Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #6941
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, the difference is I don't think you could possibly get Ospreay jeered at this point.

Okada did some pretty good heel work in his match with PAC and got the crowd to turn against him.
Well that's right now - but he had some decent heel heat in AEW prior to this storyline.

Okada 100% should have been a heel - but just the final boss heel and not what feels like a bit of an addon to this faction/story that doesn't seem to fit with where they are going.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:02 PM   #6942
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the angle is laughably bad. As others have said The Bucks and Perry are not over, and have the wrong kind of heat. Tony Khan is awkward, and doesn't belong on television. He also doesn't have much of a "past" on television, so why would the audience care that they beat the owner up on television? To me it reeks of desperation to try and create controversy, but I doubt it's going to help ratings. I guess they're finally doing "long-term" storylines, especially if Omega gets involved, just not a good one.

Meanwhile they have Swerve their new world champion as the curtain jerker as he barely wins his first match. I saw someone mentioned he should have closed the show, with some kind of celebration... but nope, the Bucks get that spot.

Then even worse they're putting Ospreay up for a midcard belt? I know everyone in AEW has a belt, but Ospreay is your golden goose. It feels the same as Mone going for a midcard title. If they wanted Ospreay to stay away from Swerve why not have him beat Copeland instead?

The Mox match was terrible as well. Yet another title on AEW. They merged some titles, but replaced them with new ones. Now we're at the point where nearly every match has a title on the line.

Someone said maybe the Bucks angle is to get Tony away from booking. That would be the best scenario. He is a clown. Kinda ironic how Goldberg is one of his favorite wrestlers, meanwhile Bill wants nothing to do with AEW.

Oh and you actually have Jericho leaning into the negative things Cornette has said against him? Do they actually think that's going to work? Yet another weird angle with the wrong kind of heat. Which is sad considering Jericho was one of the most over people in wrestling for the better part of 20 years. Now people want him to go away forever.

Last edited by trackercowe; 04-25-2024 at 01:06 PM.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #6943
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Jerhico Angle so much. The Learning Tree is already hilarious to me.

The Bucks/Perry Angle is different, because they're feuding with a guy who isn't even in the company.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:14 PM   #6944
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If I was booking this angle, the first thing I would have done was taught Tony how to sell it.

Then second there would have been no flippy flippy missed move on Tony, it would have been an old school stump piledrive on the concrete and I would have taught Tony how to blade, or I would have had him hard wayed to sell it. And I certainly wouldn't have let him stand up in front of the audience. We're talking stretcher, neck brace, crying wrestlers. Then I would have sold the injury by having Tony no show for the next few weeks.

This would be a natural for FTR to eventually come in as saviors for example and kick the ever loving crap out of the Bucks eventually. You could elevate Perry, and get the negative heat off of him and get heel heat on him, even if you did something like having Daniel stand up for Tony and to put Perry properly over. Or someone at that level.

But this angle really started off with a really badly, cheesy, fake looking beatdown.

One of the big things that got the NWO over was the destruction of Eric. And Eric sold all the way out on it

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:16 PM   #6945
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh and keep Jericho all the way away from any of this, the guy is a heat vortex, he sucks the heat away from anyone that works with him. We don't need him parasiting from anymore angles.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:16 PM   #6946
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Negative heat for Perry? Like go away heat?

When did this happen? At Windy City Riot the dude was over AF.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:32 PM   #6947
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I think the angle is laughably bad. As others have said The Bucks and Perry are not over, and have the wrong kind of heat. Tony Khan is awkward, and doesn't belong on television. He also doesn't have much of a "past" on television, so why would the audience care that they beat the owner up on television? To me it reeks of desperation to try and create controversy, but I doubt it's going to help ratings. I guess they're finally doing "long-term" storylines, especially if Omega gets involved, just not a good one.
The Bucks could create an angle as hot as Austin vs. McMahon and you'd still #### on it because you hate the Bucks.

Also how can you say Perry isn't over? Did you even watch the show last night? He was getting very loud "scapegoat" and "cry me a river chants, same as he has been during his NJPW run in the U.S.

Quote:
Meanwhile they have Swerve their new world champion as the curtain jerker as he barely wins his first match. I saw someone mentioned he should have closed the show, with some kind of celebration... but nope, the Bucks get that spot.
Again, do you actually watch the product or just read recaps? They have done this with essentially every world champion of the last few years. The title match goes on first to pop the ratings. I vehemently disagree with that tactic because I'm old school, but it's not like it's a brand new thing.

Quote:
Then even worse they're putting Ospreay up for a midcard belt? I know everyone in AEW has a belt, but Ospreay is your golden goose. It feels the same as Mone going for a midcard title. If they wanted Ospreay to stay away from Swerve why not have him beat Copeland instead?
This I can agree with. I also think Roddy is a good champion. I'm hoping it's a swerve where the Callis family turns on Ospreay and costs him the belt. Either way, they've booked themselves into a corner because Ospreay has already run through the entire family.

quote]The Mox match was terrible as well. Yet another title on AEW. They merged some titles, but replaced them with new ones. Now we're at the point where nearly every match has a title on the line.[/quote]

It's not a new title. It's the NJPW HW title. If you want to bitch about that, take it up with NJPW. They clearly wanted an American to hold the belt during their U.S. tour and will probably have him hold it until Forbidden Door of NJPW Dominion. It completely makes sense for NJPW to have Mox run up some wins in the U.S. to build him up as a credible champion for the next Japanese wrestler to take it from him.

Quote:
Someone said maybe the Bucks angle is to get Tony away from booking. That would be the best scenario. He is a clown. Kinda ironic how Goldberg is one of his favorite wrestlers, meanwhile Bill wants nothing to do with AEW.
Where are you getting this ####? Find me the quote where TK said Goldberg is one of his favourite restaurants. He already said months ago he and Goldberg were friends but he wasn't really interested in bringing Goldberg in. Also sounds like Goldberg thinks he's worth a lot more $ than he actually is. It's not like WWE are beating down the door to bring him back either.

Quote:
Oh and you actually have Jericho leaning into the negative things Cornette has said against him? Do they actually think that's going to work? Yet another weird angle with the wrong kind of heat. Which is sad considering Jericho was one of the most over people in wrestling for the better part of 20 years. Now people want him to go away forever.
Even the crowd is sick of Jericho. There were very loud "please retire" and "Fozzy sucks" chants at Dynasty. The crowd last night, which was generally hot for everything, completely died during that segment.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:33 PM   #6948
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Negative heat for Perry? Like go away heat?

When did this happen? At Windy City Riot the dude was over AF.
Pretty clear hes just looking at recaps to find things to #### on. There's obviously subjective elements to evaluating wrestling, but dude is out to lunch on so many of his takes.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:38 PM   #6949
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty clear hes just looking at recaps to find things to #### on. There's obviously subjective elements to evaluating wrestling, but dude is out to lunch on so many of his takes.
Not in the least. I watch the show weekly. Perry has heat at the pro AEW crowd in Jacksonville. Again let's see how he goes over in other venues... or better yet let's see the ratings! The Bucks have proven again and again that they are no longer draws. Let's see if pushing them hard changes things.

Quote:
AEW Dynamite draws lowest viewership since January 2021
The episode went against competition from the NBA playoffs.

Wednesday night's Dynasty fallout edition of AEW Dynamite averaged 683,000 viewers on TBS. That's down 10.4 percent from last week and marks the lowest audience total the show has done in its regular time slot since January 6, 2021, an episode that took place on the same day as the United States Capitol riot.
https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/a...e-january-2021

Ouch! Where are all the Jack Perry and Young Bucks fans at?

Quote:
Where are you getting this ####? Find me the quote where TK said Goldberg is one of his favourite restaurants. He already said months ago he and Goldberg were friends but he wasn't really interested in bringing Goldberg in. Also sounds like Goldberg thinks he's worth a lot more $ than he actually is. It's not like WWE are beating down the door to bring him back either.
You can find your answer here. It sounds as though Khan wanted to bring in Goldberg at one point. Obviously he tried to make that happen, and Goldberg wanted nothing to do with it. I'm no Bill Goldberg fan, but it's apparent that many wrestling personalities view AEW in a poor light (Cornette, Bischoff, Goldberg, Punk).

Last edited by trackercowe; 04-25-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:47 PM   #6950
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should add that AEW pretty much has to start taking risks to make some new stars. Unless Kenny comes back strong, that bloated roster is going to start looking really thin once Edge, Christian, and BD are gone. Starks, Matthews, and Black look to be gone once their contracts are up, and it wouldn't totally shock me if FTR followed them (although I think they're pretty happy with their spots).

Beyond that, they have Swerve, Okada, Ospreay, Take, and MJF. I'm also a Powerhouse Hobbs and Daniel Garcia fan, but YMMV. That's a decent core but, outside of MJF, those aren't household names. Jay White has potential, but he's been booked terribly up until this point.

I wish they would kill off the trios titles. I liked the idea at first but it completely ruined the tag division, which was arguably the best thing AEW offered over their first few years. The Acclaimed had basically all of their heat killed by moving them into the trios division.

Also, for the love of God, get the ROH #### off the main roster. Either have it be a separate brand or kill it. No one gives a #### about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 03:51 PM   #6951
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Not in the least. I watch the show weekly. Perry has heat at the pro AEW crowd in Jacksonville. Again let's see how he goes over in other venues... or better yet let's see the ratings! The Bucks have proven again and again that they are no longer draws. Let's see if pushing them hard changes things.
I don't disagree that the Bucks on their own aren't draws. I think them being ratings poison is overblown, but they're not drawing eyes on their own to the product. However, they're probably the right guys to play weasely henchmen for a faction that's mostly designed to get Okada and Perry over.

If it ends up being a vehicle to get the Bucks over, I'll happily eat crow.

I think TK looking at the ratings on a weekly basis is partially what got AEW into this mess to begin, with so I'm hoping he takes a more long-term view of things going forward. Probably unlikely though.

Quote:
You can find your answer here. It sounds as though Khan wanted to bring in Goldberg at one point. Obviously he tried to make that happen, and Goldberg wanted nothing to do with it. I'm no Bill Goldberg fan, but it's apparent that many wrestling personalities view AEW in a poor light (Cornette, Bischoff, Goldberg, Punk).
Yeah, I have a hard time believing TK had serious interest. Bill has been in his feelings a lot lately about what he thinks he's worth. TK may have kicked the tires and then probably walked away as soon as Goldberg provided a price tag.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:56 PM   #6952
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

lol at the names trackercrowe mentioned.

Cornette ####s on everything that isn't old school. AEW was meant to combine good wrestling with meme culture, everything Cornett hates.

Bischoff took TK's money to be on Dynamite in 2020 and TK credited Bischoff for having a live TV show on TNT.

Goldberg said AEW was too cheesy. That's hilarious coming from a guy who starred in low-budget film schlock and couldn't wrestle worth a damn. He'd have go-away heat.

Punk - Took TK's money, wanted to be the face of his own TV show, got his own TV show, couldn't handle criticism, started a fight, got fired, and ran to the promotion he said he'd never go back to. Thinnest skin in the game.

Would be curious to see who else that isn't old and bitter viewing AEW in a poor light.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:56 PM   #6953
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did like the novelty of that gauntlet match from last night. Thumbs up to whoever came up with that idea. I think that's a concept they can evolve in the future. They can tinker with it, it's an improvement over the battle royales.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:09 PM   #6954
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Perry had a "CRY ME A RIVER" chant last night in Jacksonville. I'm really trying to reconcile this 'heat' part. Is he an anti-hero character? Yes. Was the chanting muted a bit? Sure, but that's because it's an open air amphitheater and doesn't have great acoustics.

I'd really like to know more about this heat he had. I didn't get that impression at all.