Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #181
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, bump because it's time to figure this out for us.

We're on the old Easymax plan with enmax.
EasyMax: Floating Electricity
EasyMax: Floating Gas + 47˘/GJ Transaction Fee

Paying around $250 a month for a family of 2 in a ~2000sq ft place.

Looks like we use around 625KWh a month of electricity, and 6.5-7 GJ of gas.

Water is around 12m3 a month - with the other city services (garbage, drainage, sewer) it makes up $102.06 of the ~$250 bill.

the "My Energy IQ" thing says we are sort of in the middle between efficient homes and similar homes. Kind of odd - we have all LED lighting, super efficient furnance, super efficient appliances, etc.

Anyway, ATCO has been sending some pamphlets and their plan for a 3 year term with variable rates is:

Electricity: Market + $0.01/kWh
Gas: Market + $0.89/GJ
Admin : $3.50 flat per site.

Enmax is also pushing hard to switch to the new, non-easymax program. I assume that makes it a worse deal, or else they wouldnt want us to switch.

I'm finding with all of the admin and other fees it is very difficult to do any sort of flat compare. Anyone whipped up an excel chart that you could input historical rates, admin fees, and other charges with the various providers and it would tell you what the best options were at least historically?

This shouldn't be so difficult to compare :/
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #182
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
So, bump because it's time to figure this out for us.

We're on the old Easymax plan with enmax.
EasyMax: Floating Electricity
EasyMax: Floating Gas + 47˘/GJ Transaction Fee

Paying around $250 a month for a family of 2 in a ~2000sq ft place.

Looks like we use around 625KWh a month of electricity, and 6.5-7 GJ of gas.

Water is around 12m3 a month - with the other city services (garbage, drainage, sewer) it makes up $102.06 of the ~$250 bill.

the "My Energy IQ" thing says we are sort of in the middle between efficient homes and similar homes. Kind of odd - we have all LED lighting, super efficient furnance, super efficient appliances, etc.

Anyway, ATCO has been sending some pamphlets and their plan for a 3 year term with variable rates is:

Electricity: Market + $0.01/kWh
Gas: Market + $0.89/GJ
Admin : $3.50 flat per site.

Enmax is also pushing hard to switch to the new, non-easymax program. I assume that makes it a worse deal, or else they wouldnt want us to switch.

I'm finding with all of the admin and other fees it is very difficult to do any sort of flat compare. Anyone whipped up an excel chart that you could input historical rates, admin fees, and other charges with the various providers and it would tell you what the best options were at least historically?

This shouldn't be so difficult to compare :/
http://callmepower.ca/en/ab/compare/...-direct-energy

According to this, they essentially say Enmax hands down for electricity and gas based on 2014/2015 info. I am unsure of the validity of this claim.

And floating > Fixed they say

Also something something about dual fuel customers should use Direct Energy for a portion? IDK.

I'm 100% Enmax purely for convenience purposes. Yeah I bch and moan about the cost and fees, but the city gets this money vs some corp in Texas... so I guess it's less bad even if I paid a little bit more?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #183
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm 100% Enmax purely for convenience purposes. Yeah I bch and moan about the cost and fees, but the city gets this money vs some corp in Texas... so I guess it's less bad even if I paid a little bit more?
I have a buddy who works for Enmax and he says it's a horribly run organization, and the amount of taxpayer money they waste continues to shock him after 3 years of being there. They just don't give a #### at all, they waste materials, waste man hours, overstaff, it's all unionized, takes forever to get anything done, you can check out whatever tools you want whenever you want and basically just take them.

The more you know!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #184
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I have a buddy who works for Enmax and he says it's a horribly run organization, and the amount of taxpayer money they waste continues to shock him after 3 years of being there. They just don't give a #### at all, they waste materials, waste man hours, overstaff, it's all unionized, takes forever to get anything done, you can check out whatever tools you want whenever you want and basically just take them.

The more you know!
Yup. I knew that. But sadly, still better than sending money down south of the border.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #185
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how is the upcoming Carbon tax going to impact rates in the province? Any guesses?
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #186
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
So how is the upcoming Carbon tax going to impact rates in the province? Any guesses?
It's going up for sure. The ndp said in their budget it will be a little over $1 per gigajoule.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #187
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's for gas. You will then also have a "hidden" increase for electricity. I think the only way you could figure that out is find out the percentage of Alberta's gas powered electricity and coal and do some rough numbers on it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #188
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe they are introducing a carbon tax at a time of economic downturn. What silly people in government.

Her response to people complaining about gasoline prices was to "change your car". What is the response to people struggling to pay the gas bill to heat their home and cook their food? "oh, just go freeze to death you poor #######"
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #189
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since it seems like 75% of my bill is admin type items, and only 25% is actually connected to the actual price of gas / electricity, I doubt I would see much change in my bills going forward. I wonder if this would apply to most.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #190
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I can't believe they are introducing a carbon tax at a time of economic downturn. What silly people in government.

Her response to people complaining about gasoline prices was to "change your car". What is the response to people struggling to pay the gas bill to heat their home and cook their food? "oh, just go freeze to death you poor #######"
She also said you can save money by getting a high efficiency toilet.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #191
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Since it seems like 75% of my bill is admin type items, and only 25% is actually connected to the actual price of gas / electricity, I doubt I would see much change in my bills going forward. I wonder if this would apply to most.
only $15/month more in heating. Another $20/month more in electricity. 4cents/liter more added to gas prices next year, another 6cents/liter more the year after. A little more for alchohol. But if you're low enough income you'll get a cheque half way through the year.

The ndp says it's revenue neutral so it will go back to albertans and subsidize wind and solar.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #192
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bumping this to see if someone with more insight & knowledge can help me.. and possibly others out.

What is recommended today? Fixed or Variable for both electricity & gas.

Also, who can would you recommend? Enmax or ATCO?

I got an offer for a month free with ATCO and they offer a $50 yearly credit but wondering if it s worth switching based on opinions of others? I am clueless about the rates... they seem more of less the same.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by redmile04; 08-27-2018 at 11:38 AM.
redmile04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redmile04 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #193
DatSOOKin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Bumping this to see if someone with more insight & knowledge can help me.. and possibly others out.

What is recommended today? Fixed or Variable for both electricity & gas.

Also, who can would you recommend? Enmax or ATCO?

I got an offer for a month free with ATCO and they offer a $50 yearly credit but wondering if it s worth switching based on opinions of others? I am clueless about the rates... they seem more of less the same.

Thanks in advance!
Also curious about the current state of affairs, as I will be moving into my first place where the utilities aren't part of the rent. I'll have to set it up on Saturday and hoping to get some insight into pros/cons of the two companies and plan types.
DatSOOKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #194
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The optimal if using Enmax is to get on the RRO rate for electricity because you can see its rate at the start of a month from http://www.auc.ab.ca/Pages/current-rates-electric.aspx. Then for that month, just select whichever of RRO or fixed is less using your online account. ATCO has lower admin fees but doesn't do RRO in Calgary so you're more exposed with floating rates.

The floating rate for natural gas has been much cheaper pretty much since fracking became big.

Last edited by accord1999; 08-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #195
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well my one year term from atco promotion is up. What current deals do we have out there. Atco is offering $50 credit if I lock into 3 year term. I saw direct energy was free Alexa or security camera.

What is this years best deal?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #196
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Well my one year term from atco promotion is up. What current deals do we have out there. Atco is offering $50 credit if I lock into 3 year term. I saw direct energy was free Alexa or security camera.
ATCO has a new 3-year contract offer for 3˘/kWh for electricity and $3/GJ for natural gas might be good. If you're a big electricity user (ie mining at home, electric heating, big house with airconditioning etc) it can be a substantial savings as well as protect you from the significant price fluctuations of the past summer.

The downside is that it's a real contract with a pretty severe cancellation fee of $300 within the first year and declining by $100 each year.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #197
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
ATCO has a new 3-year contract offer for 3˘/kWh for electricity and $3/GJ for natural gas might be good. If you're a big electricity user (ie mining at home, electric heating, big house with airconditioning etc) it can be a substantial savings as well as protect you from the significant price fluctuations of the past summer.

The downside is that it's a real contract with a pretty severe cancellation fee of $300 within the first year and declining by $100 each year.
Are all the other fees the same as Enmax for that contract?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #198
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post

Do you have to take both the electricity and the gas? That Gas price is higher than anytime in the last two years. So if you are at 1000kwh per month and 10 GJ you end up paying around $20-30 less for electricity but $15- $20 more for gas. You’d really have to check your historic usage rates
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #199
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Enmax has a referral deal right now where any new accounts get a $50 Amazon gift card, DM me if you want the link
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #200
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like direct energy’s deal isn’t great at all. Natural gas and electricity higher than atco. So by looking at the enmax chart gas is around 2 cents? But you add .99 cent transaction fee that puts you right around 3 or am I reading this wrong

Electricity
6.19 ˘/Kwh
+
Natural Gas
$3.69/Gj
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electricity , enmax