Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #41
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Did you actually play BC2 or just looked at screenshots and deduced from there?
i watched a lot of videos and read some reviews. The downsides outweighed the benefits.

hence why i got Bops.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #42
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha you thought black ops looked better than BC2? That game is so bush, you can even tell from the vids with the crappy gun play and hitboxes. What downsides are you referring to?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #43
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Desert Combat and DCX were the best Battlefield variants ever.
I haven't heard mention of those games in a looooong time. The founder of Desert Combat went on to make Frontlines: Fuel of War and the unreleased Homefront.

The developers of DC were all really cool folk. I remember the first build I played of that game. It would crash when you got into a helicopter.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #44
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
i watched a lot of videos and read some reviews. The downsides outweighed the benefits.

hence why i got Bops.
I'm curious as to which reviews you read. The ones I read were universally favorable except for www.callofdutyr0x0rs4life.com
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #45
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm surprised that everybody is so down on Black Ops on Xbox 360. Yes, it was not great when it was first released. Lots of lag, disconnects, etc.

I play a lot online and I'm actually really happy with it now, after the recent patches. I set it to "Locale Only" so that I only connect to (relatively) low latency matches, I have no problem finding matches, and I get 4 bar connections most of the time. Lag does occur every once in a while, but it really isn't a big deal.

I play hardcore headquarters pretty much exclusively.

I haven't played BF2 yet, so I can't compare.

I have to say BF3 does look awesome, but I'm not going to spend $1000+ on a new PC just to play it. I'll give it a shot on Xbox 360 and I'll just have to live with the less than spectacular graphics.

teamchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #46
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
I haven't heard mention of those games in a looooong time. The founder of Desert Combat went on to make Frontlines: Fuel of War and the unreleased Homefront.

The developers of DC were all really cool folk. I remember the first build I played of that game. It would crash when you got into a helicopter.
Desert Combat still has the best helicopter physics of any Battlefield game. very difficult to master, but once you did you could turn the tide of a battle. i hate the helicopters in Bad Company 2 in comparison, in the main game you may stay in the air for a whole 10 seconds before getting tracer darted and blown out of the sky. and then on the flipside in BC2: Vietnam they are completely overpowered, anyone with half a brain and a joystick can completely dominate a map. the unguided stingers in Desert Combat were the perfect anti-air balance
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #47
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Desert Combat still has the best helicopter physics of any Battlefield game. very difficult to master, but once you did you could turn the tide of a battle.
Agreed. I liked the idea that someone who just installed the game would literally be unable to fly more than 15 seconds without crashing. You actually had to learn what you were doing, preferably in single player, before you could fly. In BF2 and BC2, you can pretty much take your hands off the controls for 10 seconds without any real problems. Try that in DC and you'd be upside down in 2 seconds.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My only problem with the Battlefield games was when you took over a plane or helicopter, mainly because the theatres were too small for jets, you'd end up flying out of bounds constantly.

I did manage to do some flight physics impossible movements in a jet though, including nose over stalls without canards.

I always liked taking the gunner seats in the helicopters especially the Cobra, but the problem was that the computer controlled pilots were completely petarded and would fly you into the side of a mountain.

One of the best things in the first bf was to go online, get a bunch of buddies to man a destroyer or even an aircraft carrier and either bombard shoreline villages or launch alpha strikes while the other side tried to sink your carrier and had to dodge machine gun fire during their bombing runs.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #49
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
My only problem with the Battlefield games was when you took over a plane or helicopter, mainly because the theatres were too small for jets, you'd end up flying out of bounds constantly.

I did manage to do some flight physics impossible movements in a jet though, including nose over stalls without canards.

I always liked taking the gunner seats in the helicopters especially the Cobra, but the problem was that the computer controlled pilots were completely petarded and would fly you into the side of a mountain.

One of the best things in the first bf was to go online, get a bunch of buddies to man a destroyer or even an aircraft carrier and either bombard shoreline villages or launch alpha strikes while the other side tried to sink your carrier and had to dodge machine gun fire during their bombing runs.
In BC2, I've played some games with excellent heli pilots. Strafe runs as you're hanging out the side of a Huey mowing the jungle down hunting VC is an awesome theatrical experience.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I was in a door gunner mission where a bunch of players got ambushed and called for an evac. We came down in a hot zone in a huey with a pilot, co pilot and 2 door gunners.

We probably greased more of our guys then the enemy.

If it was done right, BF was a great game, especially if you got guys playing specific roles. Guys that would grab artillary, guys that would grabe air craft, and guys that would grab tanks or APC's.

If you could get enough guys on line you could have some serious battles.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #51
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I was in a door gunner mission where a bunch of players got ambushed and called for an evac. We came down in a hot zone in a huey with a pilot, co pilot and 2 door gunners.

We probably greased more of our guys then the enemy.

If it was done right, BF was a great game, especially if you got guys playing specific roles. Guys that would grab artillary, guys that would grabe air craft, and guys that would grab tanks or APC's.

If you could get enough guys on line you could have some serious battles.
Yeah, on the 360 it is basically everyone going for the heli, then they don't get it so they blow it up so no one can have it. Then when they finally get it, they are killed within seconds because they suck.

That, or your team of 12 has 8 snipers, 5 of which are at the back of the map who will kill a combined 11 people during the entire game.

Are PC games different? For example, do people actually play as a team?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #52
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That's why PC players want player-run/owned servers, so they can deal with crap like that.

In a game with player run servers, you'll find servers like that, but you'll also find well-admined servers where that almost never happens.

Though flying 1 foot over the runway to mow down all the guys waiting for planes still happened on the best BF servers from time to time

Where on the bad servers, people would kill each other to get the plane, then blow up the plane, while the other team took over all the points.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #53
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Yeah, on the 360 it is basically everyone going for the heli, then they don't get it so they blow it up so no one can have it. Then when they finally get it, they are killed within seconds because they suck.

That, or your team of 12 has 8 snipers, 5 of which are at the back of the map who will kill a combined 11 people during the entire game.

That happens on the PC, usually I leave the server if its all campers or vehicle tkers. Good servers that I play regularily have good players who actually complete the objectives.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #54
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Desert Combat still has the best helicopter physics of any Battlefield game. very difficult to master, but once you did you could turn the tide of a battle. i hate the helicopters in Bad Company 2 in comparison, in the main game you may stay in the air for a whole 10 seconds before getting tracer darted and blown out of the sky. and then on the flipside in BC2: Vietnam they are completely overpowered, anyone with half a brain and a joystick can completely dominate a map. the unguided stingers in Desert Combat were the perfect anti-air balance
Agreed. That game had many epic moments. I spent most of my time piloting the Blackhawks. I became pretty good at doing the quick touch-down to pick up/drop off players at the flag sites, then leave unscathed.

Spent a lot of time on empty servers and single player to practice the helicopters.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

If you find a server with good players who want the real experience.

More often or not now you find every man for himself where everyone runs for a plane or a tank and nobody wants to be infantry and work in squads.

I haven't played in a long time, but if you found good groups you would usually give people objectives to do certain tasks (you are a fighter pilot, you're a helicopter pilot and these guys are your gunners. You two are tank crewman, we need you guys to control artillary. The rest of you are infantry form squads and pick flag objectives.

Usually we would just execute people who would try to be berserkers.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #56
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I played, it was with a group of friends and the 5 of us would play in a friends living room, or at switchbox. Made it really easy to communicate as a squad. Occasionally you could find a server where you could get the same thing, but most of the time it was a bunch of ######s running around doing their own special things so often you were delegated to do the same.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #57
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find when you have a super organized team the other team gets slaughtered and they leave. Usually the good players will work together regardless if its structured or not.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #58
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Usually we would just execute people who would try to be berserkers.
Just like the good ole days, eh?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

With PC games, you can just keep going back to servers that are good. The game doesn't match-make you with random people who only play selfishly. You can just find a server you like with regulars that you know or join a clan. Admins and sometimes player control of server options to vote to kick certain players or enforce certain gameplay works too.

Having a server you return to everyday builds community and you get used to the regulars that show up and there is more teamwork and familiarity.

Player run servers mean also that specific rules are enforced and class limits can be enforced as well so you can't have the whole team choosing to be snipers, etc. Players that blow up vehicles, get banned, etc.

Most PC games have more players as well. BFBC2 and COD games was 32 players (versus 24 on Xbox) and BF2 and hopefully BF3 will be 64 players. With that many players, things just get more epic and balance issues can even out.

This is how it was in the past though (1995-2009). Lately, more and more PC games are turning into console ports sadly and not allowing the console or dedicated servers or custom player made maps and mods (MW2 anyone?) as lazy devs and greedy publishers make more money from the console model where they control the servers (make money from renting them out instead of allowing the player to host on their own machines) and sell you DLC map packs, etc. That also leads to rampant cheating as the player base cannot police itself. IE: In a player run server, if a guy is hacking, everybody can just vote to kick him out or the admin can ban the guy. In console style matchmaking, nobody has admin rights and hackers do whatever they want.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-07-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #60
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is how it was in the past though (1995-2009). Lately, more and more PC games are turning into console ports sadly and not allowing the console or dedicated servers or custom player made maps and mods (MW2 anyone?) as lazy devs and greedy publishers make more money from the console model where they control the servers (make money from renting them out instead of allowing the player to host on their own machines) and sell you DLC map packs, etc.
Can you really blame them for that? With PC sales in the dumps you are going to see less games even ported over to the PC.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote