Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Most popular Android phones

Not sure if this has already been discussed but I was wondering what the tech-savvy people in this forum think the most popular Android phones are. Obviously, the leader seems to be Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. Are there any Samsungs worth looking at? What about HTC, Sony or LG?
Thanks
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Galaxy and Note lines are both Samsung.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

The HTC One.

Seriously, wait for it. The S3 is already pretty dated in the Android world.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are looking at new phones now, the only 2 devices that should be on your radar are really the Galaxy S3 or Nexus 4. The S3 is really dated at this point, but you should be able to get it free on a contract without much trouble.

If you want to wait a while, you can add the HTC One or S4 to that list.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I were buying an Android phone today, it'd be the Nexus 4. But I would also be tempted to wait for the HTC One and Galaxy S4.

If you like a bigger phone, the Note II seems to be the best bet.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

S4 coming out soon. I had the s2 for a while but Samsung pretty much pulled an apple with minor/gimmick upgrades to the s3/s4. Ended up buying the blackberry z10 for something different. If I were to ever switch back it would be an android.
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the Nexus 4, its a pretty sweet unit.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a good thread to ask this. For anyone who have a Note 2 is it really pocketable? I've watch some YT videos of people (there is no good way to say this) putting it in their pocket but wanted some real world comments. I use my phone 95% for data so it's of interest to me.

Mick, regarding the HTC One, who is rumoured to carry it and when? Also is the camera actually good? They market it as amazing. Not sure you actually have one yet but you seem to know about it.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 04-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
The HTC One.

Seriously, wait for it. The S3 is already pretty dated in the Android world.
x2 on almost anything HTC. I've only owned HTC since I got into the smart phone market so I'm a tad biased but I really do like the fact that they have a bit of a hefty feel to them, feel like a better quality phone. Samsung always felt so flimsy and plastic. HTC sense is a really nice addition too.

Solid devices, totally recommend them.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The S3 is already pretty dated in the Android world.
LOL...no it isn't. It's still one of the best devices out there. How is it dated?
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played with a Sony ZL today and was disapointed with no home button.

I'm equally concerned though with HTC One's in Canada not having a 64 GB version. We'll have to see I guess.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having the Nexus Galaxy, I can't see myself wanting anything other than a Nexus phone (which would be the Nexus 4 right now). With it being updated by Google*, even though my phone is old I don't feel like I'm behind the times at all. OS updates are so current that as long as the phone is capable it will be updated without waiting being beholden to the manufacturer to release the updates. Because we all know, any manufacturer would rather sell a new phone than update an old.

*I discovered after I got my Nexus that Google doesn't automatically update phones outside of the US (Google updated the YAKJU, while Canada was given YAKJUUX). Generally this is to allow time for localization. But since that isn't really an issue, I simply flashed my phone to stock Android (YAKJU) and Google has updated ever since.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After having the htc Thunderbolt (Verizon exclusive) and dealing with htc's garbage software, slow updates, and bloatware I decided I would never again have a phone with anything but stock Android on it. I bought a Galaxy Nexus and have been thrilled with it ever since. Even on stupid Verizon I'm running the newest 4.2.2 without having to flash ROMs or anything. It's too bad there aren't more Nexus options because the N4 isn't really an option for me. I'm hoping for good announcements at Google IO next month.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a Nexus 4 and love it. I also second considering waiting for a HTC One. Does anyone have or had an LG Optimus G or HTC One X+? There's also the Motorola Razr HD and Sony Xperia T in the high end phone category, but all of these phones are 4-6 months old now. The S3 is even older.

I suppose a relevant question to ask is how big do you want it to be?

Last edited by comrade; 04-02-2013 at 10:55 PM.
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
LOL...no it isn't. It's still one of the best devices out there. How is it dated?
The device was released in May 2012, for an industry where yearly release cycles are the norm rather than the exception. Its replacement, the S4, is due out in April 2013 (pre-orders start today I think) Be definition, I think that makes it dated.

That's not to say it is a bad phone, but of all the options out right now, or due to be out soon, it isn't the best phone to be picking up on a 3 year contract. The only real advantage it has over the any of the other phones is you can likely get it free on contract. I guess the other consideration where is is probably the best phone out right now is the fact that it has 4G, where the Nexus 4 doesn't as the setting that allowed it was recently patched out.

Bottom line is, unless cost or timeline is a major issue, you are better waiting for a S4 or HTC One, than picking up a S3 and there are major arguements to be made that the Nexus 4 is a better purchase right now due to cost and the simple fact it is a Nexus phone.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Because it's year-old hardware. HTC, Sony, LG, Asus, Panasonic, Motorola, etc. have all released more powerful Android handsets than the S3.

It's still a good device. "Dated" and "Good Device" aren't mutually exclusive. Like Rathji said - it's just probably a questionable choice to get one on contract today.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's year-old hardware. HTC, Sony, LG, Asus, Panasonic, Motorola, etc. have all released more powerful Android handsets than the S3.

It's still a good device. "Dated" and "Good Device" aren't mutually exclusive. Like Rathji said - it's just probably a questionable choice to get one on contract today.
Device is dated, but software is the same. When I got jellybean on my s2 felt like I had a new phone. I would of hung on to it for longer if I didn't lose it. But I made a temporary switch to z10. Waiting for s5 cause s4 was disappointing.
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPepper1 View Post
Device is dated, but software is the same. When I got jellybean on my s2 felt like I had a new phone. I would of hung on to it for longer if I didn't lose it. But I made a temporary switch to z10. Waiting for s5 cause s4 was disappointing.
Yeah, project butter felt like a hardware upgrade on my SGN.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that the S3 can be had for less than $300 on kijiji right now made it a very attractive phone for me when looking to replace my abuse-suffering iPhone 4S.

How easy is it to take the phone to stock andriod OS? I really want the latest updates so I can have lock screen notifications, but it doesn't seem to be coming any time soon through Samsung/Telus.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote