Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bob McCown out at Fan 590

Not sure which side you were on, the love him or hate him side, but no doubt he has been an icon of Sports radio for a lot of years.
I enjoyed his banter, he is one of a kind and Im sure will wind up on another station somewhere.
Now, was he fired or did he walk? Seems like the latter.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/sports...sports-friday/

TORONTO — Longtime sports talk radio host Bob McCown will leave his position as host of Prime Time Sports on Friday, Sportsnet said in a release.
McCown has hosted the show, which airs on Sportsnet 590 The Fan AM in Toronto and nationally on television on Sportsnet 360, since its inception in 1989.
McCown was not quoted in the release and details on his future plans were not available. However, he tweeted that speculation concerning his retirement is "100% inaccurate."
"Okay…I am leaving Prime Time Sports and Rogers," he said on Twitter. "But nobody can shut me up when I still have things to say. Stay tuned. I’ll be back!"
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m very disappointed to see him leave. I gather it’s a lay-off due to slumping numbers at Sportsnet. Allegedly, Doug Maclean’s contract won’t be renegotiated when it expires right away and there’s others who will also be let go at the appropriate time.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's kind of a blowhard but surprising to see RSN let him go as he's been a mainstay in the Toronto market. Still not even halfway into that NHL deal and now the Blue Jays are back to basement dwelling this is probably not good times for RSN but it's their mess.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's kind of a blowhard but surprising to see RSN let him go as he's been a mainstay in the Toronto market. Still not even halfway into that NHL deal and now the Blue Jays are back to basement dwelling this is probably not good times for RSN but it's their mess.
Yep I couldn't agree more. This is all self-inflicted IMO. They have a lot of resources but continually hire the wrong personalities, production value is low, and the product is sub par. Nevermind the philosophy of owning the broadcasting rights to the Jays, which are a team you also happen to own and then choosing to put a purposefully bad team on the field. Doesn't strike me as a genius move.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't listen to McCown anymore, but he's definitely an icon. I'm sure it's a voluntary layoff if anything, so I'm curious if he'll spill the beans as he may be contractually obligated to keep a tight lid. I did find he was well thought out despite being brash. Now you have Tim and Sid on the same network doing the banter thing, with Sid trying the same shtick, but less naturally, more forced, and more visible. So McCown has basically lost his novelty and doesn't have a sidekick. It's too bad when icons just disappear. I'm sure he'll go the podcast route.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #6
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait until Sportsnet is forced to sell some of their NHL games back to a real network like TSN. Go Jays Go Down!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dang. I enjoyed listening to him. He is a smart and well spoken guy. Definitely has polar opinions but did a great job in presenting and articulating his thoughts.

I would listen to a podcast if he goes that route.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post: