Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 10:58 AM   #101
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Care to explain?

Or are you just crapping on the Devils?
Probably means how the devils are out of a playoff spot, reeling, and only have a pick to show for it after the lofty expectations this year. Ignores injuries but the logic tracks. Flames have a young player who looks to be a better long term fit and the devils have sadness for the postseason.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:59 AM   #102
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Care to explain?

Or are you just crapping on the Devils?
When the dust settles you'll see the Devils really made a mistake. Should have just kept Sharangovich and extended him.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:00 AM   #103
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Who's mocking Conroy? This trade completely justifies the Sharangovich trade (if it still needed any, which it doesn't)
People were mocking him for the Hanifin trade. It's clear though that the market is just not that great and Conroy anticipated that the trade deadline was a bad time to move most the Flames' players. He managed to get a lot of extra value, overall, handling things the way he did.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 11:00 AM   #104
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Suspect it will be Jets-Preds in the first round. Jets have 3 games in hand on the Stars and hold the tiebreaker.
As long as all the teams where ex-Flames have gone to strengthen them are in place to cut the Oilers down at the knees, all is well in the universe.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:07 AM   #105
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Predicting that Toffoli's 73 point season was the pinnacle for him and it was likely down from there was an easy prediction. Flames did well to capitalize by getting the same production in a much younger player with upside, a 3rd that turned into a meaningful prospect and getting his full cap off their books in the process.

In the end no one goes home unhappy, but Sharangovich is undeniably the crown jewel in it all. He resuscitated Huberdeau and is making a big difference for the team.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #106
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Congrats toffoli welcome back north to a good Jets team.
Southside403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #107
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liked this better for New Jersey when it was rumoured it was the Montreal 2nd...but Winnipeg could be bad next year too they tend to fluctuate a lot.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:39 AM   #108
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
That's not very charitable, Jiri.

I'm not that fixated on being right. I admit when I am wrong more than most around here. My perspective is actually that I think the Flames could or should be doing better and I am expressing disappointment when they fall short of my expectations. When the Flames are doing well or are living up to my expectations I am actually quite positive around here. I'm sure it goes unnoticed in a sea of rose colored glasses. But because the majority opinion around here appears to be that all Flames commentary should be strictly positive, I attract the ire of many when I call things the way I see them. If I think the Flames are getting short changed, I'm going to say so. Despite what some think, this is not an anti-Flames position.
That would be false though...Because you're not admitting you're wrong about Sharangovich's value and were too fixated on looking at values based on single seasons of performance.

After 21-22 season when Sharangovich had 24 goals and 46 points in 76 games and was 24 years old the Devils probably wouldn't have traded him straight up for Toffoli (who had 20 goals and 49 points in 74 games and was 30)

Then the next season Sharangovich has a down year (13 goals, 30 points) and Toffoli had a career year (34 goals, 73 points) and the value equation shifted...but only if you looked at it from that singular season perspective.

Sharangovich was 25 and coming off a down year...Toffoli was 31 and coming off a career year.

Conroy made a bet, that did have some risk to it, that Toffoli was coming off a career season, Sharangovich was better than that year showed (based on getting 40 goals and 76 points in his first 130 NHL games) and that he'd try to sell high and buy a bit low.

And it's worked.

Toffoli had a year more in line with his career averages (26 goals, 44 points in 61 games)

And Sharangovich has bounced back with 24 goals, 45 points, while also shifting over to play a much more valuable position at Center since the Lindholm trade.

The Flames didn't get a 2nd for Toffoli because they preferred a young player like Sharangovich, and the real problem is both at the time of the trade, and even still right now, you refuse to admit that Sharangovich was a valuable asset.

Sharangovich + 3rd >> 2nd + 3rd
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 11:59 AM   #109
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
When the dust settles you'll see the Devils really made a mistake. Should have just kept Sharangovich and extended him.
He wasn't performing and needed a change of scenery.

I didn't miss Yegor one bit this season. He needed top 6 minutes and he got that in Calgary, there was no way he was bumping anyone out of the top 6 in Jersey.

That's not a mistake.