Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #1901
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The insane spike in prices of these pieces was unprecedented.

I had an opportunity to buy a fully original Rolex Daytona once around 5 years ago. The seller said it was a very rare combination and he had the papers for it. It just wasn't my style and way over my budget, so I said no. I know the guy, so I know it's legit and not counterfeit or anything like that.

I don't regret not buying, but what does keeps me up a little bit at night is that I've never seen pictures of it online. Like, how does that happen? The dials are always slightly different color combinations and the texture of the leather is only in different colors.

https://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/rolex-...id23808350.htm

It basically looked like this, but dial is white, and the leather strap is a sort of chestnut brown with the same pattern. Is it truly so rare there's no pics of it easily available online?

I spoke to the owner of the watch a few years ago, and he said he was scared to keep the watch. He said he casually asked around about the value of the watch and he was told by some who were somewhat in the know that they had no idea, but for the time being, he should keep quiet about the watch and keep the watch safe.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #1902
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It's already worth more than what he paid for it. He called a store and was told they'd buy it for $23,000. He's not selling. Yet.
The majority of the watch market is seeing a pull back and is off the highs of ~6 months ago. IF he bought it to flip, sooner rather than later might be a good idea. Otherwise, the value will ebb and flow and he might as well own it for as long as he enjoys it.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #1903
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got back from Europe a couple weeks ago. Most authorized dealers in Paris and Geneva had Rolexes, APs, VCs, etc. all available for sale at retail price.

Not sure what's going on over here in North America, but if you really wanted a luxury watch, fly to Europe to grab one.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 05:14 PM   #1904
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I got back from Europe a couple weeks ago. Most authorized dealers in Paris and Geneva had Rolexes, APs, VCs, etc. all available for sale at retail price.

Not sure what's going on over here in North America, but if you really wanted a luxury watch, fly to Europe to grab one.
+1

A friend was in Barcelona a few weeks ago, walked into Rolex and bought a GMT Pepsi... Unheard of here.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:17 PM   #1905
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

What's the taxes on the value of items being brought back to Canada over the duty limit? 10-15%?

I mean, it would be hilarious and I'd have a story forever if I flew over Europe to buy my grail and saved money doing so... for the Vacheron Constantin Overseas.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:35 PM   #1906
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What's the taxes on the value of items being brought back to Canada over the duty limit? 10-15%?

I mean, it would be hilarious and I'd have a story forever if I flew over Europe to buy my grail and saved money doing so... for the Vacheron Constantin Overseas.
I've heard it is $0 / 0% if you wear the watch in and ship the empty boxes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #1907
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

I went way over the $800. I just needed to pay GST on anything over $800.

If you ask, most places also do tax free shopping if you ask and show your Canadian passport. Most places in Paris knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked about it. Since VAT is rolled into the price of items in Europe, they give you a voucher, you get it processed at the airport when you leave, and you get your refund credited to your credit card within a week. It varies from item to item, but the VAT is typically anywhere from 12 - 20% of the price.

So you can probably walk in to a rolex store, pay €7000 for a watch, get €1000 credited to your account when you leave and pay $432 at Calgary Airport.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #1908
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a legit question about buying watches in Europe.

Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Europe from an AD there, getting the VAT refund, and pay the duty when entering Canada? Or is it cheaper to buy the same watch here in Canada from an AD?

Basically is the pre-tax retail price the same around the world?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:42 PM   #1909
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post

Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Europe from an AD there, getting the VAT refund, and pay the duty when entering Canada? Or is it cheaper to buy the same watch here in Canada from an AD?

For some things it's way cheaper in Europe. Others (like watches, slightly cheaper, but not by much).

As I'm not in the Rolex realm yet, I was looking at C$1000 watches before I left and decided to look in Paris while I was there.

For comparison, a C$950 Seiko was €750 in Paris. With the current exchange rate and assuming 15% back, that equals about C$860. So a small, but significant savings.

I'm not sure how that all compares to the higher end watches, but I suspect the savings are greater as ADs here are known to significantly jack prices up.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #1910
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default _

Quote:

The biggest difference right now is just plain ol' availability. As _Q_ mentioned, you can often walk into an AD in Europe and walk out with a watch. The shelves and cases are bare at the ADs over here. If you do manage to find any remotely desirable watch here, it will most certainly come with a markup or other strings attached, which in essence makes the watches in Europe cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 06-15-2022, 11:01 PM   #1911
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not in a hurry to get a Rolex (I am on the waitlist here) and I am not going to Europe anytime soon. I am just trying to find out if I happen to see a watch over there in Europe next time I head over will it be cheaper or more expensive to import one back to Canada the legal way.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:41 PM   #1912
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
The biggest difference right now is just plain ol' availability. As _Q_ mentioned, you can often walk into an AD in Europe and walk out with a watch. The shelves and cases are bare at the ADs over here. If you do manage to find any remotely desirable watch here, it will most certainly come with a markup or other strings attached, which in essence makes the watches in Europe cheaper.
I walked past Birks in the Core a 1/2 hr. ago and they had a couple of Rolexes on display on the outside windows and it looked like few more in the inside displays. First time I've seen that in a long time.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:50 PM   #1913
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I showed off the Rolex GMT that I inherited from my Dad a few pages back. He also left 4 pocket watches that had been in the family for a while. While I don't wear these, I thought maybe they were interesting enough that some of you might want to see them.

Elgin Grade 293- Model 7- Estimated Production 1917

This watch belonged to my grandfather, who was a coal miner in southern Alberta. This watch still runs when I wind it, and I can set the time with no issues. The cool thing about this watch is it sits in a case that was used to protect it when in the mine, this was my grandfather's work watch.

Elgin Grade 92- Model 3- Estimate Production 1891

This watch was also my Grandfather's, and my Dad believed that this was his "dress" watch. My grandfather died when my Dad was 17, so he isn't sure, but he just felt with the Elgin in the previous post having the protective case that he would bring into the coal mine, that this was the nicer watch. Unfortunately this is the one watch of the four that doesn't run. I'd like to find a good watchmaker and get it fixed up if that's even possible in this day and age.

Elgin Grade 117- Model 2- Estimate Production 1896

This watch is smaller than the others, but also works and seems to run smooth. This watch belonged to my great-grandfather on my grandfather's side. Not sure if it's gold, or perhaps bronze or something? Also a faint triangle design of some sort engraved on the back.

Waltham Grade 81- Model 1883- Estimated Production 1906

This watch is definitely the coolest one. This watch belonged to my great-grandfather on my grandmother's side. The backside of the watch has some very cool designs with some birds, and when I open the back the inside of the back says "gold filled', which I imagine means gold plated rather than solid gold? This is a little bit larger than the two silver coloured Elgin's I posted above. It sits in what I believe to be an original case that still closes and the clasp works, and also has a chain (the chain seems bronze and has a little acorn hanging from one end of the clasp). This watch has a great sound to it too when I wind it up and bring it close to my ear.

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 06-16-2022 at 02:53 PM.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #1914
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I showed off the Rolex GMT that I inherited from my Dad a few pages back. He also left 4 pocket watches that had been in the family for a while. While I don't wear these, I thought maybe they were interesting enough that some of you might want to see them.

Elgin Grade 293- Model 7- Estimated Production 1917

This watch belonged to my grandfather, who was a coal miner in southern Alberta. This watch still runs when I wind it, and I can set the time with no issues. The cool thing about this watch is it sits in a case that was used to protect it when in the mine, this was my grandfather's work watch.

I really like no-nonsense watches with big, easy-to-read numbers like that. I have a Hamilton field watch that is large with large numbers. I'm big so it looks reasonable on me, but it feels a bit out of sync with the style of most watches. It's neat to see this one from 1917 with the big digits like that. There's something pleasing about looking down and understanding the time instantaneously with such legible numbers.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #1915
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I really like no-nonsense watches with big, easy-to-read numbers like that. I have a Hamilton field watch that is large with large numbers. I'm big so it looks reasonable on me, but it feels a bit out of sync with the style of most watches. It's neat to see this one from 1917 with the big digits like that. There's something pleasing about looking down and understanding the time instantaneously with such legible numbers.
From the bit of reading I've been doing on pocket-watches, the big numbers are usually synonymous with the highly sought after railway-grade watches. Seems almost all examples have the big easily legible letters, and they were high quality time pieces that obviously had to keep time reliably. That 1917 Elgin one unfortunately I don't believe would fall into that category.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #1916
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Big image.

https://uncrate.com/kross-studio-tie...-watch-winder/

Anyone need a new winder?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #1917
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked up a metal 'Casioak' to bang around with this summer. Looks fantastic in person.

DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #1918
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That almost looks like it was meant for the aforementioned winder.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #1919
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not in a hurry to get a Rolex (I am on the waitlist here) and I am not going to Europe anytime soon. I am just trying to find out if I happen to see a watch over there in Europe next time I head over will it be cheaper or more expensive to import one back to Canada the legal way.
Assuming you're paying sticker price and you could find the watch in either market, it really comes down to currency exchange and taxes.

I found shopping in Hawaii for example is slightly cheaper than shopping at home in Vancouver because their tax is so low and ours so high.
But that's without getting dinged at customs too as we didn't go expensive enough to go over limits.
If you're in Alberta, you're already 7% better off than me, so that might not even apply.
I'm betting buying at home will end up lower for you generally speaking.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 09:44 PM   #1920
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the mall about an hour before the season opener. Much to my surprise, found a perfect Flames coloured MoonSwatch just in time for the season!

Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: