Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #341
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That was a great trailer.

Now that song is going to be stuck in my head for another couple weeks.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #342
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
This season is my favorite so far. Hard to say though, the first one was so unique.

I feel like they're pulling story cues from the Civil War to Endgame arc in the MCU. The heroes are scattered, some in hiding, some presumed dead. A great threat to the city and world has emerged and against great odds they must unite and save the world again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in, love it, and the writing is great. Some of it just seems familiar.
Stranger Things has paid homage to/stolen from so many different types of source material....but End Game? It's really nothing like that. Yes, they have a team of people who have to come together to fight a bad guy. End Game did not come up with that concept.

There's definitely a lot of things about ST that seem familiar, and many of those are purposeful. It feels a lot like It, Nightmare on Elm Street, Aliens, the Goonies, etc...:

https://strangerthings.fandom.com/wi...%26_references

The Marvel comparison is just kind of odd.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #343
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
This season is my favorite so far. Hard to say though, the first one was so unique.

I feel like they're pulling story cues from the Civil War to Endgame arc in the MCU. The heroes are scattered, some in hiding, some presumed dead. A great threat to the city and world has emerged and against great odds they must unite and save the world again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in, love it, and the writing is great. Some of it just seems familiar.
I think it has more to do with how you tell a story with this many characters. They've expanded the cast so much you couldn't have them all in the same place for the entire series. Giving them different storylines that drive towards the same finale helps give all the characters enough screen time, probably helps with production and lets them tell a few different stories within the season.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #344
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lol....for me it just shows how much effort they put into getting all of the details they did correct. If your biggest gripe is an appliance, that only people in the appliance industry would know about, they are doing a lot of things right.
My biggest gripe was talking IP addresses and Internet in 1984.

Wouldn't the only people who knew about that at the time in the US military?
Old 06-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #345
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Yeah, I think if they left it off at BBSs and maybe war dialling or something, it would have been a lot more believable.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #346
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, I think if they left it off at BBSs and maybe war dialling or something, it would have been a lot more believable.
I first logged into the BBSs in 1991 so I doubt they would have been around in 1984.

5 minutes to download a nudie and you never knew what you were going to get...
Old 06-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #347
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just presumed that whole scene was to make her seem like an uber-nerd among normal nerds, so much that she's way ahead on IP addresses and Internet that she's basically speaking a different language to them.

I think it worked if that's what they were going for.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #348
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I first logged into the BBSs in 1991 so I doubt they would have been around in 1984.

They existed, but we’re talking 300 baud stuff. There was literally just one or two in Kelowna, but they gained more wide spread use in the 90s for a few years and then around 95-96 there was actual dialup internet and eventually they started dying off.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #349
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

This season takes place in 1986. Still not likely, but less not likely.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #350
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeaaaaah, Suzie's scene was a bunch of technobabble that made no sense... She was talking about "geolocating using the IP address" and that's just silly: she direct-dialed the computer using a phone number. She was not using the internet, such as it existed in 1986, to connect to that system.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:57 AM   #351
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

There was a photocopied one page list of BBS numbers going around Calgary by the mid-80s for the hardcore geeks. My 2400 baud US Robotics modem spent many an evening connected to one or another of these .

Internet though? You could get onto Usenet or use Gopher by the end of the 80s or early 90s, if you joined CUUG (Calgary Unix Users Group) or had access through the U of C, but there definitely weren't any home users with IP addresses in 1986. They should pay me to vet their IT talk in future.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:10 AM   #352
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fidonet was around earlier than Usenet, I think. I remember sysops asking for donations to help pay their phone bills for uploading and downloading all of those messages.

Google archived a bunch of that, embarrassingly enough. So if you want to submit your letters to penpals from the K12 chats about Star Trek or how you hate grade 10 chemistry for one of those “Mortified Guide…” shows, there is a treasure trove of material.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:01 PM   #353
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, those were a long final two episodes. Not sure if they needed to be that long either.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:33 PM   #354
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Damn, those were a long final two episodes. Not sure if they needed to be that long either.

Episode 9 felt like it dragged a bit near the end. But overall I thought those last 2 episodes were excellent.

Spoiler!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:46 PM   #355
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Conan's sword!

That was a fun couple hours. Vecna is such a good villain with a great design I love his giant monster hand.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:08 PM   #356
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

While they could have cut down the finale a bit, I immensely enjoyed the final two episodes.

I loved the reveals around Vecna and all the actors absolutely killed it. I could praise each performance all day, but Sadie Sink, Caleb McLaughlin, and Joseph Quinn in particular were spectacular.

It does feel like we just watched the Infinity War of the series and now we're heading into Endgame for season 5. It's going to be a long wait.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:02 AM   #357
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loved it!!!
NOISIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #358
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

There were a number of brilliant, emotional scenes during the final two. However, the season suffered from a bit of a Return of the King ending; the final episode felt like it dragged on about 30 minutes too long.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #359
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it have killed Nancy to shoot him in the head? i mean how many shots do you need?
Old 07-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #360
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Me and Mr. PeanutButter are going to open a leather jacket and Michael Myers emporium before halloween and make a killing!!!
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripTDR For This Useful Post: