Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #881
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look at the players rumored to be maybe moved for Neal (all speculation)
Lucic, Erickson, Backes, Okposo, Ladd, Turris all of these players with the exception of Turris have been 3 year disappointments on their current teams. I think there is a better chance Neal bounces back vs any of those players. Turris is the only player on that list that I am interested in.

If the return is Lucic I would also want a pic swap in the deal (we get 8, Oilers get 26) and Lucic would have to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. Even then I think the deal has a ton of risk
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #882
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If you look at the players rumored to be maybe moved for Neal (all speculation)
Lucic, Erickson, Backes, Okposo, Ladd, Turris all of these players with the exception of Turris have been 3 year disappointments on their current teams. I think there is a better chance Neal bounces back vs any of those players. Turris is the only player on that list that I am interested in.

If the return is Lucic I would also want a pic swap in the deal (we get 8, Oilers get 26) and Lucic would have to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. Even then I think the deal has a ton of risk
Iíd do that to swap Neal for Lucic.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #883
Rando
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd take the 8th back if we can make the cap hit work, wouldn't swap picks.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #884
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

To Oilers
Neal
Stone
26th Overall

To Flames
Lucic
Puljujarvi
8th Overall
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #885
Monahammer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
To Oilers
Neal
Stone
26th Overall

To Flames
Lucic
Puljujarvi
8th Overall
I would do this one, but only with a full nmc waive by lucic. I think Oilers fans would revolt though
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #886
JTech780
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So we would be taking Lucic and paying him $6m to play on our 4th line?

We already have too many LW's and not enough places for them to play, Lucic would end up blocking a spot for one of the younger guys.

I also don't see Edmonton giving up a sweeter like the 8th overall or Puljujarvi and taking Neal to get rid of Lucic
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #887
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell?
No, no, no to Lucic
Neal is way more likely to come back as a useful player. Lucic has a toxic contract, do not want.

You guys are getting cabin fever, watch the Raps game.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #888
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
What the hell?
No, no, no to Lucic
Neal is way more likely to come back as a useful player. Lucic has a toxic contract, do not want.

You guys are getting cabin fever, watch the Raps game.
Nobody "wants" we are talking about getting a top 10 draft pick for taking him
Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #889
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Lol way too many people getting worked up about a draft 2 years from now. It's not like it would cost us gaudreau Monahan tkachuk lindholm Bennett or backlund. I'm sure 2 years from now you could look at a a buyout if you have 7 or more forwards to protect or ask lucic to waive for draft knowing he won't get picked.
A buyout saves you nothing in cap space, you probably lose cap when you consider his replacement cost. You only mentioned forwards, which defencemen are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Nobody "wants" we are talking about getting a top 10 draft pick for taking him
Magic beans, we might draft a great player but we are guaranteed a caveman boat anchor with a buyout proof contract and a full NMC.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #890
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If the Oilers package the 8th OA pick with Lucic, then they probably aren't taking a bad contract back.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #891
goflamesgo18
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If the Oilers package the 8th OA pick with Lucic, then they probably aren't taking a bad contract back.
And they also arent getting anything of value back. What a ####ty position to be in.
goflamesgo18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #892
Macho0978
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
A buyout saves you nothing in cap space, you probably lose cap when you consider his replacement cost. You only mentioned forwards, which defencemen are you willing to sacrifice?

Magic beans, we might draft a great player but we are guaranteed a caveman boat anchor with a buyout proof contract and a full NMC.
Explain how taking lucic effects who we protect on d?

Buyout saves nothing on cap but if by some miracle we have 7 forwards so good that you cant lose in expansion draft then buy him out to gain spot. But I bet he waive his nmc for expansion draft knowing he would not get picked. Like I said too many getting worked up over draft 2 years from now.

Trade a pick 2 years from now to ditch him

If guys like dube janko go in expansion draft then 8th overall is nice replacement

If guys like dube too good to lose leave Bennett open. If he to good to lose to flames probably winning the cup. Too hard to not make good moves because of draft 2 years from now. I trust Brad figures it out by then
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #893
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

To the Oilers: Mark Giordano.

To the Flames: Seven defensemen.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #894
DazzlinDino
First Line Centre

Exp:

What happened to the talk about not trading with losing teams yet all this talk about trading with Vancouver and Edmonton? Calgary finished 2nd overall so we are not in the same situation as those teams. Lets not help Edmonton and Vancouver; Calgary is improving and going in ideal direction.

Do we really need Edmonton's 8th, or do we need to find a decent top 6 RW? The primary goal is going further in the playoffs so why are we so focused on Edmonton's 8th?

Lets assume we make a trade, Edmonton gets Neal he has a good season and they trade him; Suddenly they have some cap relief and start putting some pieces together! We are stuck Lucic! Come on, we can do better than that! We have the future assets to trade for top 10 drafter picks, there is no need to go after Edmonton's.

The risk of trading with Vancouver and Edmonton is that in doing so we might actually impede ourselves while helping our rival. I think we should just keep looking forward and let them figure out their own problem.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #895
gvitaly
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Regarding Lucicís NMC -
The team he is traded to doesnít have to honour the NMC. Usually it is discussed with the player before he gives his consent to the move. That essentially solves all the draft implications, but I still donít want Lucic in a Flames jersey.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #896
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord. If the Flames get Lucic I won't watch a single game all of next season.
Why are we even taling about this?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #897
DazzlinDino
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Regarding Lucicís NMC -
The team he is traded to doesnít have to honour the NMC. Usually it is discussed with the player before he gives his consent to the move. That essentially solves all the draft implications, but I still donít want Lucic in a Flames jersey.

That may be true, but then what? Which team is going to trade for him just so they can send him down to the AHL? Even on the Flames he would be redundant, he is not fast enough to keep up, and as we found out during the playoffs we need more speed. We can't put him out at the same time as Johnny for extra toughness. To top it off, he is part of the oilers losing culture; his care meter has been shattered and broken. Even without the NMC he wouldn't be a good fit. No other team would trade for him and he would likely be an bigger risk during the playoffs. I think acquiring Lucic would really benefit the oilers since the 8th likely couldn't play right away and there is no guarantees that player pans out.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:11 AM   #898
gvitaly
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
That may be true, but then what? Which team is going to trade for him just so they can send him down to the AHL? Even on the Flames he would be redundant, he is not fast enough to keep up, and as we found out during the playoffs we need more speed. We can't put him out at the same time as Johnny for extra toughness. To top it off, he is part of the oilers losing culture; his care meter has been shattered and broken. Even without the NMC he wouldn't be a good fit. No other team would trade for him and he would likely be an bigger risk during the playoffs. I think acquiring Lucic would really benefit the oilers since the 8th likely couldn't play right away and there is no guarantees that player pans out.
I pointed it out because some of the discussion was about having to protect Lucic in an expansion draft. I doubt someone picks him up just to play him in the AHL. I also mentioned that I don't want to see him on the Flames, so I get where you are coming from.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #899
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Nashville would seriously look at a Turris for Neal swap I’d be interested (though surprised if they would do that). Other than that I’d rather keep Neal and hope last year was an outlier than trade him for Lucic or Eriksson or whatever other junk we’d get for him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #900
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
If Nashville would seriously look at a Turris for Neal swap I’d be interested (though surprised if they would do that). Other than that I’d rather keep Neal and hope last year was an outlier than trade him for Lucic or Eriksson or whatever other junk we’d get for him.
I would consider Turris as you could argue he could immediately slot in front of Backlund as the 2nd line center but it's hard to ignore the long term implications as by the last year or two of both Turris and Backlunds deals the team will likely be investing close to $12 million in what's likely to be their 3rd and 4th line centers. This is a fan base with plenty of fans that couldn't stomach playing Stajan $4 million close to his mid-30's so how about $5.3 and $6 million for your bottom 6 centers? I think I would rather give Neal a 2nd season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: