Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #141
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
He provided his thoughts on a game he watched. Didn't insult anyone or go off-topic. Not the majority but there is no rule that says everyone needs to feel the same way. So, what's your issue? It's one post in a thread thats gonna die in the next few days.
Yeah I disagreed with a few things but he made some good points too.

Should we only post with blind homerism? I get that this place gets way too negative sometimes but constructive critisicm during the pre season isn't part of the problem
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #142
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Surprise surprise, New Era being a debbie downer and trying his hardest to find negatives in everything. Some people just see what they want to see I guess?
In the last 24 hours you have called posters "sad", "laughable", "spoiled" and "whiners". In addition to calling out New Era.

Maybe check your corn flakes for urine cuz you're a lot better poster than that.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #143
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The team speed and skill was night and day compared to the roster last year.

Even for a preseason game, the puck skills on this team blew what we saw from the team last year out of the water.

Taking passes at speed, what a novel concept.

Lazar may have played his last regular season game in the NHL.
Not impossible but I would expect he will be given the obligatory 10 games or so, although some might be in the press box. Now things could get interesting if a former Hurricane the Flames like comes across the waiver wire.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #144
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lazar may have played his last regular season game in the NHL.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #145
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

My takes.

Impressed by Ryan and Czarnik, really noticeable every time they hit the ice. Frolik was good. Was a fun line to watch.

Lindholm and Neil had their struggles. Hanafin looked ok, I think Hamonic is going to be the problem here.

Gio is a beast. Even without those two goals he had a stellar game. Our best defenseman and it isn't even close. Guy is ready to go already.

Hathaway had a great game. Best guy on his line. He knows what he has to do to earn a spot and he made it happen, the coaching staff had to take notice of his play.

Good game, entertaining for sure, nice to see hockey back.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #146
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sloppy preseason hockey, but fun to watch.

I think anyone on either side of this who is trying to make too much of what they saw is wrong. There has been one practice really. I am sure this team is still doing quite a lot of 'Gulutzan' hockey, so I don't think we can necessarily gleam too much of actual systems play here. For instance, the prime opportunities against that were given up throughout the night even though the Flames controlled most of the play, the bunch of goals against in a short amount of time, and the constant shot selection at net without making the goalie move as much - these were all Gulutzan gripes from me.

This is what the preseason is for. Peters will slowly but surely implement his system, and those issues will hopefully disappear. First preseason game - who can really expect it all to be completely different right away, right?

At any rate my thoughts on some players:

Czarnik seemed to be the most impactful of the additions. Tonnes of speed and skill. Now I really know why 22 teams made overtures to him. The way he found some players with his passing, and caused confusion on the Bruins with his speed was really nice to see.

Lindholm and Neal were both 'good' for the most part, but you can just see that the chemistry is just not there yet. I liked what I saw out of them, however.

Feel bad for Gillies with those 3 goals against in quick succession. Good on him to recover for the rest of the night. There were some grade A chances against after those 3 goals, and he managed to stop them all.

I will not lie - I do worry that Ryan is going to be overused by Peters. Shootout selection with him rather than Monahan was a glaring one. Not sure what to make out of it because Peters started with Tkachuk who is a no-brainer on the shootout... if Tkachuk wasn't there, I would have said it was a reward for good play for some players... I guess we will have to keep an eye on that and see what happens.

I hope that someone like Foo or Mangiapane steps up this season and pushes out Hathaway. Bennett and Jankowski are going to have a great season this year.

Overall - This team has a lot of skill and a lot of speed. If Peters can wrap all of that up into a system that utilizes them effectively, there is no telling how far this team can go. This is a very deep and skilled squad.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #147
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Are you even a fan? It's absolutely unreal to be this negative after a single practice and preseason game.

Things don't change in one game. It's going to be a really long season for you at this rate.
Natural contrarian.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #148
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah I disagreed with a few things but he made some good points too.

Should we only post with blind homerism? I get that this place gets way too negative sometimes but constructive critisicm during the pre season isn't part of the problem
come on now he said it looked like last year...after one preseason game

that is ridiculous
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #149
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The comments towards Bennett vs the game Bennett played prove the pitchforks have been sharpened since March, the comments already tuned up for the first time he played regardless of what happened.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #150
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
come on now he said it looked like last year...after one preseason game

that is ridiculous
And yet tons of people saying it’s night and day from last year...after one game. But I agree with them, so they’re right and he’s wrong.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #151
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Thought Bennett looked like a slightly better version of the same player as last year. He made some nice plays in his own zone to spring his linemates, threw some nice hits, and generated a few chances out of nothing, but there's just this panic to his game when he gets in close. They showed a slow-mo of his chance off Jankowski's saucer pass, and you could see him wave his stick back and forth frantically before making one too many moves and losing the puck. Tough to figure out.
A few posters mentioning that pass. That pass was not completely clean and went off a defenders stick. I don't think Bennett had as much time and space as he would have liked after adjusting for that. As it was, Halak made a great save.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the team speed was way up, their transition was super quick. It reminded me of Vegas at times.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #153
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was going to write and in depth post on every player, where they belong, and what is going to happen this season.

But then I realized I've only watched ~60 minutes of NHL preseason hockey.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #154
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And yet tons of people saying it’s night and day from last year...after one game. But I agree with them, so they’re right and he’s wrong.
Don't put words in my mouth

I said we are over analyzing one pre-season game...both sides, many sides
Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #155
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I will not lie - I do worry that Ryan is going to be overused by Peters. Shootout selection with him rather than Monahan was a glaring one. Not sure what to make out of it because Peters started with Tkachuk who is a no-brainer on the shootout... if Tkachuk wasn't there, I would have said it was a reward for good play for some players... I guess we will have to keep an eye on that and see what happens.
I was just assuming Peters was giving other guys a chance on the shootout because it was a meaningless game. I think Monahan would be a no-brainer for one of the three shooters once the season starts. Derek Ryan only got one shootout attempt last season and he missed so I don't expect him out there normally.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #156
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can someone link the Tkachuk shoot out goal ?
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #157
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few more thoughts:

-New Era’s comments were right on if only looking at the 1st. The 2nd and 3rd was great.

-I had to laugh at the pre game interview with Gio. The Chinese interviewer was trying to get the crowd pumped and asked if the Flames were going to smash the Bruins. Gio gave a very stereotypical nice polite Canadian response. It was great.

-The arena looked great with excellent sight lines. Also the pre game light show was excellent. It was a strange experience though. The concourse makes the Dome look spacious and there was extremely limited food and drink options. Many fans were leaving the arena and bringing back Big Macs. It was also a little odd the merchandise was cash only with no ATMs in the building.

-It definitely had the feel of a Flames home game with Lanny, Beesley, and Harvey all there. We even got find the hidden Timmy’s doughnut. The crowd was definitely pro Flames with all the neutral fans going for the good guys. When Gio tied the game late the place erupted. My only issue was the white towels they were asking us to wave. White towels are for dirty Nucks fans and I refused to wave it on principle.

-The ice seemed pretty good considering it was 35 and humid outside. Lots of strange bounces off the boards though.

-Halak was amazing. He made himself like look big and also had great lateral movement on a few huge saves. It was nice of Boston the let us watch the great Tuukka Rask for 5 minutes though.

-Gillies looked very shaky in the 1st and needed to have the 2nd goal. He definitely settled down though and made some good saves on the 3rd period 5 on 3 and the OT 4 on 3.

-FU Marchant! Of course he scores the tying goal in the shootout.

Overall it was a great game. Bring on the season.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #158
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Can someone link the Tkachuk shoot out goal ?
https://streamable.com/c3hb1
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #159
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The comments towards Bennett vs the game Bennett played prove the pitchforks have been sharpened since March, the comments already tuned up for the first time he played regardless of what happened.
The pitchforks have been upgraded to lasers.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #160
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I still have a minor hope Bennett will get better but its hard not to see him being our Nail Yakupov.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote