Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Google TV to Target Apple TV?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...s-web-web.html

Interesting stuff. If anything, it should see Apple move the ATV out of the "hobby" realm and into a more serious product.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mind it. Competition is certainly a good thing. The fact that you need a keyboard a mouse and a special remote would be a bit of a drag for me.

I don't know how much I would use internet portion of it, though how they show you using it is neat and makes sense. I haven't clicked your link, I watched some video and read some stuff at Gizmodo but I'm still confused about exactly how it works. Do I plug the google TV into my cable box or do I pay for cable account through the GoogleTV, and if so is anyone in Canada even going to offer me this service.

It will be interesting to see how it works out, I love my AppleTV and if I could get live sports on it I wouldn't be paying for cable.

Looking more into this it actually looks like something I would definitely use but I have a funny feeling that Canadians will be shut out for this thing for a while, running tv shows from Hulu or purchasing Amazon.com. Renting movies from Netflix, using Dish network to get your tv.

Last edited by The Ditch; 05-20-2010 at 12:45 PM.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also hope this competition spurs Apple to put more effort into the Apple TV. I've had my Apple TV for about a month now and I think it's great, I use it all the time. The whole set top box market is almost completely untapped. It's going to be a huge market, but no one has got it right with their products and content. With that said the Apple TV is the best out there at the moment IMO.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
I don't know how much I would use internet portion of it, though how they show you using it is neat and makes sense. I haven't clicked your link, I watched some video and read some stuff at Gizmodo but I'm still confused about exactly how it works. Do I plug the google TV into my cable box or do I pay for cable account through the GoogleTV, and if so is anyone in Canada even going to offer me this service.
From Wired:

The Google TV software will be available on TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top boxes through Best Buy in fall this year. It will be independent of the cable service providers. All devices running the Google TV software will have Wi-Fi and ethernet connectivity, a keyboard and a “pointing device” or a mouse.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...#ixzz0oUvJzLec

Also from the article:

“If Google didn’t act, we face a draconian future. One man, one company, one device would control our future,” Gundotra told attendees at the conference, making a clear swipe at Apple — without mentioning Apple by name. “If you believe in openness and choice, welcome to Android.”
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

you know, i love google, but the "you better buy my product or else you support terrorists/communism/steve jobs" crap makes me puke.

solve my problem better than the other guy and i'll buy your product.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Psshhh...

Welcome to 1994 Google.

Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

C'mon Google fanbois, take the bait.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Looks very cool and I hope it lights a fire under Apple's ass to strengthen the Apple TV, but by virtue of being in Canada the Google TV will be more of a decent competitor to the Apple TV up here, whereas in the states it's a much stronger device. iTunes is still the only way to get legitimate streaming content, so when it comes to searching for streaming media I have to imagine it'll be useless north of the border.

That being said it sounds like it will pull media from iTunes or any computer in your house, so it's definitely stronger than the Apple TV. Hell, at this point the iPad can play more complex media files than the Apple TV.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Hey, maybe Apple can just buy Google and then build their search technology into a future version of AppleTV that supports live television and has a searchable TV guide...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

...and then maybe Microsoft will buy Apple for their one button mouse patents...
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And like most things Google recently, I expect there to be six or seven variants, all running different versions of Android, non-existent customer support from Google, a shifting feature set, and outages that are expected to be tolerated because its all still "beta".

I seriously wonder why people put up with some of the crap that they do from Google. They are getting worse as they expand, not better by any stretch.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe because absolutely zero of those things have negatively affected me?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Same here. I use a variety of Google products and have never had a problem with service or anything mentioned above.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In all fairness, I'm not denying that the Nexus One customer service failed miserably at launch. The entire concept of a phone that had to be purchased without ever handling one was a stupid idea. I'm very much the target audience for that sort of thing, and even I wouldn't consider buying a phone that way. They have now recognized that and moved on. The idea that the fragmentation of Android really impacts people is almost entirely an Apple fan-created myth.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
The idea that the fragmentation of Android really impacts people is almost entirely an Apple fan-created myth.
Googling android fragmentation leads to over 2 million hits. A lot of people are thinking and talking about it, and trying to determine what effect it will have on the platform.

And it most certainly does impact people - we have already seen ample evidence that carriers and phone manufacturers are not as aggressive as one would hope at updating the OS for devices already purchased, leading to people using unofficial ROMs and whatnot.

It also paves the way for handsets with wildly different feature sets, tablets, etc, which could actually be a good thing.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Important thing is Google has moved on too.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks very promising - watch the video:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/l...phone-apps-we/

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neat video, but when I lean back and view it with a practical mindset, all I'm seeing is bells and whistles.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
C'mon Google fanbois, take the bait.
Google has fanboys(ois)? :P

Whatever the product Google comes out with I'm sure it will be neutered all to hell in Canada.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #20
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Google has fanboys(ois)? :P
Apparently not.