Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #281
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I didn't see this, but how is that even wrong? If the clue is as you typed it (to either of these two points) and the guy answered one of the two, isn't that right?

Anyway...I'm not watching these days because I can't stand Bialik.
No, the measurement is to either of the two points, but the clue is asking for both.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/cgpeHKNVPXc?t=769

I don't have any problem with the timing of her "no". She gives it enough time that it's clear he is done speaking and isn't just struggling to think of the second thing. If she waited longer or gave some indication that his answer was incomplete, that would be unfair to the other contestants, especially for a $2000 question.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #282
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't see this, but how is that even wrong? If the clue is as you typed it (to either of these two points) and the guy answered one of the two, isn't that right?
You can measure amplitude of a wave by measuring between the centreline and either the crest (the top) or trough (the bottom) of the wave, but the clue was asking for both. The clue was basically a fill-in-the-blank, and the contestant only filled in one.

EDIT: Oops, getbak answered above. I suppose that's what I get for walking away from my desk mid-reply and clicking "submit" when I got back from Timmy Ho's.

EDIT2: The contestant's half-answer is especially blatant given there was an animated graphic showing both measurements against a waveform. They were looking for both peaks, not just one.

Last edited by timun; 05-20-2022 at 01:29 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 09:48 PM   #283
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a highly unimpressive 5 day run, but she's into the tourney.
But I'll give her credit, she is really smart in Final jeopardy betting.
She's gonna get thumped in the tournament though.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:09 PM   #284
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

She definitely studied wagering strategies before going on and it paid off. She'll get crushed in the TOC, but making it in this stacked season is already a win

Felt bad for that other woman missing that huge DD bet. She was trying to go for the runaway and I respect the move
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #285
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't watched since Bialik came back
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #286
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

she did it again! I think that's the 2nd time she's won by 2 bucks.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:47 PM   #287
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
she did it again! I think that's the 2nd time she's won by 2 bucks.

An amazing third time by $2 out of 6 wins.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homestand For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 12:37 AM   #288
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It must be one of the strangest 5+ win streaks ever. She actually could have four wins by $2, but yesterday's first place player over bet in FJ.

She has only been in first going into FJ once out of the six games.
First win ($2): Second place going into FJ. Only correct response in FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if first place made a cover bet and got it wrong. Oddly, didn't bet enough to cover the third place player if they had both been correct -- luckily for her, he wasn't.

Second win: Run-away first place going in FJ. Only correct response in FJ but didn't bet anything. Could have bet up to $799 and still been guaranteed the win.

Third win ($2): Third place going into FJ. Triple-stumper FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if all three were wrong in FJ and first place made a cover bet over second place.

Fourth win: Second place going into FJ. First place was ruled wrong/incomplete in FJ, second and third were both correct. Bet enough to win by $2 if it had been a triple-stumper.

Fifth win: Second place going into FJ. Triple-stumper FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if first place made a cover bet and got it wrong. First place bet more than necessary, so she won by $201.

Sixth win ($2): Third place going into FJ. Only correct response in FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if first place made a cover bet and got it wrong and second place bet enough and was also wrong.

In 6 games, her 12 collective opponents have only had one correct response in FJ.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #289
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It must be one of the strangest 5+ win streaks ever. She actually could have four wins by $2, but yesterday's first place player over bet in FJ.

She has only been in first going into FJ once out of the six games.
First win ($2): Second place going into FJ. Only correct response in FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if first place made a cover bet and got it wrong. Oddly, didn't bet enough to cover the third place player if they had both been correct -- luckily for her, he wasn't.

Second win: Run-away first place going in FJ. Only correct response in FJ but didn't bet anything. Could have bet up to $799 and still been guaranteed the win.

Third win ($2): Third place going into FJ. Triple-stumper FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if all three were wrong in FJ and first place made a cover bet over second place.

Fourth win: Second place going into FJ. First place was ruled wrong/incomplete in FJ, second and third were both correct. Bet enough to win by $2 if it had been a triple-stumper.

Fifth win: Second place going into FJ. Triple-stumper FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if first place made a cover bet and got it wrong. First place bet more than necessary, so she won by $201.

Sixth win ($2): Third place going into FJ. Only correct response in FJ. Bet enough to win by $2 if first place made a cover bet and got it wrong and second place bet enough and was also wrong.

In 6 games, her 12 collective opponents have only had one correct response in FJ.
100% my strategy for a run if I ever make it on the show!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #290
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 games is an impressive run, especially with her average coryat only being $9,314 (For reference, Amy: $26,946, Matt: $27,913). Good wagering strategy + being solid at Final Jeopardy + a little luck can go a long way.

She's basically the anti-Holzhauer with her style of play

Last edited by mile; 06-23-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #291
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

For any of you who are taking a break from the show because of Mayim, Ken is back to host the last two weeks of the season starting today.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #292
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much better
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #293
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never seen a tiebreaker before? I thought for a tie the two contestants both came back?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #294
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never seen a tiebreaker before? I thought for a tie the two contestants both came back?
We've had a few of them the last year. Not sure if it was always the sudden death thing, but it is exciting.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #295
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this article, the tiebreaker rule was introduced in 2014, but not officially announced until 2016, and the first tiebreaker didn't happen until 2018: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/1/...-rules-changes

When they do happen, it's usually because two players were tied at the end of Double Jeopardy and both bet it all and were right. Last night's was a rare tie caused by what I assume was a math error on the part of the leader going into Final.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:00 AM   #296
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Not gonna lie, doing the math wrong in Final Jeopardy and losing the tie breaker is one of my biggest fears.

At least I'm an idiot and would never make it that far!

That said, I find the tie breaker in Jeopardy would be like a one round shootout in the NHL, kinda anti-climatic. You just battled it out for 20 minutes through two rounds of strategy, wagers, etc... then one question, with a buzzer. No suspense really.

As I think out loud, perhaps a second round of final Jeopardy between those tied. But that wouldn't necessarily fit in the 22 minute time limit.

I guess this is the best option without bringing back both victors.

Oh, maybe Hunger Games/Game of Thrones style trial by combat... winner advances.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #297
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't going to make some people happy...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1551686171704508417
Old 07-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #298
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh.

It should be Mayim hosting Celebrity J! and Ken doing syndicated.

Since Mayim's sitcom got renewed for a full season, I'm hoping she hosts very little of the syndicated version.
If it's more of what we saw this season I think fans will be very frustrated.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #299
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say that Mayim has gotten a lot better than when she started and she is still terrible, but now at least tolerable.

What I dont understand is why they are so dead-set on her.

All of the other potential hosts got a week. And even that is disingenuous because they film a week's worth of episodes in a day, so they got 1 day to figure it out.

No other potential guest host got a chance to really get into any kind of groove while Bialik's been gifted over a year.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #300
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t hate Mayim but still don’t understand how playing a nerd on TV is considered a qualification to host. Ken’s experience and knowledge is perfect for keeping the game moving and providing insight into the answers.

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is