Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you like automatic tipping?
Yes 18 11.11%
No 144 88.89%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If you are serious about service you also might want to consider offering some sort of a credit towards the persons next meal. Talking to you might help improve your service in the future but it does nothing for what me as a customer had to endure.

To put it another way. If the service is bad i'm not going to return. I'm not willing to risk my hard earned dollars on the chance that the service could be crappy again. There has to be an incentive to get me to return.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tips are built-in in Europe, and the service is terrible. The waiters have no incentive to do a good job.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big fan of the automatic tip. If the service is deserving and the food is good, my tip will be as well. This also takes the incentive away from the server.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #24
mots
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not a fan of the idea. Tipping is "supposed" to be something extra you give when someone does a good/great job. Its not something that is part of the price, and if its ty, you take it away.

Really wondering why you would implement something like that, as in how did you come up with this?
mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I added a poll, and voted no.

I also don't like this. Have a website or email address where people can give their opinions without having to worry about a confrontation with the manager.

Get friends or family to be mystery shoppers. If they pay by credit card you can easily refund their purchase afterward. Then you can get some accurate reports about service levels.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
Just a question for those who are opposed to this idea - or to tipping in general really...would you support it if it was built into the price of the food instead? Like if the restaraunt was declared a tip-free place because they bumped the prices of their food up 20% to cover the tips?

I'm also interested in this concept as I was a server for many years and know a couple people in the restaurant industry as managers who have been thinking of similar ideas.
You would not get my business. Including the tip in the price of the food doesn't give the customer an opportunity to show thier disapproval of the service.

What will you do for customers when the service is bad?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #27
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

I find automatic tipping to be overly presumptuous and would probably not frequent an establishment that employs this system.

As for building the top into the price of the food, I would probably take one look at the menu and decide that the food is over priced.

I'm not opposed to tipping at all. I just think it should be merit based and a customer should be free to choose how little or much the service/food/experience is worth. Sometimes 15 or 20 per cent is inadequate. Sometimes 5 per cent is too much.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tip very well for good service. Having said that, if I felt like I was being forced to tip in any way I would never return.

I realize that tipping is mandatory these days, but it really is up to the patron to determine how much based on the level of service - it's not up to restaurant management. Mandating a percentage gratuity is an obvious cash grab which is predicated on the fact that it's too socially embarrassing for most patrons to call the manager to tell them specifically that they don't want to tip, if they've received bad service. Not to mention the fact that the wait staff have basically no incentive to perform at a high level.

I think you're nuts to institute a policy like this.
LeftWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judging by the poll this is a popular idea.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally don't like it.

I should be able to decided what amount I want to give my server. However in saying that it could hurt your staff too because if I get great service I leave more than 14%.

If I walked in and saw the sign, I would probably leave and look else where. I shouldn't be forced to leave a tip for any amount, to anyone. I can understand the large parties having an auto tip but not a table of 2-6.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #31
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only advantage I can see of this is the fact that a small minority of people will tell the manager that the service was bad.

The problem with people not tipping to show their satisfaction is that it rarely if ever gets the message across.
Seriously, what do you think your server says when you leave a bad tip:

a) "Gee, I guess that gentleman was upset with the quality of my service, I shall endeavor to do better in the future."

or

b) "What an a#####e!"

So if the automatic tipping actually got the message across it'd be a good thing. However I highly doubt it'll be any more effective than the old method, as most people will probably just say "Screw it I'm never coming here again".
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #32
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I voted no only because there is not option to choose yes but...

I think it is ok but only if you are confident that 90% of your customers will get great service.

If you told me what restaurant you are talking about I'd be much more likely to have confidence in my vote.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #33
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Drat, I accidentally voted yes - but it should be apparent by my comment that this was definitely a mistake.
LeftWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted no because I feel pressured into tipping to begin with. There is no way that I want to justify my desire not to tip in a talk with a manager.

How about if you just raise your prices and don't allow servers to accept tips a la Calgary Co-op? Then the house can tip the staff and you guys decide whether they deserve it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would not visit restaurant with this policy. Tipping is my discretionary spending, not the restaurant manager's.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWing View Post
Drat, I accidentally voted yes - but it should be apparent by my comment that this was definitely a mistake.
I changed your vote back for you.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #37
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Tips are built-in in Europe, and the service is terrible. The waiters have no incentive to do a good job.
Where? In Europe, staff is generaly less dependent on tips, but tips are not built-in in the bill. You are still "expected" to tip, but not as much as in North America, I guess. 20% would be considered a generous tip.

As for the OP idea, I think it's terrible. Serve decent meals for a fair price, have enough chefs/waiters so your guests don't spend their best years waiting for food and tips will come. I personaly do not care much for service, it's enough if its fast and efficient. I don't need the waiter to baby sit me asking me what I need every 10 seconds. The food is what I came for, save the "service" for the royalty.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #38
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
Just a question for those who are opposed to this idea - or to tipping in general really...would you support it if it was built into the price of the food instead? Like if the restaraunt was declared a tip-free place because they bumped the prices of their food up 20% to cover the tips?

I'm also interested in this concept as I was a server for many years and know a couple people in the restaurant industry as managers who have been thinking of similar ideas.
I like the idea of a servers (and other staffs) full wages being covered off in the price of the food, rather then almost entirely being subsidized by tips. That way you could actually tip as an indicator of good service, rather then being guilted into it.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #39
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a lot of older people who still think that 10% is the tipping standard. My parents, and my wife's parents would be in that group. Neither my dad or father-in-law would go to that restaurant if they knew that they had to tip 14% instead of the standard 10%. They'll both tip better if they felt the server went above and beyond their job though. My dad would to some serious complaining and discussing the moment he saw that 14% gratuity will be added to the bill.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #40
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think automatic tipping is an awful policy, if your intent is to try and get better feedback about customer experiences. As others have said, most people simply would pay the tip and leave feeling gypped not only by the poor service but also by the fact that they felt forced to pay the tip. Typical Calgarians are polite and proud, which means you won't receive more feedback but will instead will have more jaded customers who will be unlikely to return. If the food and service is truly excellent, then likely people won't care and will return regardless of the tip. But then, if the service is that good, do you really need a policy like this?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money , restaurants , service , tipping