Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #201
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Ohio debating whether Cavaliers and Blue Jackets may go ahead with games.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1237453689645867013
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #202
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
https://theathletic.com/1665974/2020...-from-fiction/

Nice to see some completely level-headed comments from Tre and the Flames.
I'll take your word for it
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #203
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
An x-factor is if it starts to go through a team. I'm not sure how that would be handled.
If I've understood correctly, it currently takes about 24 hours to test for COVID-19. Possibly less in a private clinic.

So at least theoretically a team could identify and isolate the cases, drown everything in disinfectant and keep playing, with possibly a game postponed. With all the events being canceled, re-scheduling shouldn't be much of an issue.

Of course I'm not at all sure if that's realistic. Actual professionals such as health officials might have differing opinions.

It's actually a decent reason to shorten the season. The less games you play, the smaller the odds of corona making a mess of things.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #204
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Ohio debating whether Cavaliers and Blue Jackets may go ahead with games.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1237453689645867013
I’m no expert but special air filtration sounds like homers special virus stopping rock.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #205
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm sure they have special air filtration systems. I just don't know why they think that will matter for a disease transmitted via close contact. The filters are nowhere near the people.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #206
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

No fans in arena? Return of the Red Mile!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #207
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
No fans in arena? Return of the Red Mile!
your not serious are you?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #208
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
There is so much more to consider than simply inferring that because it went nuts in Italy, it is going to do the same here. Actively suggesting the crap is about to hit the fan in the US and Canada is pretty much how we end up with empty aisles of TP and bottled water. Relax.

Many countries also showed cases days, if not weeks ago and they have not blown up either. It could happen, but it is not right to act like it is a foregone conclusion. In the meantime wash your hands and go about your business.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9j8HO8D..._web_copy_link
Italians.... it's all the hugging and kissing.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #209
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Italians.... it's all the hugging and kissing.
That country has hundreds dead and is on the verge of their medical services completely collapsing altogether, but sure, let's make stereotypical comments while blaming their culture.

####ing stupid comment.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #210
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
You're going to need an Italian-style lockdown to prevent fans from getting together in large groups even if you decide to play games in empty stadiums/arenas.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1237455747677655040
I would expect that if that is happening, they will cancel the games outright.
Those fans think they are winning in their defiance, but everyone is likely to lose because of it.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #211
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
That country has hundreds dead and is on the verge of their medical services completely collapsing altogether, but sure, let's make stereotypical comments while blaming their culture.

####ing stupid comment.
They literally banned hugging and kissing. It’s a real issue in Italy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #212
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

it feels inevitable that large events will need to be postponed/cancelled for a period of time... and I assume that the longer we take to act, the longer we wait to get back to normal.

But no matter how you feel about the mortality rate, this is obviously spreading incredibly fast and we're still learning about it. To date, the only effective way to stop the virus from spreading is to keep us away from each other until people who have it are no longer infectious... and unfortunately we can't watch sports for a bit. It's going to suck, but it's weird that this seems over-the-top when you watch countries more heavily affected by it.

I agree that the media is blasting this like it's a zombie outbreak... but it seems pretty clear that if someone with COVID-19 coughs at a Flames game... you have a good chance of leaving the arena infected.

I think this takes priority over hockey games because...
- Being sick sucks
- A whole area of people being sick must suck for the economy, right?
- It does kill people
- It's spreading faster than you can write anything about how little we should care about it
- It really kills old people
- It makes tons of sense that people gathering by the thousands would be a really easy way to infect an entire city in a week

We'll, unfortunately, wait for the story of some Pats fan that insisted he go to a game then visited his Grandma after. It'll seem pretty damn silly that we're prioritizing entertainment over what scientists all over the world are saying

TL;DR, here's Neal deGrasse Tyson
"I think we're in a massive experiment worldwide: Will people listen to scientists?"

"Maybe if we just listened to scientists, the Coronavirus would just blow on by with a minimum of cases. We kicked its ass for obeying the recommendations of scientists"

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #213
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

####ing stupid comment.
It's kind of how this thing is spread no? The comment was pretty valid
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #214
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^could also be that they have one if the world’s oldest populations, I believe only Japan is older. I think your jumping to conclusions. I think it’s good to avoid rumours as well, there was a comment back there about someone hearing from a health contact who said that AHS is hiding cases. Why would they do that? There may be a pile of tests out there but it’s not a case until it’s confirmed.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #215
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
They literally banned hugging and kissing. It’s a real issue in Italy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
And would either of you make the comment she made to a person of Italian background whose family was affected or suffering in some way from COVID-19?
Old 03-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #216
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Nah, this thing is spread by being close to someone with it...
Is Italy also the country that was trying to keep people 3' apart or something?

Edit: CDC recommendation was 6'

"Specifically, the CDC defines close contact as "being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of a COVID-19 case for a prolonged period of time." "
https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...part-2020?op=1

Last edited by Split98; 03-10-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #217
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And would either of you make the comment she made to a person of Italian background whose family was affected or suffering in some way from COVID-19?
Yikes - I know what you're getting at but I think we can take it down a few notches, no?
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #218
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Nah, this thing is spread by being close to someone with it...

Is Italy also the country that was trying to keep people 3' apart or something?
Being kissed by someone carrying covid is definitely going to increase risk of transmission over say a fist bump or a hello wave.

To say that Italian's cultural greeting method likely contributed to the spread of coronavirus is a pretty fair statement to make.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #219
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think "public gatherings becoming impossible" is a certainty. The effects of the virus have been relatively minimal in places like South East Asia, Japan and Australia with some incredibly large populations to consider and the virus has been known to be present for several weeks now.

The next 10 days in the Americas may paint a different picture entirely, but there is evidence to suggest it may not turn into the same situation here as it has in Italy, China, Iran. Everyone needs to calm down and stop assuming the worst until we see more signs indicating this is going to spiral out of control here.
I completely agree, and didn't intend it as a certain prediction, but rather a possible scenario.

It seems very likely that things are going to get 'worse' over the next week or two in North America, but exactly how much worse, exactly where, and exactly when it will start to get better.

Without diving too deep into things, it is also worth noting that because most of the biggest market teams are out of contention, there aren't likely to be very many higher risk teamsin the NHL playoffs. Pretty sure VAN, BOS, and TOR are the only teams in states/provinces with more than 30 cases at present. PHI and WAS also seem to have more potential risk, but the rest of the teams are in relatively 'smaller' cities that are more geographically isolated and not big hubs for int'l travel.

I think it's very possible that only a few cities/regions get shutdown/overwhelmed, but the degree to which business continues 'as usual' every else would be another question altogether. If/when it happens in one NA city, will there still be an appetite for large gatherings elsewhere?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #220
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Being kissed by someone carrying covid is definitely going to increase risk of transmission over say a fist bump or a hello wave.

To say that Italian's cultural greeting method likely contributed to the spread of coronavirus is a pretty fair statement to make.
Shoot, sorry yeah I don't know why I phrased it like I'm disagreeing just that you don't need to hug and kiss to get it