Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #61
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
No the point is that walmarts and similar retailers are the product of the same ideology of government espoused by the ucp reformers etc. Small government less regulation. Let the market decide. Guess what. The market picks Walmart as its retail winner. Most consumers don’t care about dirty floors or poor working conditions until they face those conditions themselves. And markets will always drive down wages for the working class and so raise demand for cheaper retail goods. Walmart loves Jason Kenny
I'm not defending Walmart specifically here, but some of my worst working experiences have been for small businesses. Many are owned by ego-maniacs who are also cheap. They can also get away with skirting around labour laws, as it's difficult for a single employee to do anything about it, particularly if they are dependent on their paycheque.

Big corporations generally have a minimum standard of employment they maintain. They have to deal with unionized employees and the press. Generally, places like Walmart also have lock step automatic raises. For people who are doing mindless light labour work, you don't always get that in small businesses. Starting salaries in both scenarios are typically dictated by minimum wage, and not evil CEOs.

I've also had good experiences working for small companies, but there are drawbacks and benefits to both scenarios.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #62
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Walmart hate I understand, hating on Superstore, however is weird.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #63
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This isn't a 3rd world country. Nobody in Canada has to accept these working conditions and if consumers don't care about dirty floors then they don't care about dirty floors. I despise the Superstore experience but I understand why it's so busy and I don't hold it against the shoppers that may be living paycheck to paycheck that appreciate the opportunity to save every penny they can.
The irony, of course, is that perhaps the shoppers are living paycheck to paycheck because they are shopping at a place that has driven down the prices so much that the employees (of both the shopping store and of the store that sells the goods sold at the store) are paid low wages in order for the employer to remain in existence.

Everyone likes low prices, until they realize that the low prices is why they are out of a job or not paid very much for the job.

And, by then, there isn't much that they can do about it, except continue to shop at the low price store.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #64
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

First world problems.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #65
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
The irony, of course, is that perhaps the shoppers are living paycheck to paycheck because they are shopping at a place that has driven down the prices so much that the employees (of both the shopping store and of the store that sells the goods sold at the store) are paid low wages in order for the employer to remain in existence.

Everyone likes low prices, until they realize that the low prices is why they are out of a job or not paid very much for the job.

And, by then, there isn't much that they can do about it, except continue to shop at the low price store.
Walmart doesn’t pay low wages because paying more will put them out of business. They pay low wages because enough people support their business model for them to do so and ethics are not high enough on the company’s priority list.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #66
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[Quote isn't working for me]

As to Wal-Mart, that is how it is now, but not how it was when Wal-Mart was starting out.

And because Wal-Mart was so ruthless on costs with both suppliers and workers, the mom-and-pop stores in the smaller communities couldn't compete and shut down, thereby resulting in employment issues in the small towns.

As to Wal-Mart suppliers, they are certainly paying low wages in order to stay in business and supply Wal-Mart with the cheap goods that Wal-Mart sells at low prices.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #67
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote not working for me either.

I watched that Wal-mart anti-union video expecting it to not be that bad. I'm not a pro union guy by any stretch but holy crap was that so blatantly terrible and manipulative.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #68
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing i have read on here the past 2 years.

You win!
Obviously you have never had the 3am, after the bar, experience of Mcvalue menu wonders. Or when you are 7 years old and your friend has a birthday party in the mcplay area and you had McDonald’s pizza.

Now tell me it’s not one of the happiest places on earth...

Edit. Forgot to add McDonald’s orange drink on hot dog day in elementary school.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #69
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
It's okay I guess, better than Wal-Mart? Maybe, but I wouldn't put it way above. Worse grocery store experience is when you get stuck behind a struggler or two at Superstore who think bagging their own groceries is an all-day event.

Superstore cashier has to be the easiest job in the world.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #70
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Quote not working for me either.

I watched that Wal-mart anti-union video expecting it to not be that bad. I'm not a pro union guy by any stretch but holy crap was that so blatantly terrible and manipulative.
Just another reason not to shop at Walmart.

Lowe’s, amazon and target(among others) do the same thing. They’re all on YouTube as well.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #71
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Superstore cashier has to be the easiest job in the world.
I don’t think I’d enjoy standing all day in one place dealing with customers who can’t bag their groceries quickly while you’re trying to hit productivity targets for items scanned per hour. But to each their own I guess.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #72
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Walmart doesn’t pay low wages because paying more will put them out of business. They pay low wages because enough people support their business model for them to do so and ethics are not high enough on the company’s priority list.
Really it’s ethics aren’t high enough on their customers priority list.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #73
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think I’d enjoy standing all day in one place dealing with customers who can’t bag their groceries quickly while you’re trying to hit productivity targets for items scanned per hour. But to each their own I guess.
Never said it was the most enjoyable job in the world, said it might be the easiest.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #74
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
And click and collect is the bomb. Superstore pricing without even going in the store.
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggypop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #75
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Really it’s ethics aren’t high enough on their customers priority list.
I agree. I was alluding to that in my post when I stated their customers support their business model. However I also believe that many Walmart shoppers shop their out of necessity rather than by choice. When so many are struggling to make ends meet it’s hard to expect people to pay more for something even if the cheaper product is inferior.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #76
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walmart over Superstore any day of the week. Eff that place.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #77
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the Superstore. Some are absolutely miserable, but the one I go to is really good. Sunday morning while the churchies are busy, go at 9:30, and all the tills open at 10, it's pretty great. Produce is way better than Safeway, and probably half the price.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #78
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't Superstore unionized? No need to hit productivity targets then.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #79
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Depends on the Superstore. Some are absolutely miserable, but the one I go to is really good. Sunday morning while the churchies are busy, go at 9:30, and all the tills open at 10, it's pretty great. Produce is way better than Safeway, and probably half the price.

If you are talking about the one on Centre St, it’s not bad. But now Save-On opened up just on 64th by Deerfoot so it’s a good option too. My wife hates going to other grocery stores besides Costco and Superstore, buy Save-On has some of the best bread.

Side note - T&T is selling some Vietnamese sub buns and they are awesome when toasted.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #80
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a fistfight in the produce section at the Superstore.