Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #621
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You think wearing a dress from a culture that doesn't match your skin colour is evidence of racism, which is a product of your particular ideology. Even the language you use - "appropriating elements from a culture (traditional Chinese dress), a privilege born from systemic racism/colonialism" - is tied directly to this ideology. It carries with it implicit assumptions about what counts as racism, what's acceptable and unacceptable for white, african american, asian, and other identity groups, and what sorts of behaviours people should be morally concerned about. All of which would be rejected by anyone who doesn't subscribe to identitarian views like the ones you subscribe to. That is why people ascribe the ideology to you - you routinely talk the talk. Fine, you believe what you believe, just don't act so shocked when people make that connection.
That’s an awful lot of time you’ve attempted to spend in my head. Be prepared to be ejected onto a New Jersey turnpike.

I’m sure not what specifically ideology I adhere to, but I’m, again, literally pointing out the connections people make in these cases. The reason being, as I again, explained, was to give Ashasx reasoning so that he understood that the reason people “throw around” a term like “racism,” isn’t without evidence, it just may not be especially GOOD evidence (which in this case, I pointed to that being true).

Just... stop. You’re flailing into some argument that I’m not even sure you know the reason for entering. Yadda yadda. Tribes. Ideology. Indentarian, etc etc etc. I’ve got all your albums, I don’t need the greatest hits. I get the schtick.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #622
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is you that needs to stop.

"I know it wasn't racism, but calling it racism was totally fine because 'evidence'"

Sometimes you have to pick which hill you want to die on. And this ain't much of a hill.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #623
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes talking about modern phenomena on this forum is like trying to walk an elderly coworker through logging into new software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #624
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

apparently CHL has a schtick but you guys think it's patently valid to believe that wearing a dress is an indication of systemic racism.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #625
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
terms like racism are used based on evidence that may, in the end, not actually support that conclusion.

Me? I think she was fine to where the dress. I liked her reasoning for it and she stood behind it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No. It is only appropriate to call someone racist if they were, in fact, being racist.
Quote:
I agree... What you can’t do is call someone a racist who exhibits behaviour that could be construed as racist, without an opportunity to explain before any such accusation is made.
Quote:
I was just explaining the thought of individuals who use it as a jumping off point to make the racism claim. I barely GAF about cultural appropriation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
"I know it wasn't racism, but calling it racism was totally fine because 'evidence'"
Thanks for following along, I guess.

I missed the part where I applauded their mindset and said “sure, there’s evidence, so you can totally just call anyone racist if there is,” because I’m positive i’ve said the opposite multiple times.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #626
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
apparently CHL has a schtick but you guys think it's patently valid to believe that wearing a dress is an indication of systemic racism.
It’s not valid, it’s just a thing some people think.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #627
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

You know what's actually racist? Saying that what you can wear, eat, cook, listen to, sing, produce, watch, love, or look like should be restricted by where you're from. Those who hold the notion that cultural appropriation is racim have it backwards, and cultural exclusivity directly conflicts with the principles of liberalism.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #628
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of think if you can't understand why marginalized people might feel offended by certain forms of cultural appropriation, you might be lacking historical context and/or some basic empathy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #629
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Clearly this 17 year old girl in Utah is complicit in the Chinese head tax of the early 1900s.

Do you guys actually believe this dogmatic crap or are you just trying to look enlightened? Marginalized? Chinese people earn more than even your favourite boogeymen, the beneficiaries of all the rampant systemic racism that supposedly exists, white men. Cultural appropriation is the dumbest issue that's ever been conjured up, better tell everyone who's non white to stop wearing suits and ties.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #630
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jordan Peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I kind of think if you can't understand why marginalized people might feel offended by certain forms of cultural appropriation, you might be lacking historical context and/or some basic empathy.

I can understand why marginalized people can be offended by costumes that are, prima facie, rascist (like cartoons of the culture meant to demean). I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would be offended by a girl wearing a dress from another culture to her prom because she thinks it's beautiful.

If you are offended by this you have the most ridiculous victim complex of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 AM   #631
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Clearly this 17 year old girl in Utah is complicit in the Chinese head tax of the early 1900s.

Do you guys actually believe this dogmatic crap or are you just trying to look enlightened? Marginalized? Chinese people earn more than even your favourite boogeymen, the beneficiaries of all the rampant systemic racism that supposedly exists, white men. Cultural appropriation is the dumbest issue that's ever been conjured up, better tell everyone who's non white to stop wearing suits and ties.
Do I really have to spell out that I was making a generalized statement about cultural appropriation and not speaking to this specific example?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #632
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post

Agreed.

But honestly, not sure how many times cultural appropriation can be explained and that explanation then get used as some evidence as full, 100% validation and support of it’s usage. You guys are being kind of ridiculously triggered here.

If people explain the reason someone murdered someone, nobody jumps down their throat and says “How dare you justify that murder! You’re supporting murder? You are ridiculous!”

No, instead people just nod along, realising that explaining the motive of the murderer is not, actually, the same as justifying it. And we all agree that their motive is bad, because despite however it may sound, the end result was bad and unecessary.

Considering there hasn’t been a single comment negative comment suggesting the girl in the dress was wrong, or that it was even a GOOD, justifiable example of cultural appropriation, then you guys are unecessarily triggered. Again, nothing wrong with what the girl was doing, and pointing out the dots other people connect is not the same as supporting that connection.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 05-04-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 AM   #633
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did I even weigh in on this? Y'all speak to the royal "you" but I haven't even made my feelings known.

Weird forum.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #634
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
When did I even weigh in on this? Y'all speak to the royal "you" but I haven't even made my feelings known.

Weird forum.
You posted a video about cultural appropriation. Thus it is assumed:

- you are aware of cultural appropriation
- you believe in the validation of cultural appropriation
- you believe every example of cultural appropriation is valid
- you are extremely upset over the girl’s prom dress
- you believe white people are the boogeyman
- you want the girl punished for her actions
- you believe the girl is racist
- you want the girl punished for those actions as well
- you are part of a identarian, leftists, Marxist, regressive leftists tribe that wants to take down innocent girls with your dogma
- you are actually the racist, because mentioning cultural appropriation with the 100% support that you’ve shown by posting a video is actually racist against whites

...or something along those lines
Old 05-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #635
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Are we actually arguing semantics over a definition that everybody agrees upon? That's what it seems like. "Here's a thing, that some call *the* thing, but isn't actually the thing, so yeah, things still exist."
Old 05-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #636
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think most cries of cultural appropriation are garbage, from the prom dress to hand wringing about gross white dreads, or people mad about fusion dining (lol).

There's a pretty clear line between actual racist behaviour and passive appropriation, but I also think there's a valid conversation to be had about where that line is and how much it's shifted in the last 30 years. That said, I don't really get to decice how other cultures may feel about what they see as appropriation, and i definitely feel like oppressor/oppressed situations are a bit more egregious.

It's a shame that the posters on this forum are more interested on scoring cheap likes and virtue signaling to one another rather than acknowledging the conversation.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-04-2018 at 07:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #637
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Weird forum.
+1 to victim status!
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #638
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Happy Cinco De Mayo everybody! Let’s all get drunk and eat burritos while we celebrate Mexican independence! Of course, none of those things have anything to do with the actual holiday.

That’s real cultural appropriation. It’s now more of an American celebration with little though given to authenticity. It’s not that non-Mexicans shouldn’t participate. Go for it, just leave the sombrero at home and have a little respect for the culture.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #639
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

You got the wrong day bud.

May the 4th be with you.

/Nerd sub-culture appropriation.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #640
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still a loud to get blackout dunk on tequila today though, right? Or is that racist now too?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: