Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #2161
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The people that buy Bugatti Veyron's are the exact people that would pay $1k for a monitor stand. How many regular posters at CP do you think are going to spring for one of these? I could purchase an exotic car if I really wanted bad enough but realistically it's something I shouldn't really do as it's a luxury purchase for the wealthy.

My guess is these aren't intended for the typical home user who is just doing 80% web browsing.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #2162
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

ECG is now available in Canada with the latest WatchOS update.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #2163
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone see the Apple maps car out and about? Saw it in High River Sunday afternoon. Imagine it's making its way around Calgary, or already has. Would be nice if that app was anyway close to usable.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #2164
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know about Apple Maps is the food trucks switched to it, and it is the most unusable piece of garbage interface I could imagine. Next to Dropbox, of course.

https://streetfoodapp.com/calgary/map
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #2165
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Anyone see the Apple maps car out and about? Saw it in High River Sunday afternoon. Imagine it's making its way around Calgary, or already has. Would be nice if that app was anyway close to usable.
I've seen it around. The "Look Around" feature is supposed to be a smoother version of Street View. I doubt it'll be enough to get people to switch. Google Maps is unbeatable especially now that they have Waze notifications (not that I need them ).
Old 08-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #2166
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really enjoying the new iOS 13. Dark mode is awesome and swipe typing works flawless with added bonus of not sending your entries to the cloud like 3rd party keyboards

Feels a bit more snappy too
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #2167
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Really enjoying the new iOS 13. Dark mode is awesome and swipe typing works flawless with added bonus of not sending your entries to the cloud like 3rd party keyboards

Feels a bit more snappy too
I like most features, the photos app is amazing now. However swipe needs to stop correcting “and” to “abs”. That’s driving me nuts.

Try shifting the keyboard to one handed mode and using swipe. So good
Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #2168
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPhone 8 here, I've been on iOS 13 since the first public beta and I've been pretty happy with it save for a few annoyances:
- Springboard randomly crashes and restarts when going into search or widget screens
- TD's app won't even log-in, just crashes to home
- RBC's app works but using Touch ID gives an error; workaround is to save your password and use Touch ID to auto-fill it for you. It's an extra step but it works.
- Some APIs have been changed or renamed, which caused a few apps (BaconReader for Reddit, as an example) to fail to launch until they were updated. The stock Reddit app is crap by comparison.

But otherwise, I'm happy with it. Dark mode rocks, it's quicker overall, battery life is better -- save for early betas where enabling Optimized Battery Charging actually managed to drain the battery faster during normal operation.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #2169
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Does anyone know the quality comparison between Apple Music vs buying the album from iTunes? Like, let’s say I download an album from Apple Music and then let’s say I buy the same album from iTunes and download it too... what’s the quality comparison there?

Don’t fight me, but I’m trying to decide if the Apple Music versions of all the Tool albums are the best it gets from Apple, or if buying the “digitally mastered” albums from iTunes is better.

I’m literally looking for top quality here, so “I play all my stuff on a toaster and it sounds the same” isn’t going to help.

There’s also the Tidal option, but I can’t seem to find confirmation that they have the Tool albums at the higher bitrate or not. I don’t want to pay $20 to subscribe only to find out they just have the lower versions of the stuff I listen to.

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-12-2019 at 01:23 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #2170
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you already own the CD's you can rip them yourself at whatever quality you want.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #2171
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Does anyone know the quality comparison between Apple Music vs buying the album from iTunes? Like, let’s say I download an album from Apple Music and then let’s say I buy the same album from iTunes and download it too... what’s the quality comparison there?
Apple Music streams at the same quality as purchased music. It’s 256kbps AAC, which is probably good enough for most people.

Tool’s albums are lossless on Tidal. They have a free trial to see for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #2172
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Tool’s albums are lossless on Tidal. They have a free trial to see for yourself.
That's awesome to hear! Now I can sub again... I burned through my trial when it first launched and didn't renew.

Update: Sweet! I used a copy of my SAIT transcripts from a course I finished a few months ago to get the student price. I'm got the Hi-Res plan for $9.99!

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-12-2019 at 11:45 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #2173
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just picked up the latest Ipad Air, upgraded from a first gen Ipad Air. Huge difference in performance.

Anyone have any experience with the Apple keyboard case? It pretty pricey but it seems like it could be the best options for me. Looking for something that easily detaches from the ipad itself and is pretty thin in form factor. Are the keys any good to type on?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #2174
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you already own the CD's you can rip them yourself at whatever quality you want.
I think the catch here is how many people actually still own computers / laptops with optical media drives in them?

More and more PCs are being sold as All-In-Ones that don't include media drives unless you order them (if it's even offered in that model). My current desktop workstation (built in 2016) didn't even get an optical drive until late-2018, and that's because I wanted a Blu-ray writer.

I've used it for precisely zero Blu-ray discs, and four DVDs. None of my mobile PCs (Surface 3 LTE, Surface Pro, work HP EliteBook) have an optical drive. If I need to use them with DVD media, I have an old Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive I can plug into them for it.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #2175
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I think the catch here is how many people actually still own computers / laptops with optical media drives in them?

More and more PCs are being sold as All-In-Ones that don't include media drives unless you order them (if it's even offered in that model). My current desktop workstation (built in 2016) didn't even get an optical drive until late-2018, and that's because I wanted a Blu-ray writer.

I've used it for precisely zero Blu-ray discs, and four DVDs. None of my mobile PCs (Surface 3 LTE, Surface Pro, work HP EliteBook) have an optical drive. If I need to use them with DVD media, I have an old Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive I can plug into them for it.
I'm old school. I still have a floppy drive in mine (though it's disconnected from power). You could buy a USB one for pretty cheap.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #2176
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started playing with iOS13 as well. Liking the ability to make scripts. Should be fun. The swipe / swift keyboard works pretty good.

At some point however, they really need to make it forget that you capitalized a character at a specific cursor position. Why Apple has this, I will never understand.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #2177
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best (read: acceptable) screen repair place in Calgary for iPhone? Also, how long does it typically take? Never had a screen repair done before.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #2178
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://imobilecalgary.ca/

He comes to you and takes about 15min. I have used him a few times.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #2179
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow I didn't know they could come and fix your #### for you. I probably would've thought that too good to be true if not for a CP recommendation.

Thanks.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #2180
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Apple is getting into the credit card business with the Apple Card. I dont think its available in Canada though (yet)

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/

I like the idea of instant cash back as the current reward programs are pretty lame (Aeroplan, Air Miles etc) but I earn 2% on the capital one card for everything so this card would have to match/beat that which doesnt seem likely (if/when it comes to Canada)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote