Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Everquest

I noticed a few random mentions of EQ in these forums, but no particular thread dedicated to the game itself. I've met exactly 2 Calgarians who've played the game in my 12 years of playing, and am sort of curious if any of you guys are active.
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Former addict here, lvl 52 human warrior. I have my 10 year sobriety chip. So to answer your question... no I'm not active
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

EQ: Next might pique my interest if it turns out to be anything other than generic like most fantasy MMOs, but I didn't ever play much EQ back in the day, was playing DaoC and UO when EQ was popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't played for a long time, but there was a time when it was my life. I was heavily invested in the end game for a long period of time with most of my RL friends.

Had quite a few characters that I played, due to requirements of the guild. Mostly clerics and enchanters towards the end, but I only really called my shaman my own. I think the max level when I quit was 70 as I recall being the first cleric to 65 on my server when whatever expansion that was came out, and then came back to play that character after quite long break.

I logged in for about 10 minutes when it went FTP, but no desire to get involved in anything more.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I played when it first came out, but quickly lost interest and went back to UO. I never 'got' EQ, the grind and lack fo PvP just wasn't for me.

I haven't really looked at EQ: Next but it is getting a lot of interest, is it free to play?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

This game still exists?

FTP means free to play I assume?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aye, it's technically Free to Play at the moment, but there's a lot of restrictions that come with it, to the point that it's utterly impossible to Raid high end as an FTP player, simply can't be done. Still a decent option for someone who'd only play 5-10 hours a week though. However, if you wanted to play it to a higher degree, you can earn enough Platinum to purchase Krono from other players to redeem for 30 days of Gold access. That's how I pay for all 12 of my accounts, fairly easy to farm enough platinum for them in my experience.

I'm actually surprised I even got a response to this thread within a few hours haha.

As far as EQnext goes, it will not be free to play from what I saw at fan faire. It's a very sandbox type of game, not enough details have been released about it to really give it much of a synopsis. But the general theme I got was, it's going to be very cartoony in regards to character models (which I sort of hate, with a passion), the basis of leveling will be more in tune with RIFT, and incorporate multi classing. There won't be any raiding to my knowledge, which pretty much makes the game irrelevant in my books. It's certainly going to be something entirely new to the MMO community though, worth a look for the casual gamer
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I played a lot of EQ. Its actually how I got my username Pacem from. Was the name of my first character after a name change. I was originally sPACEMan and they changed it for me. Found out it can mean peace in Latin so it kind of stuck. I was very active shortly after release and up to and thru the Planes of Power Expansion. Was part of a decent guild on the server I played on. I played a monk as my main. Didn't have any real life friends that played the game the amount I played it.

I noticed the FTP, logged in and ran around for 20mins never started it up again.

I moved to Warcraft with a bunch of people I played EQ with. I'll likely try out EQ next.

Interesting tidbit. The Prima made Planes of Power strategy guide has an excerpt that was written by me about the monk class. I seen the guide in the store and started reading about the monk class and thought it sounded very similar so I flipped to the back of the book and in the acknowledgments I was pleased to find a thanks for "Pacem". Some writer from the company asked people to post a description about their class on the forums I frequented (Monkley-business) and they used what I wrote.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacem For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I wonder how many CP posters got their usernames from online gaming?

Mine was from Diablo II. Kind of wished I changed it when I stopped lurking on CP because it doesn't really give people a favourable first impression ;D
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ I did. From Ultima Online. Seems like 10 life times ago.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
^ I wonder how many CP posters got their usernames from online gaming?

Mine was from Diablo II. Kind of wished I changed it when I stopped lurking on CP because it doesn't really give people a favourable first impression ;D
I used mine well before EQ and online gaming , dating back to about 1995-6.

My main in EQ was Rathji, though.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, the game's been slowly dying for the past several years and is crawling towards that critical point where it won't be worth servicing, though they'll still likely keep a server or two online. Most raid guilds have closed their doors (Mine included), to the point where each server only really averages 2-3 active raiding Guilds. Kind of disappointing to see as a lifer, but not much to be done when the parent company never bothered to advertise, ever.

So if any of you would like to hop on and enjoy one last hit of evercrack and perhaps enjoy some older raid content before the servers become totally barren, I'm more than willing to give up any of my 11 alt accounts (All max level/high AA toons) to someone who'd make some use of them, they've pretty much just been sitting around since my Guild stopped raiding
Old 11-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Almost 2019, and yes, Everquest is still going. The devs have been working on the 20th Anniversary for the past year and a half and looks pretty fun from what I've been allowed to see in Beta. Old School players would be pleased to know the least few expansions were Kunark revamps and the next 2-3 appear to be PoP revamps (The expansion coming out next month is a mix of Plane of Fire and Plane of Air, they've returned to a more traditional questing style where answers are not given as freely, there's a lot of problem solving involved for the first time in a very long time)

Anyway, just thought I'd bump, Draxx if you're around hurry up and join my bloody Guild already
Old 11-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the highest I made it in this game was level 20, I played a Druid, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Someone in my guild took me at level 20 to this camp, it was a single mob spawn camp where I would DOT/Kite the npc around in a circle till it died, then meditate (stare at my spell book) until the next one spawned. I think I did it for about 30 minutes and then logged out and never logged back in lol. I just did not get the appeal to 'leveling' like that at all.

I'm sure the game is completely different now, and I am sure I missed out on some fun times, but at the time for me UO was still far superior and later DAoC just seemed like a better version of EQ. DAoC was the last good MMO pre WOW, WOW was good.. but so different. That was the beginning of the end for originality in the genre.

It is cool to see old games like this still going though. Once you find a niche player base you can downsize your team/resources to fit that niche and go forever it seems. UO is still going fairly strong as well I believe with at least one very popular server in each area of the world. The problem with UO is they took it from skill based to item based, which destroyed the game for me.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I remember I quit after running back to my corpse once for like an hour, and then hearing that WoW was going to not have that. EQ's death penalties were brutal.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't miss that at all (Especially in the days before in-game maps were a thing), it's kind of a badge of honor for the player base though. There will never again be a mainstream MMO as difficult as day 1 EQ was.

Haha Lantern, I play a Necro, so I've spent my fair share of time kiting, kiting (At least at the low levels) was always and still is a miserable way to spend your playtime, I remember deciding to just lifetap tank stuff when I couldn't get groups back then, no patience for that crap
Old 11-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #17
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Perhaps EQ is the most difficult game from EQ onward.. but UO was 10x harder of a game. EQ was difficult from a pure grind perspective, UO had that (getting 100 in a skill in the early days was un heard of) but on top of that you had to do it while in constant fear for your life AND 100% loot drop upon death.

There will never be another game that was as cut throat as UO, and they didn't even make it a year from launch with those rules, but EQ was care bear compared to pre rep patch UO days

TL DR: My nerds bigger than your nerd.