Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #901
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I just watched the new Dr. Strange movie... and so far, America Chavez seems like a brilliant character. I don't know anything about her beyond what was in the movie, but I would definitely watch a series about her. She just seems like the total opposite of Ms. Marvel... she still has that "goofy kid who doesn't have a clue" vibe, but she also has the "great power, great responsibility" thing to go with it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:50 PM   #902
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't want to go into the spoilers thread, but is Obi-wan Kenobi worth watching? I am seeing a lot of hate online and there are a backlog of shows out there that I want to watch this summer, Kids in the Hall, The Boys, Stranger Things and now Umbrella Academy. For Obi-wan, the story I want to see is the failed redemption arc of Vader reference in Return of the Jedi.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:26 PM   #903
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I don't want to go into the spoilers thread, but is Obi-wan Kenobi worth watching? I am seeing a lot of hate online and there are a backlog of shows out there that I want to watch this summer, Kids in the Hall, The Boys, Stranger Things and now Umbrella Academy. For Obi-wan, the story I want to see is the failed redemption arc of Vader reference in Return of the Jedi.
If you want to see Vader FSU and can handle a little eye rolling here and there, it's pretty sweet.

The finale is worth it.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #904
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was decent. I wouldn't say it's much of a failed redemption of Vader story. It's more about the redemption of Obi-wan.

There's really only one main character who is pretty awful. Leia is very good, as are Obi-wan and Vader for the most part. The story is nothing inspiring or especially intriguing. It feels like it's largely just filler story to the main SW arc, but then that's actually what it is so I think that's fine too.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:22 PM   #905
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That last episode of Ms.Marvel was great. Most interesting expansion of the Marvel universe that they've done so far. Though obviously not as high profile, that was better than either Shang-Chi or Black Panther imo in terms of being culturally expansive/inclusive. The whole portrayal of colonial separation of India and Pakistan and how it affected people was much more substantial than I would have expected from Marvel, and the relationships portrayed were touching. Best writing and acting of the series was in that episode involving the characters set in the past. I would guess that episode probably enlightened a lot of Marvel fans to a part of history they didn't know about, and that's pretty cool too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #906
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's a mixed bag of good and not so great that nails the landing with an epic finale that will make you glad you stuck it out through some cheesy writing in the middle chapters. The acting from the two leads is strong and does help to carry it through its weaker moments.

I'd say worth it for the feels, cameos and callbacks to the prequel films. You'll see very quickly which part was Disney/Kennedy hammering square peg into round hole.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-06-2022 at 10:34 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #907
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Really looking forward to this one:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #908
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That last episode of Ms.Marvel was great. Most interesting expansion of the Marvel universe that they've done so far. Though obviously not as high profile, that was better than either Shang-Chi or Black Panther imo in terms of being culturally expansive/inclusive. The whole portrayal of colonial separation of India and Pakistan and how it affected people was much more substantial than I would have expected from Marvel, and the relationships portrayed were touching. Best writing and acting of the series was in that episode involving the characters set in the past. I would guess that episode probably enlightened a lot of Marvel fans to a part of history they didn't know about, and that's pretty cool too.
I'm enjoying it, but I'm partial to the character in the first place.

However, as in many Marvel productions they have done the villains dirty. They literally flipped their script from a loving "help us" to "DO IT RIGHT NOW OR WE KILL EVERYONE" within 10 minutes of screen time.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #909
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm enjoying it, but I'm partial to the character in the first place.

However, as in many Marvel productions they have done the villains dirty. They literally flipped their script from a loving "help us" to "DO IT RIGHT NOW OR WE KILL EVERYONE" within 10 minutes of screen time.
Yeah, that's true. The villains are definitely a bit flat. There's nothing very complex or compelling about them or their ambitions at this point.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #910
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yeah, that's true. The villains are definitely a bit flat. There's nothing very complex or compelling about them or their ambitions at this point.
And if they win the world ends. Marvel really needs to figure out a way to make a compelling story without resorting to world ending scenarios every time. It's fine for Avengers level stuff, but for newbie heroes like Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel it feels forced
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #911
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a hilarious show on Disney called "The Science of Stupid." Basically a way to show people doing stupid stuff on camera and explaining why they don't work - like drifting, running on stilts, parkour, ATVing, etc.

Very painful to watch at times.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2022, 06:14 PM   #912
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Looks like AFV/Fail Army with a science twist. 7 seasons already,
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #913
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solar Opposites is back with a new episode every Wednesday.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #914
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:52 PM   #915
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're definitely showing some Blimp (Zeppelin!) love so its got that going for it!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #916
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want to watch the new Spiderman movie and Dr Strange movie. I have seen all Marvel content up to and including the Loki TV show (but not Hawkeye).

I haven't seen a spiderman movie in decades, since Mr. Poker himself was Spiderman.

How far back into the Spiderverse do I have to watch to enjoy these movies?

Does the new Dr. Strange need the Spiderman viewing first?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #917
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Dr. Strange requires you to have seen the most-recent Spider-man. Wandavision is more-important for the back story than Spider-man.

The most-recent Spider-man would benefit from having seen the previous live-action Spider-man films back to Tobey Maguire or at least a familiarity with Spider-man's enemies from the comics, but I haven't seen any of the Andrew Garfield ones and slept through most of the third Maguire film and didn't have any problems following along.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #918
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't think Dr. Strange requires you to have seen the most-recent Spider-man. Wandavision is more-important for the back story than Spider-man.

The most-recent Spider-man would benefit from having seen the previous live-action Spider-man films back to Tobey Maguire or at least a familiarity with Spider-man's enemies from the comics, but I haven't seen any of the Andrew Garfield ones and slept through most of the third Maguire film and didn't have any problems following along.

ohh from Trailers I thought Strange's movie had implications from actions in the Spiderman movie, with the multi verse and all that stuff
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #919
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
ohh from Trailers I thought Strange's movie had implications from actions in the Spiderman movie, with the multi verse and all that stuff
It does, but you pretty much already know all the backstory you need from the trailers.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:39 AM   #920
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched episode 1 of She-Hulk. It wasn't terrible or anything, its meant to be a Comedy Marvel show, but it wasn't laugh out loud, though the Captain America theory was good.

I'm still not a fan of the animation effects, they do look a bit 1990's.

They did establish early that there are going to be lots of 4th wall breaking.

The first episode was an origin story, and that's expected.

On a real plus the main actors are very solid though I found myself disliking Smart Hulk

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: