Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help :)

Well, being an idiot, I tried out AVG PC Tune Up, and now my system (Vista on an HP laptop) is completely screwed up. My DVD drive won't read disks properly anymore, my "mouse" freezes, I cannot run certain programs. Awesome, my mouse is frozen right now. Of course, there is no back-up to allow me to undo the change AVG made. So, what can I do? Thoughts from the technically wise?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try using System Restore to revert the changes: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Try using System Restore to revert the changes: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/

No restore points.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This isn’t to point and say ha-ha, but this is why you don’t run registry cleanup tools. They are a waste of time, and have zero impact on performance. Removing unused registry entries does nothing to improve application performance - applications retrieve the registry keys they need, and no others.

This whole idea of a “cluttered” registry is nonsense.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

sclitheroe, you might know better than i do but is there a repair or restore function on the original vista disks?

to vlad, did you turn off the restore point function? no server or nas backups?

one thing that you could do is run your windows update and see if it picks up anything that has been missed; i also recommend getting the mouse software running asap because navigation with a keyboard is a pain.

sorry i can't be more use; i can't believe that the software didn't offer a restore point.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Well, being an idiot, I tried out AVG PC Tune Up, and now my system (Vista on an HP laptop) is completely screwed up. My DVD drive won't read disks properly anymore, my "mouse" freezes, I cannot run certain programs. Awesome, my mouse is frozen right now. Of course, there is no back-up to allow me to undo the change AVG made. So, what can I do? Thoughts from the technically wise?
Well there's your first problem. System restore / Windows repair tends to bork your registry anyways (installed programs will use up disk space but won't actually run, etc.) so you'll probably need to back up, do a clean install, and then copy your save files / profiles etc. back onto the new install. While you're doing this, you should take the opportunity to go to Windows 7.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Well there's your first problem. System restore / Windows repair tends to bork your registry anyways (installed programs will use up disk space but won't actually run, etc.) so you'll probably need to back up, do a clean install, and then copy your save files / profiles etc. back onto the new install. While you're doing this, you should take the opportunity to go to Windows 7.
System restore also restores a backup of your registry hives. You can extract these manually if you want or replace them with hive files of your own choosing from any date if you have saved them.

He can't do system restore anyway as there are no points.

He should be able to just do a basic OS repair from that bleeping computer link though that should keep most of his programs operational. That should always be tried first before the backup and format approach which is like taking a sledgehammer to a wall tack.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this is probably a long shot, since the computer does boot, but have you tried booting to last known good configuration? It might put you back into the same place.

Assuming that doesn't work, I would do an OS repair. Before you do that though, backup whatever data you can to an external drive because if it doesn't work you are probably best off to do a complete re-install. So might as well do it now rather than after doing something that could bork things even worse (even though it is unlikely).

Also, as has been mentioned, since you are doing a re-install, go pick up a copy of Windows 7.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just did a complete re-install. There wasn't much data to back-up. Everything seems fine, except my DVD drive still won't read disks, which is a pain, given that this is the computer I use for Europa Universalis. Thanks to everyone for responding!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't it see exhorbitant to spend $230 when I can get a whole laptop with W7 for about twice that?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't it see exhorbitant to spend $230 when I can get a whole laptop with W7 for about twice that?
A quick Shopbot.ca check shows you can get a Home Premium Upgrade for $91.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

or Memory Express has a sale on right now

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...(ME).aspx?cc=1

$105 for Home Premium OEM
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Vista had nothing to do with the root cause of failure in this case. All of the system protection (eg. scheduled system restore points, full system image backups, etc) in Windows 7 is included in Vista as well.

It’s fun to bash on Vista but it’s without blame here.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as a weird follow-up, as I mentioned my DVD drive would not recognize any disks. So, I torrented EU III (well, I paid for it initially ), and strangely enough, after I installed it, the laptop suddenly recognizes the disk drive again. Weird, but as long as it works, I'll try to squeeze another 12-18 months out of it (or until I absolutely have to have Civ 5).
Another question - best cable for hooking up my laptop to the HDTV (VGA) - is this what I need?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...fc71b63e51en02

Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Just as a weird follow-up, as I mentioned my DVD drive would not recognize any disks. So, I torrented EU III (well, I paid for it initially ), and strangely enough, after I installed it, the laptop suddenly recognizes the disk drive again. Weird, but as long as it works, I'll try to squeeze another 12-18 months out of it (or until I absolutely have to have Civ 5).
Another question - best cable for hooking up my laptop to the HDTV (VGA) - is this what I need?

Yes that's what you need, but THAT is not what NEED.

VGA is fine but go buy the $10 one at MemExpress. No need to get monster on anything shorter than 10 meters... and even then, the dif is negligable/unnoticable.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...MX612(ME).aspx
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alltherage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

double posted on edit somehow.

Post below is complete.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-26-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you just need video:

10'

15'

If you want audio as well:

10'

15'

Either is about $4-6, plus a couple bucks shipping.

I use the 25 foot w/ audio whenever I need to hook a pc/laptop to my TV that doesn't have HDMI output and have never noticed any issues. I also got a 3.5mm Stereo Female to 2RCA Male so I could route the sound through my receiver. Depending on the distance you need to go to plug into the receiver, you might need a stereo plug extension as well.

All told you could spend less than $10-12 including shipping.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-26-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added the 15' lengths and other cables
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just did a complete re-install. There wasn't much data to back-up. Everything seems fine, except my DVD drive still won't read disks, which is a pain, given that this is the computer I use for Europa Universalis. Thanks to everyone for responding!
And by Europa Universalis you mean This
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I know this is probably a long shot, since the computer does boot, but have you tried booting to last known good configuration? It might put you back into the same place.

Assuming that doesn't work, I would do an OS repair. Before you do that though, backup whatever data you can to an external drive because if it doesn't work you are probably best off to do a complete re-install. So might as well do it now rather than after doing something that could JOKINEN things even worse (even though it is unlikely).

Also, as has been mentioned, since you are doing a re-install, go pick up a copy of Windows 7.
FYP

Do not disparage the BORK, BORK, BORK!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post: