Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

“The Joy-Con controllers will be included alongside the Switch.
Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."
According to Nintendo, the Joy-Con controllers — named Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R — will be included alongside the Nintendo Switch system.

When asked if the Nintendo Switch will have touchscreen support, Nintendo declined to comment.
"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product," Nintendo told IGN
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/2...ional-features
So the touch screen is not a given. I guess if you have to dock the console to play on the big screen, it won't be any use in games. Also kinda confirmation that the dock is just that, probably without additional capabilities.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #62
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

It releases in 5 short months why can't they comment? Its very odd.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #63
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Switch looks neat, I may be tempted to get one on release day.

But I am still waiting for Canadian launch information of the NES Mini Classic. It's just 3 weeks away and still no official launch info for Canada....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #64
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the official language polices may be causing a delay. Do the games all need to have French translations?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #65
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
So tech specs don't matter as long as the game says Mario or Zelda on it? Well without tech specs enjoy your dumbed down versions of square, Capcom, and Atlus games, but hey at least its portable.
If they're Square, Capcom and Atlus games that are releasing cross platform then you should be buying them on PC anyways.

In fact, if you care about look and specs so much, why are you wasting money on consoles at all?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #66
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's wrong with waiting for specs before declaring he's going to buy it? Nintendo is always behind the curve so its fair to have a wait and see approach

They can only rely on their IPs so much. I won't buy another poorly supported console with below average performace again
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #67
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Put me in the disappointed camp as well. I do mostly PC gaming, but I'd also like a console where I can play sports games with local multiplayer and play cool new Nintendo games. Overly cartoony Nintendo games can be fun, but it feels like they do it because of limitations, not because its a better option. Maybe I'm just nostalgic and want what I felt in my N64 days.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #68
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
What's wrong with waiting for specs before declaring he's going to buy it?
Because buying console for specs makes no sense. They will always be inferior. Buy a console for the games available on it. It's not like anything they put out is going to take huge steps back from current specs, so if you've been happy with current gen I don't see why you'd balk at this.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 10-20-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #69
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
What's wrong with waiting for specs before declaring he's going to buy it? Nintendo is always behind the curve so its fair to have a wait and see approach

They can only rely on their IPs so much. I won't buy another poorly supported console with below average performace again
Because Raekwon isn't simply saying "I want to wait for specs before I decide". He's already pre-judging the system as crap and is being pretty damned arrogant in implying that anyone who doesn't think like he does is wrong and everything that he doesn't like is inferior. He is demonstrating that he is completely incapable of believing anyone could have different interests and priorities than he does.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #70
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has he determined the system as crap though? He said having a 3DS and WiiU means he'll wait and see. If its not a big improvement why buy day 1?

I'm in the exact same boat. And with the announcement that Zelda will be on both the Switch and WiiU ill be in no rush

I am a big portable gaming fan so I'm liking what I see, if done right this will be an amazing console. But I understand being skeptical with Nintendos console track record
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #71
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks awesome to me. I haven't owned a console since the N64, but I will certainly be looking at getting one of those.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #72
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because Raekwon isn't simply saying "I want to wait for specs before I decide". He's already pre-judging the system as crap and is being pretty damned arrogant in implying that anyone who doesn't think like he does is wrong and everything that he doesn't like is inferior. He is demonstrating that he is completely incapable of believing anyone could have different interests and priorities than he does.
I'm not saying the system is crap I'm saying this smells like a bad kickstarter campaign showing a product with no information and people are jumping all over it without having the ability to make an informed decision besides "Its Nintendo". I just read that Nintendo won't be releasing pricing or specs until early 2017.

Nintendo has been resting on their exclusive titles for so long and people don't call them out for releasing gimmicky or inferior hardware because they just want the next best Mario or Zelda title and I understand that because who doesn't want those games.

Is the system more powerful on the dock? Battery life? etc. I'm sure many people myself included were just hoping for a basic system of old with great looking games we all know and love and not some gimmick system with detachable mini controller and a portable element.

I'm not going to address the PC comments because they have no place in here and there is no need to start a PC VS Console discussion in here. I'm comparing against other consoles. My comments regarding tech specs boil down to will 3rd party companies have to alter their games they release on other systems to work with the Switch and if so how long before they decide its not worth the effort or release shells of the games released on other consoles. If this is the case then just keep the portable and home consoles separate like they are now.

I love Nintendo and have had money put aside for this console for a while now but if you can't see my opinion based on the extremely limited information we received yesterday as anything but arrogant then maybe step back and try to see it from another perspective.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #73
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nintendo is finally providing one unified home and mobile gaming system. I found it interesting who they were marketing to. Basically 20 and 30 somethings who don't have time to plonk down and spend lots of time gaming but people on the go, who can bring their games with them.

Don't know if it will be a hit but again, big respect to trying to expand the gaming market and provide something new.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #74
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
My comments regarding tech specs boil down to will 3rd party companies have to alter their games they release on other systems to work with the Switch and if so how long before they decide its not worth the effort or release shells of the games released on other consoles. If this is the case then just keep the portable and home consoles separate like they are now.
What in Nintendo's history has led you to believe they would actually try to keep up with the pace of top end console graphics? We all know they will continue down the route of having lesser capabilities as they know competing for the best graphics isn't going to win them anything.

So yes, it's very safe to assume that Call of Grand Space Zombie Theft Duty 9 will not look the same on the Switch as the PS4 or XBone, and third party support will be similar to what we saw on the Wii U. They'll release a game or two as contractually obligated and move on.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #75
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Nintendo has been resting on their exclusive titles for so long and people don't call them out for releasing gimmicky or inferior hardware because they just want the next best Mario or Zelda title and I understand that because who doesn't want those games.
But that's the point, isn't it? You are upset that people don't call Nintendo out for... making great games?

Seriously. Why the hell should I, or anyone, care that the Switch won't blow the PS4 or XB1 out of the water on hardware when I know there will be plenty of games that I, and many others, will enjoy on this system?

Also, please be honest with yourself. Your posts in the VR thread make it clear you are interested in and excited for that technology. So don't sit here and condemn Nintendo for a gimmick when VR is no less of a gimmick itself.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #76
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't see Rockstar listed in the 3rd party supporters. Is Nintendo gearing this system towards younger gamers like the Wii/U?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #77
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
But that's the point, isn't it? You are upset that people don't call Nintendo out for... making great games?

Seriously. Why the hell should I, or anyone, care that the Switch won't blow the PS4 or XB1 out of the water on hardware when I know there will be plenty of games that I, and many others, will enjoy on this system?

Also, please be honest with yourself. Your posts in the VR thread make it clear you are interested in and excited for that technology. So don't sit here and condemn Nintendo for a gimmick when VR is no less of a gimmick itself.
I'm upset that a system shrouded in shadows was unveiled and announced to be released in 5 months and they couldn't even tell us the size of the portable screen. Maybe I'm a little concerned after having the Wii U and its controller having such a poor battery life and components that are hard to replace. That is the cost to these gimmicks and these aren't optional addons this is the base system.

Yes the games are awesome and I'm not comparing the Wii U graphics to other consoles even though I think the Wii U looks just fine but if its not going to be an improvement why can't they just release it on the Wii U? I'm upset that they are abandoning a system not because of performance but because of a new gimmick they thought of that will be replaced soon and we don't think twice about it because we want that new Mario game. And with the new system comes a new VC and all of the digital games you purchased need to be bought again and again.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #78
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Didn't see Rockstar listed in the 3rd party supporters. Is Nintendo gearing this system towards younger gamers like the Wii/U?
Take 2 was listed. They are the parent company of Rockstar.
GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #79
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

From what I've read the dock is just a charging station and connector for TV and stuff, it won't have any additional CPU/GPU. Which is good in that the system is completely portable, and some may say bad in that that's as powerful as it's going to be.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #80
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would have been nice would be that, say the tablet is 720p. The dock could have a different GPU that could push 1080p to your screen. In the future they could sell a new dock that could do 4k. That would be great, but I have no idea if it could be done technically. It would add to the cost, to, so maybe they could have a barebones dock that comes with the system(just pass through the signal), and anything above that is a more expensive package.