Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #321
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Love the French circuit. Looking forward to seeing that one again. I wonder if they will look at adding another US race in the near future?
Is New Jersey dead?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #322
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think so.

Vegas seems to be the popular rumour nowadays but I think something on the east coast makes more sense.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #323
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends. If they slot it in behind Montreal, something out west would make more sense. If they put it before Austin, NE would be a good spot.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #324
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quite the shock about Rosberg retiring, but not really surprised in the end. Having Hamilton pull that crap in the last race and the team not doing or saying anything about it afterwards must have been the last straw for him.

I do think it says something about Hamilton as a person and a teammate that Rosberg would rather retire than race against him in the same team again. Without a doubt Hamilton is the faster driver overall, but Rosberg is a better role model. I'm glad he got his championship and wish him all the best.

On a side note, I found it rather pathetic how the British press (Brundle & co.) defended Hamiltons tactics in the last race. I can only imagine the moaning if the shoe was on the other foot. The only bright spot in the post race was when Jonny Herbert tried to get Jackie Stewart to agree with it and Jackie said "You know, there's a way to win and a way to lose, and that is with grace and humility". He then went on about how Hamilton needs to realize he's racing for a team and that his antics don't really build good team spirit and good will. He left Jonny standing with a mouth full of teeth and I laughed and applauded one of my heroes for saying it like it is.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #325
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rosberg said he had started planning it in Suzuka. It had nothing to do with Hamilton in Abu Dhabi, he was just trying to survive so he could get out at that point.

While Hamilton was clearly acting like a bit of a baby, Max, and I think Seb(and probably others) said they would have done the same thing. The goal of a driver is to win the championship. Hamilton was going to do anything he could while there was still a chance. As viewers, I would have felt a little disapointed if he hadn't. There are no rules about what Hamilton did. He didn't do anything over the line. Was it a dick move to a teammate? Maybe. But they didn't respect each other, why should he fold at that point? He had no obligation to.

As for how the British press handled it...they are catering to their fans. I hope I don't need to tell you that the Brits don't hold a lot of love for the Germans. Commentary sells, especially when it is for "your guy".
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #326
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

What Hamilton did doesn't make the top 10 of the scummiest most unsportsmanlike things that Schumacher ever did.

Honestly the only reason it was so obvious was the advantage of the Mercs. If Hamilton tried that in the 2012 season 6 guys would have passed him the first lap he slowed down.

And much as I dislike Lewis, that move wasn't illegal. Perhaps a bit cheap but well within the rules. I definitely don't blame him for trying it. He didn't hit nico or block him from passing or anything else.

Although I do agree they would have mercilessly derided the move if it was nico.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-02-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #327
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Schumacher in his prime would have tried to run Nico off the track, if he were in Hamilton's seat. I think that Hamilton's tactics in the final GP had to have made Nico's win all the more sweeter.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #328
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh, I agree, Schumacher did many things worse. So did Senna. Doesn't excuse it, though. I guess I just miss the days when there was respect and class in the sport. Remember Lauda and Prost in Mclaren, 1984? All year long, they battled it fair and square for the championship, back and forth with no collisions or pathetic mind games. Last race of the year, Prost had to win, Lauda needed second to beat him by 1/2 a point. Prost said " all I can do is go fast and win the race", which he did. Lauda finished second and won the championship.

It didn't even come into his mind to pull these kind of stunts. That all started when Senna came on the scene with his win at any cost attitude, and as the cars and tracks got safer, Schumacher took it to the next level. Now this kind of behaviour is acceptable and even celebrated. It's not how I go about my racing, and I don't respect anybody that needs to stoop to these kind of tactics to win.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #329
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just re-watched the post race coverage and it was interesting to hear Toto say that the racer in him would have likely taken the same action of backing Nico up.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #330
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185491
Some interesting speculation on driver options. Vettel/Hamilton? Could be great!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #331
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow!! I'm blown away hearing about Rosberg hanging up his Puma's. It speaks volumes that if I hadn't checked this CP thread, or gone hunting for F1 news, I wouldn't have heard about this "Big news". Shows how Euro-centric coverage of the sport can be.

My two cents on some of the commentary regarding "teammates"... Nico and Lewis are teammates on paper only as are all the other drivers. As soon as the lights go out it's an individual sport. One of few exceptions being the strategies that sometimes surface during a race when there's a battle for constructors points.

Congrats Nico, I won't miss you for a single second.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #332
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185491
Some interesting speculation on driver options. Vettel/Hamilton? Could be great!
I would love to see any one of the former world champions fill the seat, or someone from Red Bull. As a Button fan, he'd be my choice. He's an experienced driver that could help with the car development with the new regulations coming in. Also, he has experience working with MB, and I do believe MB used to be Brawn, so maybe there's still some old relationships there. Finally, as much as I like him, he's not quite at the level of LH, so I don't think there would be as many fireworks if Alonso or Vettel took the seat.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see Button there, too. I just don't think his heart is in it anymore. I also think it's a good time for Mercedes to look towards the future. They have Hamilton to give them all the car info they need. Now might be a good time to bring someone new in(or new to Merc).
Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #334
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Button would be awesome, totally agree. Highly unlikely as it is. I can't help but think how entertaining it would be to have vettel join Mercedes, Honestly?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #335
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm amazed that we all unanimously support Button for Nico's seat.

I'll call Toto....

In all seriousness, I'm really hoping DiResta get some consideration.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #336
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I think Bottas makes a lot of sense as long as Williams has a suitable replacement. They can give Williams a substantial discount on their 2017 power units.

Or I'd go outside of current F1 drivers. Wehrlein, Di Rests, Indy, GP2 etc.

Any up and coming Brazilians or Germans? Other than Nasr. I doubt they want him.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #337
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Or I'd go outside of current F1 drivers. Indy,

Just a little puke entered my throat right there.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #338
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Well at least Mercedes has a sense of humour about the whole thing. As seen in the classified section of Autosport Magazine:

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #339
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maldonado????

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/human-...orm-1790090985
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

Please be true. Entertainment for the back of the grid!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #340
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sponsored by Caterpillar?

Tags
fast , formula , nascar sucks , racing