Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #101
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alessia Cara is a massively underrated singing talent and IMO she’s up there with Ariana Grande and Mariah Carey in pure vocal range. But unlike those two, Alessia actually keeps her clothes on

If anyone has ever tried to karaoke Alessia’s Moana song, you’ll quickly find how stupid you sound when you try to emulate her as her rifts as it’s just too challenging to do. Even the voice actress’ in movie version of the song, who is a decent singer by her own right, sounds tiers below Alessia’s version

If you guys like that musical impressions clip, here’s her doing more

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #102
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
One thing that isn't talked about much though is that music keeps adding songs decade after decade while having finite chords and lyrics. You can really see it today when listening to new music.

Yes, there was always bad music and good music, but it gets increasingly harder and harder to create original music that doesn't infringe on other songs and lyrics and it becomes more noticeable with each passing decade, imo.
The chord progressions and structure of songs are recycled in hit after hit. The differences are become more and more subtle and I chalk that up to artists not really trying (musically), except to fit into the mold of what's already out there, and also certainly pressure from their labels to put out content, so they just pick something out of the cookie cutter and focus on using their vocals to separate themselves.

On a guitar there are plenty of variations of chords. The Beatles were well known for making their ingenious transitions between minor and major chord scales within the same song. Now its 3, sometimes even 2 chords except for a brief bridge, and sometimes not even that. I think I've listened to entire EDM albums that used the same beat for 8 or 9 tracks. Which works for that genre, but I guess people aren't as picky as they once were to not notice that or care.

You don't see that level of ingenuity from a musical perspective from artists any more, instead now they piggyback on samples of those old songs that captured all the magic and they put their own uninteresting trap beat over it and sing in that way that makes it sound like they're drifting off to sleep.

Music had its good and bad from every decade and I'll be the first to say there was very little to choose from in the 80s that doesn't sound cringe on a listen today, but the variety and musical craftsmanship has unquestionably deteriorated. And that may very well have to do with the accessibility of music and ease to release it to a wide audience.

It's more sad than anything. Around the turn of the millenuim there was so much more to choose from and so much branching out with genres and sounds compared to now. And each of those sounds had their own spot on the radio, whether it be on a show or dedicated station.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #103
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Few things worse than "music today" guys whose primary complaint seems to boil down to the fact that they can't find a radio station that gives them exactly what they want.

Internet is a big place. Great music isn't spoon-fed to you anymore, but it's everywhere. Lots of great stuff with lots of "craftsmanship."

The only thing sad about it is that these bands don't often hit it big cause there's less and less "big" to hit. But there's nothing sad about the state of talent. That's complete nonsense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #104
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pepsi, I think you need some friends.

You come off like a bitter, genuine a-hole with your condescending remarks. Get a life.

Or, you know, contribute to the conversation and stop following me around just to rail on my opinions. You're the pro-opinion guy after all. Can't let me have mine though, huh?
Old 06-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #105
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine working with him.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #106
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Imagine working with him.
I've been told it's excruciating, like pulling your finger nails off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Pepsi, I think you need some friends.

You come off like a bitter, genuine a-hole with your condescending remarks. Get a life.

Or, you know, contribute to the conversation and stop following me around just to rail on my opinions. You're the pro-opinion guy after all. Can't let me have mine though, huh?
Sorry, what does this have to do with the quality of music available today vs. 40-50 years ago? Is "you need some friends" and "get a life" a couple interesting bands I should check out?

Open to more cool suggestions if you've got them. No EDM stuff though, not my thing.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #107
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I've always wondered what field PepsiFree works in.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #108
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

July Talk is good too.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #109
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry, what does this have to do with the quality of music available today vs. 40-50 years ago? Is "you need some friends" and "get a life" a couple interesting bands I should check out?

Open to more cool suggestions if you've got them. No EDM stuff though, not my thing.
I’ve been on a Whiskey Myers kick. Southern rock/country.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #110
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

A drag show in the middle of the day? I’m curious to see how this goes over.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/nicky-dol...unch-1.5964851
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #111
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
A drag show in the middle of the day? I’m curious to see how this goes over.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/nicky-dol...unch-1.5964851
Probably the same as the one that has been going on at cowboys or wildhorse for the last however many years?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #112
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been to Stampede since Bob Hartley was the Flames' coach. It will be my wife's first time as a new arrival to Calgary. Anything noteworthy to see when we go?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #113
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I haven't been to Stampede since Bob Hartley was the Flames' coach. It will be my wife's first time as a new arrival to Calgary. Anything noteworthy to see when we go?
Grandstand show

Just walking the grounds is enjoyable. Eating junk and enjoying the sun
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #114
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's more sad than anything. Around the turn of the millenuim there was so much more to choose from and so much branching out with genres and sounds compared to now. And each of those sounds had their own spot on the radio, whether it be on a show or dedicated station.
Just curious - Where do you seek your music out? There's a multitude of ways to find great music, but if you're just looking on the radio, you're gonna have a bad time. Maybe this needs to be separated out of the Stampede thread, but I feel like you could use some help finding good music, as its easier than ever to find it.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 05:51 PM   #115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Just curious - Where do you seek your music out? There's a multitude of ways to find great music, but if you're just looking on the radio, you're gonna have a bad time. Maybe this needs to be separated out of the Stampede thread, but I feel like you could use some help finding good music, as its easier than ever to find it.
I know where to find music that I enjoy. It's obviously a very subjective thing and that needs to be noted. I just find that music that is highlighted/prominent in our culture these days is often a poor representation of the talent that does exist, and I don't know why we promote music that doesn't tell a story, or is technically complex, or interesting, but instead the recycled crap makes us look like basic b####s.

What's up with instagram/tiktok samples that everybody uses and circulate? I might just not understand the platforms but to me it's awful music and makes whatever the clip is unwatchable a lot of times.

Why are we promoting (imo) the worst of what's out there?

I don't listen to radio music anymore. 15-20 years ago though I would religiously because it was actually decent at the time. Everything mainstream has gone downhill in recent years and stations are featuring less and less variety and the amount of plays kills anything that the few good songs that come through have going for them because it makes people sick of them after a couple weeks of rotations.

The impression I've gotten is that now we promote artists who have the biggest social media buzz (there's even a social media countdown on the radio now) regardless of the quality of the music that they put out. So artists who are most influential due to their lifestyle and name are the ones getting rotations, rather than the songs (regardless of the popularity of the source) that are the best critically recieved.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-27-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #116
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The stuff that gets promoted on the radio most is the most popular/sells the most. A lot of times it is stuff that is requested often.

Popular music is popular because a lot of people like listening to it. There’s a science to creating it as much as there is an art. Post Malone might not be as technically interesting as Black MIDI, but there is value in both and both serve different needs and wants when it comes to enjoying music.

It’s like movies. Does it suck that every second film is a Marvel blockbuster sequel? Sure. But that’s also not made for me as the audience, and even then if you appreciate movies they can be entertaining and have value in their own right. You’re getting a different experience than Titane, but I’m not going to complain because my options are Doctor Strange and Titane instead of just Titane. Who cares what the masses enjoy most if there’s still stuff that scratches the itch for you?

It’s just kind of narrow to say the overall quality sucks. So much great stuff everywhere. Just gotta look.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #117
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people listen to the radio?
Old 06-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #118
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Yes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 07:20 PM   #119
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I listen to CBC Radio 2 (102.1) and CKUA (93.7) when on the road.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #120
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Acting stupid only works when you're young.

Try Spotify, or any of the other streaming services. They all have free trials.

By definition, you will not find a lot of music appealing, because of personal preference.

Try out playlists, try out the "radios" they have. Start with the bands you do like, there will be suggestions for similar bands.