Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #921
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that is some nice looking stuff
Old 03-24-2022, 02:28 PM   #922
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Random bump. Are these still going to return this year?
I haven't seen them yet. Uniqlo did bring in a blazer-styled version for men (which i think is ugly), but I haven't seen the work jacket one.

I would say it doesn't look good right now since their spring stuff is usually out already, but Uniqlo has also been a mess for the past year in terms of sizes and styles that come in, so who knows.

The Uniqlo U overshirt jacket looks like a similar cut but different fabric.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2022, 10:44 AM   #923
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I have recently discovered Spier & MacKay.

I purchased a couple of jackets and 2 pairs of Chinos from them. Their style is on fire and their prices are fantastic for the quality you get.

Yes they do have summer weight jackets, just search through their outerwear collection.
https://www.spierandmackay.com/collection/outerwear

Be warned, they do sell out fairly fast and don't always restock. They are a Canadian brand so there is no shipping/returns/taxation drama involved.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I have a 20% off coupon code that I can share.
Spier and Mackay rules so hard. Just bought a chore coat from them.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 03-26-2022, 10:45 AM   #924
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I haven't seen them yet. Uniqlo did bring in a blazer-styled version for men (which i think is ugly), but I haven't seen the work jacket one.

I would say it doesn't look good right now since their spring stuff is usually out already, but Uniqlo has also been a mess for the past year in terms of sizes and styles that come in, so who knows.

The Uniqlo U overshirt jacket looks like a similar cut but different fabric.
Fabric and cut sucks for that particular garment.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:03 PM   #925
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What should I wear to the office on hot summer days? I feel like a dorky ass engineer if I wear short sleeve button up shirts.

Anyway to make it look more stylish and less nerdy? What pants do I match it with? At the same time, how do you make it look professional and not like you’re going to the beach?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:10 PM   #926
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are suede shoes supposed to stretch a lot or just a little? I have an opportunity to get a pretty good deal on some barely worn Allen Edmonds, but they almost felt like a full size too small.

To get my foot in, I had to pull out the insole and I had to tug the tongue to get it on. I think I've had less issues putting on shoes a full size smaller than what I normally wear. I'm pretty sure this is why this pair of shoes is barely worn and being ditched. I have never owned suede shoes, so I was interested in nabbing a pair to try out.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/product...loafer-3023388

Quote:
Yes, the fit is snug out of the box, but you must trust the process. Having worn this shoe every day as my house slipper for the past two weeks, it is no longer snug in the slightest. If it were not snug to start with, I would be swimming in the shoe right now. Trust the process; let the shoe mold to your foot for a custom perfect fit. Allen Edmonds knows what they are doing. Trust them; the shoe will fit as sized after the break-in period.
Is this accurate? The shoes probably wouldn't be too bad if they basically stretched half a size to a full size up as mentioned in a few reviews. I'd definitely nab them if that's how much they stretch. But that just level of stretching seems obscene to me?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #927
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, no. You shouldn't have to struggle to get them on WITH the insole in.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #928
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got one of those moto style leather jackets, never had one before. Just a question, do you ever get used to the leather collar poking you in the throat/Adam's apple? Like does it ever soften?

I love the look of the coat but I'm a thinner guy with quite a large Adam's apple so the collar is driving me a little nuts in the very early going. Just wondering if I should return it, or if it's a normal new leather coat problem that fades over time (or can I buy something to soften the collar)

Thanks!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #929
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every leather jacket softens over time, but depending on what type of moto you got (i.e. if it's an actual motorcycle jacket that's designed to be protective and depending on the collar style) the thicker leather might stay a bit more on the stiff side.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #930
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have leather car coat/overcoat that was given to me but the sizing/fit isnt right. Is there anyone that does alterations on leather garments here in town that someone can recommend?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:29 PM   #931
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn’t really a style question but rather maintaining your nice shoes. Specifically, replacement laces. I have this beautiful white pair of Nike Air Jordan ADG 4 shoes that I love wearing in the summer. Unfortunately, the ankle lock has worn and finally shredded one of the laces.

Where do you go for good replacement laces? Preferably somewhere that ships from within Canada, but anywhere that has fast shipping (hell l will take an Amazon option if they’re good laces). Looking for white, round laces. Ideally with metal caps, but at this point I’ll take what’s good quality and quick.

Edit: A follow-up, I found Shoelaces Express. Not exactly the cheapest pair of laces I've bought, but I specifically needed round, 3/16" width and 36" length laces. They do custom round with metal tips, so there you have it.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 05-15-2023 at 09:44 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #932
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have occasion to dress up very often, so my dress clothes are old.
How long can you wear suit jackets for until you look ridiculously dated?
I have a fairly expensive one I purchased about 12 years ago which is my only one, and I have no idea how bad I would look if I wore it now.
does a classic style stay a classic style for quite some time?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #933
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I don't have occasion to dress up very often, so my dress clothes are old.
How long can you wear suit jackets for until you look ridiculously dated?
I have a fairly expensive one I purchased about 12 years ago which is my only one, and I have no idea how bad I would look if I wore it now.
does a classic style stay a classic style for quite some time?
When it comes to suits, the style is really in the fabric and the fit. They still make suits today that (in terms of pattern/fabric/etc) could have been worn 50 years ago.

As long as it's not a trendy pattern or colour and fits you well, it isn't going to look any worse today than it did 12 years ago. Might be worth going to a tailor to have it re-fitted, but that should suffice.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:11 AM   #934
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slim fit suits came into style ~20 years ago, so if it's a slim fit suit and it is bowing in the label or creasing at the shoulders, you should probably junk it.

Classic cut jackets tend to have more longevity and age more gracefully as our bodies deteriorate.

Following Derek Guy on Twitter is a pro follow if you're interested in menswear and it's history. Here's a good thread of him tearing down Nick Adams' fit

https://twitter.com/user/status/1655397143325323264

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-15-2023 at 10:13 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:14 AM   #935
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What should I wear to the office on hot summer days? I feel like a dorky ass engineer if I wear short sleeve button up shirts.

Anyway to make it look more stylish and less nerdy? What pants do I match it with? At the same time, how do you make it look professional and not like you’re going to the beach?
I quite like the look of a full dress shirt with either cleaning rolled up sleeves to below elbow or pulled up so the cuff flares out.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:17 AM   #936
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Slim fit suits came into style ~20 years ago, so if it's a slim fit suit and it is bowing in the label or creasing at the shoulders, you should probably junk it.

Classic cut jackets tend to have more longevity and age more gracefully as our bodies deteriorate.

Following Derek Guy on Twitter is a pro follow if you're interested in menswear and it's history. Here's a good thread of him tearing down Nick Adams' fit

https://twitter.com/user/status/1655397143325323264
I don't know who Nick Adams is, and I'm pretty happy about that.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:18 AM   #937
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
As a bonus, he also comes off as completely insane 30% of the time (but always because of how obsessed he is with menswear, not because his opinions are off base) which is always entertaining
Old 05-15-2023, 11:19 AM   #938
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not a slim fit, just a basic classic cut, no bowing or creasing when I wear it. (so far) It's the most expensive piece of clothing I ever purchased and I'm hoping I could get away with it for a while more as I know little of current fashion and nothing about suits.

I'm at the age where funerals are becoming a common occurrence, and I'm old fashioned enough that I generally hate when people are very casually dressed for one.
Old 05-15-2023, 12:35 PM   #939
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Classic menswear is just that, classic. It will never not look good if it wasn’t on trend. Now, you can have some pretty era specific clothes but if it was classically tasteful then it’ll be fine now.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:07 PM   #940
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Classic menswear is just that, classic. It will never not look good if it wasn’t on trend. Now, you can have some pretty era specific clothes but if it was classically tasteful then it’ll be fine now.
That is true. I remember the shoulder pad era.