Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #61
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Or who cares..... this thing is being made a bigger deal then necessary. Because it’s out of China there is a certain fear factor applied. This is not Ebola for crying out loud.
If you think Ebola is a pandemic concern for North America, you need to do more research on viruses or just listen to the experts.

“This isn’t Ebola”. Oh you mean the virus I have a less chance of getting than winning the lottery by being someone who isn’t a health care provider, in North America.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #62
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It will be interesting to see how it is handled here. Some of the Italian soccer games cancelled are much bigger events in terms of money/tv at stake than any NHL game would be. Why would they cancel and the NHL not?
I don't think they actually canceled games. Now, I'm not at all sure if I've understood it correctly, but...

Originally they were supposed to play some games in empty stadiums, but this got so much backlash from fans that the games were postponed instead. So essentially they got postponed because they were too big to not let the audience in.

This seems like an unlikely thing to happen for the NHL, as the NHL plays so many games per year that moving a whole portion of them around is likely not worth the effort or feasible.

Last edited by Itse; 03-03-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #63
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You're right Ebola killed 1 in 3 but it's transmitted via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids, Corona is transmitted like the flu but has a longer incubation period and a 200x fatality rate. Yeah, it's nothing to fear
20x fatality rate. Fatality rate from flu is .1%.

The thing is with this Virus we will do more to try to limit infection so you likely don’t have 10% of the pop getting it every year. That also means they will Cancel large events like NHL games which you wouldn’t for the Flu.

The other scary part of this is the percent of cases that need ICU care is about 10% at this point. Even assuming under diagnosis is a factor of 10 that would be 1% of cases needing the ICU which would very quickly overwhelm the system. Once you don’t have ICU beds the death rate goes up further.

Chinese and South Korean containment measures appear to be working.

So I would expect cancelation / empty stadium games. Given the severity of the outbreak in Washington I’d expect Vancouver to be the first NHL city hit with this decision.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #64
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1235700922430316544

I talked to my season ticket holder rep and he said a policy with tickets and coronavirus hasn't even been discussed internally. That sounds rediculous to me.

I skeptical side thinks that as soon as ticket renewal period is over, we'll hear about what might happen if this gets bad in the playoffs. Because the entire perk of access to playoff tickets might be a moot point this year if the games are played in empty stadiums
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #65
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1235700922430316544

I talked to my season ticket holder rep and he said a policy with tickets and coronavirus hasn't even been discussed internally. That sounds rediculous to me.

I skeptical side thinks that as soon as ticket renewal period is over, we'll hear about what might happen if this gets bad in the playoffs. Because the entire perk of access to playoff tickets might be a moot point this year if the games are played in empty stadiums
I imagine the NHL won't cancel games unless forced to by government. They won't want to refund money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:12 AM   #66
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The NBA is preparing contingency plans.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1236217029587279874
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #67
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
20x fatality rate. Fatality rate from flu is .1%.

The thing is with this Virus we will do more to try to limit infection so you likely don’t have 10% of the pop getting it every year. That also means they will Cancel large events like NHL games which you wouldn’t for the Flu.

The other scary part of this is the percent of cases that need ICU care is about 10% at this point. Even assuming under diagnosis is a factor of 10 that would be 1% of cases needing the ICU which would very quickly overwhelm the system. Once you don’t have ICU beds the death rate goes up further.

Chinese and South Korean containment measures appear to be working.

So I would expect cancelation / empty stadium games. Given the severity of the outbreak in Washington I’d expect Vancouver to be the first NHL city hit with this decision.
who do you report that you have the flu? How many people call their doctor when they throw up and run a fever for a couple of days? Does their Doctor track and report patients with the flu? Does it go on your medical record ?

Have you ever had the flu? Have you said you have the flu when you have a hangover or want to skip out of work for a few days.

How do they do these counts?

Last edited by ricardodw; 03-07-2020 at 07:43 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #68
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah this rate is made of a numerator and denominator. The numerator is quite clearly tracked since deaths is a fairly severe outcome. I’d not be surprised if the denominator is completely inaccurate here. It’s possible a million people have been exposed rather than 100k and that would make the rate a lot less scary.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #69
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Yeah this rate is made of a numerator and denominator. The numerator is quite clearly tracked since deaths is a fairly severe outcome. I’d not be surprised if the denominator is completely inaccurate here. It’s possible a million people have been exposed rather than 100k and that would make the rate a lot less scary.
Agreed

I hope they don't cancel games - coronavirus appears to be so blown out of proportion - I am probably more likely to die driving to the game

High risk people need to be responsible and take care of themselves (limit contact w/ ppl - washing hands etc etc)
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #70
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Agreed

I hope they don't cancel games - coronavirus appears to be so blown out of proportion - I am probably more likely to die driving to the game

High risk people need to be responsible and take care of themselves (limit contact w/ ppl - washing hands etc etc)
The point of all of this is to prevent an outbreak like they have in Italy and South Korea and then spread it to the higher risk people (although its not like just high risk people have died from this) who then spread it to more people. Its not because you - one guy on the internet - might catch it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #71
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The NCAA is making contingencies for March Madness to be played in empty stadiums...

March Madness Will Go On, but in a Worst Case, Without Mad Fans https://www.wsj.com/articles/march-m...ns-11583599569
Old 03-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #72
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Women's World Hockey Championship to be cancelled. Was going to be in Nova Scotia.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/iihf...irus-concerns/
Old 03-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #73
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Empty stadiums seems like the responsible thing to do at this point, internet doctors opinions aside.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #74
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I imagine the NHL won't cancel games unless forced to by government. They won't want to refund money.
Social distancing is going to be a major strategy in dealing with coronavirus. I would be appalled if governments didn't make this decision when community spread became obvious.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #75
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...irus-concerns/

NHL is closing locker rooms to media, all media interactions will take place via press conference due to coronavirus concerns.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #76
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...irus-concerns/

NHL is closing locker rooms to media, all media interactions will take place via press conference due to coronavirus concerns.

Probably a good plan. Spector strikes me as one of those guys who doesn't wash his hands.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #77
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol this is getting stupid.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #78
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The NBA is preparing contingency plans.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1236217029587279874
Lebron has said "if no fans I'm not playing" so could make for an interesting dynamic within the NBA.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...i-aint-playing
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #79
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Or maybe the fear factor is the virus is still pretty unknown, and it's infected 10's of thousands while killing thousands, and the spread hasn't been contained.
ebola is fairly easy to stop. this isn't.

are you just being willfully ignorant?

Shouldn't be too long before this hits and NHL city as it's now spreading in the states.
I can't see games being cancelled, but perhaps played in empty arenas if it his hard here.
I don't think rhino is being ignorant. I think the Coronavirus or COVID-19 is just a bit blown out of proportions by the media as another "Shock-and-Awe" to get the everyone all riled up and running with at least some fear or with some emotions. Although this virus is quite virulent and spreads fast, I don't think the majority of the populations in this world needs to push the panic button. As long as you're younger than 60 and don't have any respiratory or health concerns, if you get the virus, you'll live to get another strain of virus or some other flu virus. A bonus to catching a virus and living through it is that you'll be immune to the virus after your body recovers from the illness.

It's ridiculous for people to go out to Costco and buy out all the toilet papers and bottled water! Seriously, I actually saw people getting mostly those two things when I went to replenish my pop stash. Talk about people freaking out for nothing! My co-worker caught the H1N1 virus back in the day when the Bird Flu struck North America and he didn't even travel outside of Canada. Funny thing was, his wife didn't catch it. And he said it was just like catching the cold.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #80
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I don't think rhino is being ignorant. I think the Coronavirus or COVID-19 is just a bit blown out of proportions by the media as another "Shock-and-Awe" to get the everyone all riled up and running with at least some fear or with some emotions. Although this virus is quite virulent and spreads fast, I don't think the majority of the populations in this world needs to push the panic button. As long as you're younger than 60 and don't have any respiratory or health concerns, if you get the virus, you'll live to get another strain of virus or some other flu virus. A bonus to catching a virus and living through it is that you'll be immune to the virus after your body recovers from the illness.

It's ridiculous for people to go out to Costco and buy out all the toilet papers and bottled water! Seriously, I actually saw people getting mostly those two things when I went to replenish my pop stash. Talk about people freaking out for nothing! My co-worker caught the H1N1 virus back in the day when the Bird Flu struck North America and he didn't even travel outside of Canada. Funny thing was, his wife didn't catch it. And he said it was just like catching the cold.
I agree on the toilet paper and water stuff.

But any of restrictions are for the larger community as a whole. Not just for you who is at a low risk of serious illness or death. Yes you can get it and be fine, but then you give it to 5 other people and 2 of them are old or diabetic and don't survive.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post: