Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 10:37 PM   #2661
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Talk about no good!

Wills is a staff member of the host broadcaster who calls PBP. He does a radio hit. His job is to help drive listeners and to support his team. A good comparison would be whomever calls PBP for 630Ched, the Oilies host broadcaster, who I am sure is just as much focused on his team. I’m sure he does radio hits and hypes the team.

Spector and Francis both write and appear for the host broadcaster.

Gilbertson and Matheson write for the respective print media outlets in each city.

Staples? Self proclaimed blogger who doesn’t attend games and who seems to have a side gig writing business articles. That’s the comparison. He’s a fan. He writes in the EJ. So go ahead and make the comparisons, but at least put in a bit of an effort to get the right one.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 PM   #2662
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
Good, let the loser mentality set in, good call Edmonton Journal:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/l...dmonton-oilers
On brand for the oilers from the article:

“Losing to the Canucks saves the Oilers from themselves“

We’ve been told only one team can beat the oilers, so this is exactly right.

Oh and also the Canucks…they also beat the Oilers. Again.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:42 PM   #2663
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

According to Staples bio on the EJ website, he has been working for the publication since 1985. That means for 39 years he has not made any career progression at all.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:02 PM   #2664
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing is that Staples' day job is a provincial government reporter for the Journal. He's as bad (or worse) at that as he is as an Oilers "blogger".

Also, he seems to write 3 or 4 stories about the Oilers for every one he writes about Provincial politics. Imagine if you showed up at work and spent 4 times as much time doing your hobby rather than your actual job.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:26 AM   #2665
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing Wills to Staples should be bannable.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:43 AM   #2666
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The funny thing is that Staples' day job is a provincial government reporter for the Journal. He's as bad (or worse) at that as he is as an Oilers "blogger".

Also, he seems to write 3 or 4 stories about the Oilers for every one he writes about Provincial politics. Imagine if you showed up at work and spent 4 times as much time doing your hobby rather than your actual job.
In both topics he just recites what management tells him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:03 AM   #2667
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

you just knew that Mchobo would be healthy enough to play a team like SJ. an opportunity to put up points. What a warrior.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 09:27 AM   #2668
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
you just knew that Mchobo would be healthy enough to play a team like SJ. an opportunity to put up points. What a warrior.
Well his season is now a success and he can soon focus on his golf game.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:27 AM   #2669
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Lucky them that they managed to squeak out that 9th goal so he could get 100. I'm sure the response would have been the same had Kucherov done it first yesterday....
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:37 AM   #2670
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
On brand for the oilers from the article:

“Losing to the Canucks saves the Oilers from themselves“

We’ve been told only one team can beat the oilers, so this is exactly right.

Oh and also the Canucks…they also beat the Oilers. Again.
would love to see Vegas beat Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto to set Sportsnet on fire.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:42 AM   #2671
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
would love to see Vegas beat Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto to set Sportsnet on fire.
Sportsnet doesn't care about Vancouver or Winnipeg.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 11:18 AM   #2672
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I didn't realize Kucherov is one assist back of 100 as well and plays tonight. McAvi for sure wanted to be the first to it and who better to play than the Sharks.

I really don't see him ever winning with his current mindset.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:19 PM   #2673
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many garbage time and empty net points against bottom feeders for him in a given season? Has to be more than the average star player.

He takes every opportunity to pad.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 01:25 PM   #2674
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was listening to NHL network on the way to work this morning and I had to turn it off. It was continual nonsense about "where does this achievement rank him in history", not a mention about Kucherov whos actually won something in his career.
then it hit me, if I cant stand the blathering now, what will it be like in 2 years when he is a Maple Leaf?
Hopefully it wont both me as much.
Might even make me smile a bit knowing Edmonton wasted all those years
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 01:27 PM   #2675
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You wouldn't even know Kucherov has 99 assists, unless they mention it during highlights packages. All coverage is devoted to Matthews with 70 goals and McDavid with 100 assists. Meanwhile I don't think either should garner much consideration for the Hart... yet I wouldn't be shocked if one of them win with the massive bias towards certain teams/players.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 01:52 PM   #2676
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Mavi…he is such a giver at heart! Like how he gave the sharks the puck 86% of the time on faceoffs with his 14% win rate, and keeping everyone in suspense until the 9th goal with 4 minutes left in the game. It turned out exactly how one would draw it up, just as if it was an all star skills contest that you designed to win $1,000,000 usd.

Seriously though, the score is 8-1, 5 minutes left, coming back from a life threatening injury, “importance of health for playoffs”, and Mavi is playing?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:36 PM   #2677
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
That Mavi…he is such a giver at heart! Like how he gave the sharks the puck 86% of the time on faceoffs with his 14% win rate, and keeping everyone in suspense until the 9th goal with 4 minutes left in the game. It turned out exactly how one would draw it up, just as if it was an all star skills contest that you designed to win $1,000,000 usd.

Seriously though, the score is 8-1, 5 minutes left, coming back from a life threatening injury, “importance of health for playoffs”, and Mavi is playing?
I was so mad Kutcherov didn't get his 2 assists in the game before the Oilers started.

McDavid got the 8-1 assist near the end of the 2nd period not with 5 minutes left in the game.

If he misses their last couple of games, it shows he just came back for the individual award.
GFG#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:56 PM   #2678
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
I was so mad Kutcherov didn't get his 2 assists in the game before the Oilers started.

McDavid got the 8-1 assist near the end of the 2nd period not with 5 minutes left in the game.

If he misses their last couple of games, it shows he just came back for the individual award.
It doesn't matter because if Kucherov got a second assist the Oiler fans would just say it didn't count because it was in more games than McDavid.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #2679
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
You wouldn't even know Kucherov has 99 assists, unless they mention it during highlights packages. All coverage is devoted to Matthews with 70 goals and McDavid with 100 assists. Meanwhile I don't think either should garner much consideration for the Hart... yet I wouldn't be shocked if one of them win with the massive bias towards certain teams/players.
If I only listened to SN I wouldn't know that other comparable stars exist outside of McDrai, Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

It's a big league with what, almost 800 active players?

The fixation with a small handful in a couple of specific markets is boring. I want to see more about guys like Kaprizov and kuch who's running away with McDavid's trophy this year.

SN having our rights is also why I knew little of Kuzmenko leading up to the trade. 70+ point rookie season but there was virtually nothing in terms of highlights or a player spot on our broadcasts. Just their two princess teams.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 03:58 PM   #2680
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
It's unfortunate that DET gets MTL for their last game, WSH gets PHI for theirs and PIT gets NYI for theirs (the only one of the three left in the race who plays against a playoff team).

If PIT somehow gets in, Crosby should win the Hart if there are actually any hockey gods at all. I know he'd be my vote.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote