Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default High ranking Canadian killed in Afghanistan

http://www.canada.com/news/Canadian+...614/story.html

The kid gloves have to come off now. I would expect that JTF2 is on the plane right now to start operation kill all of those f$$$ers

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

the kid gloves were on before? how is this any different than the 144 Canadian soldiers killed before him?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
http://www.canada.com/news/Canadian+...614/story.html

The kid gloves have to come off now. I would expect that JTF2 is on the plane right now to start operation kill all of those f$$$ers
Not to make light of what happened...but they're already dead...hence the suicide bomber.

I don't know who you'd kill anyways. There's so many of these "rogue" sects anyways its not like you're accomplishing anything.

RIP.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First and foremost they need to change the rules of engagment on vehicles.

If you don't stop at first warning there are no more warning shots, you light em up.

Second you start going out to where the insurgents live. Instead of patrolling and mainly doing defensive work with pre planned offensives. You go totally on the offense.

You start putting more pressure on Pakistan since there are still Taliban members moving back and forth across the border.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

CC you'd probably know the answer to this...

But I'm curious was a high ranking Canadian Forces official would be traveling with US troops? It doesn't mention any other Canadian casualties or troops in the article?
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you don't stop at first warning there are no more warning shots, you light em up.

Second you start going out to where the insurgents live. Instead of patrolling and mainly doing defensive work with pre planned offensives. You go totally on the offense.

You start putting more pressure on Pakistan since there are still Taliban members moving back and forth across the border.
While I understand the sensitive nature this war has created, not the I could die here in the desert understand, but the need to want to protect the people. This includes soldiers. I am not pro middle east war, but I do understand the need to protect everyone. I do not agree with this idea however. While I can not relate to this war or the pressure the soldiers are under I do understand that after nearly a DECADE of occupation these invaders of my land continue to point their guns at me I'm eventually not going to care what they think. My point is these people are most likely sick and tired of being treated like second class citizens in their own country. Everyone has a breaking point. If the military decides to forgo the rules of engagement then they will be no better then the terrorists they are trying to find. These rules are here for a reason. It does not matter if you are a General or a new recruit. You signed a contract, you joined a hazard county, and hazard county still has it's rules. You are suggesting to embrace a "no freedom policy if your brown/middle Eastern" mentality. You will lose all backing that you need and create more backlash and more deaths.

My point and I really don't think I made a good job making it is - Rules are there to protect the innocent, or the civilians. These rules existed in Vietnam or the Korean War and everybody looked the same then! They can't just open up on a car or in-surge on civilian homes just because they believe the mean people they are after live in the building as well. IT HAS TO BE PLANNED. There has to be evidence.

It really sucks when our friends and family die but in the end they signed up for it. Rules and all.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Clearly we gotta go Wiki-leaks on them!
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
CC you'd probably know the answer to this...

But I'm curious was a high ranking Canadian Forces official would be traveling with US troops? It doesn't mention any other Canadian casualties or troops in the article?
Remember that there are several U.S. units that are working very closely with Canadian units right now. The Col was due to take up a fairly high ranking position, the possibility was that he was going to be working on the Command Staff there.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
While I understand the sensitive nature this war has created, not the I could die here in the desert understand, but the need to want to protect the people. This includes soldiers. I am not pro middle east war, but I do understand the need to protect everyone. I do not agree with this idea however. While I can not relate to this war or the pressure the soldiers are under I do understand that after nearly a DECADE of occupation these invaders of my land continue to point their guns at me I'm eventually not going to care what they think. My point is these people are most likely sick and tired of being treated like second class citizens in their own country. Everyone has a breaking point. If the military decides to forgo the rules of engagement then they will be no better then the terrorists they are trying to find. These rules are here for a reason. It does not matter if you are a General or a new recruit. You signed a contract, you joined a hazard county, and hazard county still has it's rules. You are suggesting to embrace a "no freedom policy if your brown/middle Eastern" mentality. You will lose all backing that you need and create more backlash and more deaths.

My point and I really don't think I made a good job making it is - Rules are there to protect the innocent, or the civilians. These rules existed in Vietnam or the Korean War and everybody looked the same then! They can't just open up on a car or in-surge on civilian homes just because they believe the mean people they are after live in the building as well. IT HAS TO BE PLANNED. There has to be evidence.

It really sucks when our friends and family die but in the end they signed up for it. Rules and all.
If you look at what the Canadians and the troops have done there to this point, assisting in building infrastructure, building schools, loaning out medic to civilian clinics. Canadian Troops also came up with the program where they're actively living and working in the villages to better protect the civilians.

Lets not make it sound like the Taliban members are some heroic force trying to drive out invaders, lets look at their conduct against Civilians, lets look at their willingness to create civilian casualties by exploding car bombs in the middle of public squares, throwing acid in girls faces for the crimes of getting an education.

The Taliban are monsters who want to re-enact a extreme form of oppressive government.

The thing is that nobody has ever accused the Taliban of being stupid. they know the rules of engagement and take advantage of it. they know that troops have to give multiple warnings to vehicles approaching.

Its time to change the rules of engagement. Its time to find a way to throw them off balance.

Thats why I mentioned sending in JTF2 to gather intelligence, and hunt down insurgent leaders.

Its time that more international pressure was put on Pakistan and especially their ISI who has been playing both sides of the war for years.

Its time to stop waiting for these creeps to plant their bombs and strap on their vests or load up their cars with explosives.

Your fighting an enemy that seems to be well lead, by a bunch of monstrous zealots, its time to treat them that way.

We have a limited time to make a difference over there, we have a limited time to push them back.

The troops need a more aggressive ROE.

If a vehicle approaches at high speed you give him one warning from a distance, if he doesn't turn back, if he speeds up then you don't shoot over his head, you shoot right for the windshield.

If you locate one of their bases, you send in the troops grab as many prisoners as you can and kill the rest.

According to one Seal member during Vietnam, the problem was that the enemy didn't fear them and didn't hear footsteps in the jungle, we're making the same damn mistake here.

We're way to defensive, we're letting the Taliban insurgents dictate the terms and declare the battlefield, that can't go on.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm with you. If you're going to fight a war, then you fight it to win completely. They need to stop trying to fight a gentleman's war... there is no such thing. Either bring them all home or go balls to the walls.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nuke em, nuke em all and then take a piss on the glass that's left over.

Stupid sorry "so-called" war.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should we really be advertising the success of these attacks? I know they're going to do them anyway, but seeing something like this might add a little more to their fire no?

I personally don't want these animals to know that their attack killed a Colonel.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If there was a way to nuke the crap out of the Taliban and not kill any innocent civilians I'd be for it. The world would be a much better place without the Taliban or any extremist group fighting in the name of religion.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'm with you. If you're going to fight a war, then you fight it to win completely. They need to stop trying to fight a gentleman's war... there is no such thing. Either bring them all home or go balls to the walls.
This is something I wonder about.
Is this war just to keep the radical Islamics busy over there instead of here or do we really want to win?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you look at what the Canadians and the troops have done there to this point, assisting in building infrastructure, building schools, loaning out medic to civilian clinics. Canadian Troops also came up with the program where they're actively living and working in the villages to better protect the civilians.

Lets not make it sound like the Taliban members are some heroic force trying to drive out invaders, lets look at their conduct against Civilians, lets look at their willingness to create civilian casualties by exploding car bombs in the middle of public squares, throwing acid in girls faces for the crimes of getting an education.

The Taliban are monsters who want to re-enact a extreme form of oppressive government.

The thing is that nobody has ever accused the Taliban of being stupid. they know the rules of engagement and take advantage of it. they know that troops have to give multiple warnings to vehicles approaching.

Its time to change the rules of engagement. Its time to find a way to throw them off balance.

Thats why I mentioned sending in JTF2 to gather intelligence, and hunt down insurgent leaders.

Its time that more international pressure was put on Pakistan and especially their ISI who has been playing both sides of the war for years.

Its time to stop waiting for these creeps to plant their bombs and strap on their vests or load up their cars with explosives.

Your fighting an enemy that seems to be well lead, by a bunch of monstrous zealots, its time to treat them that way.

We have a limited time to make a difference over there, we have a limited time to push them back.

The troops need a more aggressive ROE.

If a vehicle approaches at high speed you give him one warning from a distance, if he doesn't turn back, if he speeds up then you don't shoot over his head, you shoot right for the windshield.

If you locate one of their bases, you send in the troops grab as many prisoners as you can and kill the rest.

According to one Seal member during Vietnam, the problem was that the enemy didn't fear them and didn't hear footsteps in the jungle, we're making the same damn mistake here.

We're way to defensive, we're letting the Taliban insurgents dictate the terms and declare the battlefield, that can't go on.
Well said and well thought out. I'm not going to pretend I know everything about the war there and I am out of my element. It is just a very thin line. Once a precedent is set, who is to say next time, in a different peace keeping mission some where, the same zero tolerance is used when it isn't needed.

And I am not saying the Taliban is a force for the heroic good! Anyone who forces abuse on the innocent is scum.

"Thats why I mentioned sending in JTF2 to gather intelligence, and hunt down insurgent leaders. "

These guys look bad ass!
Bad_Ass_ Link

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 05-19-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
If there was a way to nuke the crap out of the Taliban and not kill any innocent civilians I'd be for it. The world would be a much better place without the Taliban or any extremist group fighting in the name of religion.
Yes, if only this magical bomb existed.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #17
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
I think that nuke would take out Bush, his neo-con pals and probably 3/4 of the presidents the USA has ever had.