Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #921
Flamenspiel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Neal for Lucic and 8th would be one of the most lopsided trade wins in Flames history. Even Neal and 26 for Lucic and 8 has zero chance of being accepted by Ken Holland

Neal didnít have a bad season. He had the worst season. Literally. Relative to expectations and salary no one has done worse. He put up sub 20 points with top 6 minutes on the second best offensive team in the league.
I donít think you understand just how bad the Lucic contract is:

1. Itís buyout proof as you only save a small amount per year. Most of it is a bonus

2. They have to protect him for the expansion draft next summer because it has an NMC

3. The NMC would have to be kept(lucic whould be unlikely to waive)by the receiving team making him impossible to move again.

None of this applies to Neal, other then the fact that he is overpaid he is fairly easy to move or buy out.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #922
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Not that I put much stock in Eklund, but what else would we be looking at from the Rangers? Maybe Zibanejad?
Something around Monahan + for Krieder/Zibanejad?
I don't think the Rangers would trade Zibanejad for Monahan unless that "+" was something really big. He can put up similar points, but plays a more complete game. I guess it's possible that the Rangers see Z as overachieving.

Kreider is a nice player and very consistent, but it would be a waste to have him behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the LW. Unless the blockbuster involves moving one of them.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #923
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I donít think you understand just how bad the Lucic contract is:

1. Itís buyout proof as you only save a small amount per year. Most of it is a bonus

2. They have to protect him for the expansion draft next summer because it has an NMC

3. The NMC would have to be kept(lucic whould be unlikely to waive)by the receiving team making him impossible to move again.

None of this applies to Neal, other then the fact that he is overpaid he is fairly easy to move or buy out.
Exactly.

And for as much as Neal under-performed, if I had to pick one of Lucic or Neal to bounce back next season, my money would be on Neal.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #924
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't think the Rangers would trade Zibanejad for Monahan unless that "+" was something really big. He can put up similar points, but plays a more complete game. I guess it's possible that the Rangers see Z as overachieving.

Kreider is a nice player and very consistent, but it would be a waste to have him behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the LW. Unless the blockbuster involves moving one of them.
I'm guessing they would probably try to move Chucky to the right side if they brought Krieder in and didn't move Johnny or Chucky.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #925
neo45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I don’t think you understand just how bad the Lucic contract is:

1. It’s buyout proof as you only save a small amount per year. Most of it is a bonus

No I fully understand how Lucic’s contract works, and I didn’t post a trade proposal (never have).

But people were declining Lucic and 8th overall for Neal. Even for this place that is bad. That level of homerism can’t just go unchecked
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #926
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No I fully understand how Lucicís contract works, and I didnít post a trade proposal (never have).

But people were declining Lucic and 8th overall for Neal. Even for this place that is bad. That level of homerism canít just go unchecked
It might be worth it for teams with lots of cap space, but for a team like the Flames, there would be a huge opportunity cost in the near future just to have Lucic. Who else would we lose, or not be able to sign, in order to have that buyout proof contract on the books?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #927
JTech780
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kreider and Gaudreau played together at the World Championships, and I believe they tried both at RW.

Kreider is big, fast, physical and he scores goals, the only thing missing is he isn't a RHS.

Kreider and Buchnevich for Brodie and Jankowski.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #928
Royle9
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Kreider and Gaudreau played together at the World Championships, and I believe they tried both at RW.

Kreider is big, fast, physical and he scores goals, the only thing missing is he isn't a RHS.

Kreider and Buchnevich for Brodie and Jankowski.
I mean, I like that scenario but when one uses the word "blockbuster" I'm assuming bigger names are being rumored to move on both sides.

Not sure Brodie & Janko constitute a "blockbuster" tag unfortunately.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #929
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
No I fully understand how Lucic’s contract works, and I didn’t post a trade proposal (never have).

But people were declining Lucic and 8th overall for Neal. Even for this place that is bad. That level of homerism can’t just go unchecked
Is picking up Lucic to add another Bennett (4th) worth it in your opinion?

You’re talking about 8th overall like we’re going to draft Sidney Crosby or something. How does an 8th overall pick help us in the next two seasons?

It’s the stupidest proposal I’ve read in a long time.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #930
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the Oilers really overpay, there is no way I want Lucic on the Flames. The advantage of Neal's contract is he doesn't have an NMC, which means he doesn't need to be protected in the 2021 expansion draft. Lucic does, which means Flames would be exposing another good young player just to protect that boat anchor of a contract.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #931
neo45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Is picking up Lucic to add another Bennett (4th) worth it in your opinion?

Youíre talking about 8th overall like weíre going to draft Sidney Crosby or something. How does an 8th overall pick help us in the next two seasons?

Itís the stupidest proposal Iíve read in a long time.
This post is a lot worse than that proposal 😂
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #932
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post

JT Miller was Gaudreau's centre that year at the WJC and he's also likely available for a good prospect or high pick as Tampa needs to clear cap space. Miller is a good player too, fast, skilled, and has good size. His production dropped in Tampa behind all that talent, but he's probably a 70 point centremen with Gaudreau or Tkachuk.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #933
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kreider played with Gaudreau one year at Boston College. Not sure if they played on the same line but they were teammates.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #934
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adding Kreider and Miller/Johnson to our top six would be huge.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #935
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Kreider is the exact type of player I want on the Flames. Not sure about his LW position, but as mentioned it sounds like he's played RW as well.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #936
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kreider has a Modified NTC with 11 team list.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #937
JTech780
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
JT Miller was Gaudreau's centre that year at the WJC and he's also likely available for a good prospect or high pick as Tampa needs to clear cap space. Miller is a good player too, fast, skilled, and has good size. His production dropped in Tampa behind all that talent, but he's probably a 70 point centremen with Gaudreau or Tkachuk.
Kreider and Gaudreau played on a line at this year's World Championships.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #938
MrMike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Kreider has a Modified NTC with 11 team list.
He's be crazy not to waive to play on Johnnys line
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #939
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
He's be crazy not to waive to play on Johnnys line
Well Kevin Hayes could have signed here out of College as a free agent to play with his buddy Gaudreau and didn't.

I don't think playing with Gaudreau is really that big a draw. Players move so often, no one should be planning their future based on where another player is. Things can change so fast.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #940
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This post is a lot worse than that proposal ��
No, yours is. Lucic would be an absolute anchor and the 8th does nothing at all for a team whose window is now. Neal has a legit chance to rebound next year, Lucic is done and a cap anchor. BT would have to be a complete idiot to trade Neal for Lucic and the 8th overall pick which is not guaranteed to be anything special nor in a position to do anything for the team right now.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: