Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2022, 11:43 AM   #421
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with Gaudreau 5v5 in the playoffs?
He was a beast in the regular season and I see he's only +1 in the playoffs.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #422
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
To a man I find him incredibly smug, cocky and overconfident veiled in friendly wordiness.
Agreed
I just found last nights interview to be a bit extra smug.
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #423
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1528054798548799488
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #424
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
Did anyone else find Woodcrofts after game press conference to be unusually smug? I mean “of course we won” kind of slant?
I thought there was a lot of bulletin board material in there.
Woodcroft is the same as every other member of their team right now in that he's just riding McDavid's coattails to wherever he'll take them. His team came out and played much better this game than last, but they still wouldn't be at all impressive without McDavid, so I don't think Woodcroft's words come with any earned credibility.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #425
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This oilers team is really ####ing annoying.

They looked dead in the water in Feb/March, a sure bet to miss the playoffs.

But here they are, like a disgusting wart that can't be killed, hanging around.

Getting past the 1st round was a huge step for the Flames org, but that will mean sweet F all if they lose to the goddamn oilers in round 2.

Like why in the hell can't they hold onto a lead against this team?! FIX IT! That's four games in a row they've gotten out to 2,3 and even as high as 4 goal leads only to let them come back FFS. FIX IT!

I have a bad feeling that one of these games the oilers will be the ones to get out to an early lead, and then it'll end up a 7-2 blow out as the Flames lose all D awareness trying to comeback like the oilers have been and Mcdivenadwhine will be right there to light them up over and over.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #426
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

This game was a classic case of getting McDavided. By both the player himself and the officiating. Same thing happened in the regular season too.

What's funny is that I saw these same officials ref the St. Louis game a few games back and they sure weren't calling that game the same way.

I think there will be at least one more game like this in the series if not more where it is a constant stream of players to the box (deserved or not) and not called like a normal playoff game. It's going to be frustrating but hopefully the majority of the remaining games get a normal level of playoff officiating. Who knows anymore though.

Flames are a good road team so if they can steal both games in Pissmonton they could come back with control of the series. I think that 9pm start is way rougher on a home team than a road team too.

Hopefully Tanev can make it back. Flames miss him a ton back there.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #427
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The Oilers are apparently kryptonite to Markstrom and the Flames D. In 6 games now the Flames have given up 27 goals to them, a 4.5 GAA. This isn't a small sample size issue now, it's a glaring trend where Calgary gets completely derailed in their own end over and over again. Against Dallas they were generally always in the correct positions and playing the puck, against Edmonton they're chasing individual players and making fools of themselves. This is why I was dreading this matchup, emotions run too high for many of the players to handle. I really hope Sutter is able to work some old man wisdom into them to calm things the #### down
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #428
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The Oilers are apparently kryptonite to Markstrom and the Flames D. In 6 games now the Flames have given up 27 goals to them, a 4.5 GAA. This isn't a small sample size issue now, it's a glaring trend where Calgary gets completely derailed in their own end over and over again. Against Dallas they were generally always in the correct positions and playing the puck, against Edmonton they're chasing individual players and making fools of themselves. This is why I was dreading this matchup, emotions run too high for many of the players to handle. I really hope Sutter is able to work some old man wisdom into them to calm things the #### down
This.

Instead of just playing strong postionally like they have all season they start chasing against the Oilers.

Almost like they want to stop him too badly, and because of that play overly aggressive which leads to them ending up on the wrong side of him.

I hope they get on the road and play a simple road game, I’m not sure the energy in the Saddledome actually helped them that much. Seems that it almost got them to be a little too aggressive.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #429
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I hate to say it but they need to play a bit of Stars hockey and get back to basics. Oilers are clearly in their heads as they stray from their brand to try and beat them at their own game and it’s not working.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #430
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds cliched, but Flames can’t let off the gas in the offensive zone.

Flames were fine to sit on 2 goal lead. Oilers top line are very good at creating turnovers, something Dallas didn’t even try to do, and Flames are now as a result seemingly leery of making mistakes in zone too and that makes it worse. Eventually Oiler confidence grows since they keep getting chances and pucks, and the Flames give them the neutral zone too.

Nurse is terrible in his own zone and most Oilers defense are not confident. Flames just need to keep possession and cycle in the Oilers zone for longer stretches. Chances will come with that and also momentum swung the other way.

Tanev calming at the back is now required. Some guys at the back are playing too many minutes and both tired and now losing some confidence too/playing scared worrying about making a mistake.

All that said, the penalty box parade (for both teams) favours the Oilers because Flames can’t roll 4 lines, 2.5 of which are better then the Oilers bottom 3 lines.

And, still,with all that, if that ref doesn’t blow a ridiculously quick whistle on the Toffoli goal, the Flames are up 2-0 in the series.

Last edited by browna; 05-21-2022 at 12:16 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #431
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This.

Instead of just playing strong postionally like they have all season they start chasing against the Oilers.

Almost like they want to stop him too badly, and because of that play overly aggressive which leads to them ending up on the wrong side of him.

I hope they get on the road and play a simple road game, I’m not sure the energy in the Saddledome actually helped them that much. Seems that it almost got them to be a little too aggressive.
Well it's not like Rogers Place is going to be less noisy or energetic. Maybe they need to meditate before the game to get into a zen state, because pumping themselves up isn't working

One thing I'll give the Oilers credit for is they never give up even after going down multiple goals. I'm guessing it's because they got so used to getting scored on throughout the season, but it seems impossible to put them in a hole that they can't climb out of. Flames on the other hand seem to get very lazy when they go up a couple after a quick start, maybe the best case scenario for the next game is a 0-0 tie after the first
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #432
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are learning the hard way that if you try to chase McDavid, you're gonna get burned. By all means, hit him and get in his grill when you get the chance, like Lucic did in game 1. But the real key to stopping him is to play strong positional D and take away the passing lanes. Cover the other players on the ice FFS and stop trying to go out of your way to chase him around the ice like a fool. If you continue to do that he's just gonna find that one open guy and boom, it's in the back of your net.

Good news is that the mistakes the Flames keep getting burned on can be fixed. If they can tighten up the defensive coverage and just play smarter, they'll win this series in 6 games or less. And for god sakes, stay disciplined and don't get sucked into the extra-curricular shenanigans. The Oilers want PPs and 4 on 4 as much as possible. If you can keep things even strength for longer stretches, the Oilers have nothing.

Last but not least, if you get a lead, don't stop skating. Put the hammer down, play smart, and keep coming at them in waves.

Last edited by direwolf; 05-21-2022 at 12:20 PM.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #433
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Here is where I think the Flames have really dropped the ball so far this series, Leon Draisaitl. This was a guy coming into the series who could barely skate because of an injury and like I referred to in my pre-series keys they should have been blowing him up and taking it to him physically. Instead they have done the exact opposite, giving him time and space, not crushing him along the boards, not making him pay in front of the net because they have been so focused on McDavid. McDavid is hard to defend and hard to crush, yes they have had a few licks on him which is good but the Oilers have two dynamic forwards and they had the chance to really put a world of hurt on one of them and they haven't. Now he is starting to get more mobile by the day and looked much better last night than the previous two games because he has rested during practices and the Flames have not pressure him physically at all in the series. I don't get why someone like big Z has not blasted him. They just give him all the time and space he wants, so frustrating!
Z or Gud should have taken a swing at his ankle on the breakaway like an axe.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #434
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Will Nurse get a fine for his cheapshot on Coleman after the buzzer?

On the 19-Nurse incident - at some point you just need to work the refs a bit and just call attention to that cheap #### and hope it pays off later (or you get away with your own cheap #### later).

Whereas I have no problem with Mangi jumping to Coleman's aid if the linesman aren't going to get in there.

I didn't see that. Is there video of the incident?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #435
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Between betting ads, refs meddling and subpar broadcasts, my enthusiasm for the games this series has greatly waned.

Hard to believe you can actually screw up the battle of alberta.

If we get some low penalty or consistently/competently called games that don't turn into complete gongshows maybe my interest will get a bump.

Right now... not even excited by this series. It has sucked from a fan and entertainment perspective. Two bad exhibition games so far with none of the qualities you expect from playoffs.

Embarrassing style of hockey made worse by refs drawing penalties out of a hat all night.

Then MGM ads with effing Gretzky educating kids and families on easy two-click ways to gamble your money.

This is garbage, NHL/SN.

I'm not sure what's the big deal with the ads. I sorta noticed that there is a few ads but I barely noticed until all the negative nellies complained about them.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #436
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
This game was a classic case of getting McDavided. By both the player himself and the officiating. Same thing happened in the regular season too.

What's funny is that I saw these same officials ref the St. Louis game a few games back and they sure weren't calling that game the same way.

I think there will be at least one more game like this in the series if not more where it is a constant stream of players to the box (deserved or not) and not called like a normal playoff game. It's going to be frustrating but hopefully the majority of the remaining games get a normal level of playoff officiating. Who knows anymore though.

Flames are a good road team so if they can steal both games in Pissmonton they could come back with control of the series. I think that 9pm start is way rougher on a home team than a road team too.

Hopefully Tanev can make it back. Flames miss him a ton back there.
Four total penalties in the Colorado game, twenty two last night. Seems like a totally normal discrepency.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #437
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Whereas I have no problem with Mangi jumping to Coleman's aid if the linesman aren't going to get in there.
Barrie not getting an extra two on that play was the worst.

Mangiapane needed to jump in to protect Coleman because none of the refs were even trying

And yeah based on the first couple games of this series it’s clear to me that the refs have guidance to call it tight and make sure they are giving penalties on anything after the whistle.

Flames need to stay away from that though because that plays into the Oilers favour and so far the extra penalties are going to the Flames

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-21-2022 at 01:27 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #438
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Flames need to stay away from that though because that plays into the Oilers favour and so far the extra penalties are going to the Flames
It’s not even the extra ones, the flames are getting called for any scuffle and Edmonton was not.

If EDM initiated they got nothing
If they retaliated they got nothing
If they were blatant it was “missed”

Calls 6-2 in their favour is not an accident, both teams played each other the same way, we just didn’t get any calls our way and if it was a call for us we somehow managed to get an incidental miraculously.

One of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years and it played right into Edmontons favour (go figure) because they only generate offence/pressure on Power plays and 4 on 4

Absolute joke.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #439
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Ya, not sure how Hyman looked like Jagr out there. Flames Team defense needs to really pick it up. When a Dman pinches a forward needs to cover, also this team cannot let anymore breakaways happen. We are getting burned.

As far as Jarnkrok, I was his biggest Cheerleader but the time for just being reliable is over, get a goal son. Doesnt matter if he offensively more effective on the wing, need to figure it out and pot one soon.
My theory is that the Flames defense are so concerned with being available for point shots that they’re not staying above the Oiler players and they’re easily getting behind the Flames’ D. Had to be a new strategy devised by Woodcroft and his staff as their entire team constantly on watch for it.

It is what it is, the Flames’ D will have to be much more vigilant so the Zach Hyman’s of the world aren’t getting so many breakaways. I guess the D could cut to the slot as well since it’ll available, but I’d be weary of a 2 on 1 counterattack especially with McDavid out there. The forwards would have to constantly be on guard and available to cover. Maybe smarter to just grind down low and crowd the net as the Oilers’ won’t be in the best position to collapse back.

I have zero faith in Jarnkrok. He doesn’t even look like a threat to score. He just sort of skates around looking busy. Toffoli outside of yesterday’s PP goal still looks like he’s fighting the puck. Dube has been disappointing too after that hot finish to the season. Might be a good idea to mix up the bottom 6 if they don’t figure it out asap.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:07 PM   #440
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or just don’t put the guys who are playing like garbage on the ice. Like other teams do.

Hard for any particular line to get rolling though when you take 11 penalties.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post: