shouldn't have supported Cersei. She already sees them as guilty. So when the bells ring, her first thought isn't to save the innocents, it's that there are no innocents. At that moment she sees betrayal by Tyrion, and the only solution is to burn it all down.

I'm not suggesting this was executed perfectly, but I stand by "if you didn't see Danarys turning like this, you haven't been paying attention." Yes, some of it was only in the past few episodes. But a lot was kinda there through the seasons looking back on it.

If she hadn't went after the whole town, and had specifically only targeted Cersei we wouldn't really have a conclusion, it would just be more of the same ambivalent Danarys. I'm excited to see what that conclusion is next week. I'm less excited to read about your wingeing about it after.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #5307
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

AC's post #5210

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

If people are judging this episode on what they feel the motivations of the characters should be based on the writing of D&D the last two seasons, they should consider that these are the motivations of the GRRM mapped characters. They will seem slightly off, but more in tune with series long character and story arcs.

Taken in that context, this episode was a bit of the 'righting of the ship'.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #5308
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Because he wasnt against her killing Cersei at any point. If she could have safely killed Cersei he wouldn't have talked her it, it wasnt until he realised that they would have died trying that he decided to save her
Well then he should have sliced Cersei in half when she walked by him down the stairs and said "this is for Arya you beyotch!"
Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #5309
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ok so all of that is true but how exactly do we get to senselessly murdering hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians tie into her desperation?

As someone pointed out, it would make sense if she went after the Red Keep and Cersei and in the process killed some civilians who were basically Cersei’s human shields.

But why in God’s name would Dany murder hundreds of thousands of people and destroy everything but Cersei and the Red Keep (until the end)? It literally has no purpose and achieves nothing.
Because it ties directly back to the actions of the Mad King (her father), who she was trying so hard not to be. In the end she couldn't escape going down that path. It also thematically builds upon the ideas of the thirst for power, revenge, and the darkness that can come from those things
These things are not logical. She stopped playing a game of chess in the end. She allowed her fear and anger to consume her. That's the point.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #5310
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No, I'm not.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thro...dev-1834712025

She believes that their sacrifice is worth it if future people are prevented from suffering. She has also, in a previous conversation hinted that if the people shouldn't have supported Cersei. She already sees them as guilty. So when the bells ring, her first thought isn't to save the innocents, it's that there are no innocents. At that moment she sees betrayal by Tyrion, and the only solution is to burn it all down.

I'm not suggesting this was executed perfectly, but I stand by "if you didn't see Danarys turning like this, you haven't been paying attention." Yes, some of it was only in the past few episodes. But a lot was kinda there through the seasons looking back on it.

If she hadn't went after the whole town, and had specifically only targeted Cersei we wouldn't really have a conclusion, it would just be more of the same ambivalent Danarys. I'm excited to see what that conclusion is next week. I'm less excited to read about your wingeing about it after.
I think you nailed problem, it is that they made Dany not ambiguous.

She is clearly a tyrant.

This makes it easier for Jon and company to oppose her. If instead she had to slaughter innocents to win as oppose to choosing to slaughter innocents because she could.

It would make the choice that Tyrion and Jon now have to make difficult as opposed to easy.

I think most people saw Dany burning Civilians coming and were concerned it would be ham fisted rather than nuanced. Her character did not support mass slaughter without gain.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #5311
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

What the show was really missing was evidence of Dany's genuine insanity. The Targaryan insanity isn't just about making the wrong decision. It's an actual break from reality. Dany's father was motivated by the fact he would transform into a dragon during the burning of his city...not just to control by fear. He was planning to burn himself as well.

If over the show, we'd seen a few WTF moments from Dany, it might have helped. That being said, maybe the writers wanted this to be a complete surprise too. Maybe a bit a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If the writers lead too little or too much evidence of Dany going nuts, they get accused of poor writing.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #5312
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
What the show was really missing was evidence of Dany's genuine insanity. The Targaryan insanity isn't just about making the wrong decision. It's an actual break from reality. Dany's father was motivated by the fact he would transform into a dragon during the burning of his city...not just to control by fear. He was planning to burn himself as well.

If over the show, we'd seen a few WTF moments from Dany, it might have helped. That being said, maybe the writers wanted this to be a complete surprise too. Maybe a bit a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If the writers lead too little or too much evidence of Dany going nuts, they get accused of poor writing.
Is that not the burning of the Tarleys, and the sudden need to go south with a weary army? These were clearly moments that gave Jon pause, and made him conflicted.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #5313
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Felt like the episode really drove home the idea that not everyone overcomes their weaknesses.

Several characters met their end because they refused to change. The Hound hammered it in with the line about chasing revenge his whole life and look where it got him, only to die to finally achieve it.
To elaborate on this, I saw another good synopsis on r/gameofthrones:

Quote:
The theme throughout this entire episode was succumbing to your demons, this wasn't just about Dany's madness, the coin flip landed for every character on the board

-Cersei to her arrogance
-Jamie to his love for Cersei
-Sandor to his desire for revenge
-Qyburn to his monster ala Frankenstein
-Euron to his arrogance
-Tyrion to his love for his family
-Dany to her madness

Jon and Arya were also tested, Jon with his loyalty and Arya with her desire for revenge and their antithesis characters were Greyworm and The Hound. They represent the alternate path they could have chosen. Greyworm and Jon were faced with exactly the same choice at the same time just as Arya and the Hound were. Greyworm chose his loyalty to Dany whereas Jon defied his loyalty to do the right thing, Arya chose to live rather than succumb to revenge as The Hound did. All in all this episode was heavy with theme and I loved it for it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #5314
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that not the burning of the Tarleys, and the sudden need to go south with a weary army? These were clearly moments that gave Jon pause, and made him conflicted.
It's a pretty big leap from that to Kings Landing BBQ: Attendance Mandatory.

We went from hints that she had tyrannical tendencies over the years which was just ramped up to full on Mad Queen in basically two episodes. It wasn't well executed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #5315
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those were decisions done with purpose. The Tarley's wouldn't bend the knee and Dany wanted to ensure the Northern army marched south and not follow Sansa.

She didn't burn the rest of the Tarley Army.

At no point had she intentionally killed people that weren't in her way.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #5316
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
He couldn't have told her that during their 50 hour horse back ride to Kings Landing? Kind of ridiculous he gets through to her in a 15 second speech...
My granddad didn't tell my dad he loved him until he was virtually on his deathbed.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #5317
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon, Tyrion and Ser Davos all now know they maybe made a mistake believing in Dany. She's a merciless power hungry mad woman.

My predictions for the final episode:

Spoiler!
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #5318
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently GRRM hated the episode and wrote a reply:

Spoiler!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #5319
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahah he was triggered by the painless deaths
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #5320
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Because she isn’t insane. Impulsive, brutal, vindictive, believing in her birthright....yes, and she has been the entire series. This is the culmination of her entire life starting with the betrayal and destruction of her family by ‘these people’. She has a lifetime of vengeance to unleash and while it doesn’t logically make sense it absolutely does emotionally. Cities have been sacked and raped and pillaged forever right up to modern times. It’s an unfortunate human behaviour born be the need to release all the hatred that builds up over years of conflict.

Also don’t forget about the sons of the harpy where members of a supposedly grateful populace turned against her, or her deliberate stated choice of fear as a strategy.

She may in fact be mad but it’s too easy an answer to justify and then trash her behaviour.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote