Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #541
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is on order from the library.
can't wait!

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
A SORTABIOGRAPHY
By ERIC IDLE

From the ingenious comic performer, founding member of Monty Python, and creator of Spamalot, comes an absurdly funny memoir of unparalleled wit and heartfelt candor

We know him best for his unforgettable roles on Monty Python—from the Flying Circus to The Meaning of Life. Now, Eric Idle reflects on the meaning of his own life in this entertaining memoir that takes us on a remarkable journey from his childhood in an austere boarding school through his successful career in comedy, television, theater, and film. Coming of age as a writer and comedian during the Sixties and Seventies, Eric stumbled into the crossroads of the cultural revolution and found himself rubbing shoulders with the likes of George Harrison, David Bowie, and Robin Williams, all of whom became dear lifelong friends. With anecdotes sprinkled throughout involving other close friends and luminaries such as Mike Nichols, Mick Jagger, Steve Martin, Paul Simon, Lorne Michaels, and many more, as well as John Cleese and the Pythons themselves, Eric captures a time of tremendous creative output with equal parts hilarity and heart. In Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, named for the song he wrote for Life of Brian and which has since become the number one song played at funerals in the UK, he shares the highlights of his life and career with the kind of offbeat humor that has delighted audiences for five decades. The year 2019 marks the fiftieth anniversary of The Pythons, and Eric is marking the occasion with this hilarious memoir chock full of behind-the-scenes stories from a high-flying life featuring everyone from Princess Leia to Queen Elizabeth.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #542
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety, by Jimmy Carter
Haven't totally finished this yet, but really enjoying it so far. More striking than the events of Carter's life is the humble and matter of fact tone with which he tells it. His life was full of accomplishment and rare experiences, but he tells it without any hint of bravado or self promotion. It is an alternative universe approach to what we see in current politics and media. No sense of self-promotion or personal brand, just a strong sense of character. I admire a lot of what Carter has done with his life and how he chooses to share that experience.

Edit: Actually found the last 40% or so to be a bit dry, but still a hell of a contrast with what we see in American politicians now.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 10-26-2018 at 02:31 PM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #543
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

China's Second Continent, How a Million Migrants are Building a New Empire in Africa, by Howard W. French
Just part way through this, but it is awesome so far. Very real and very raw. The author is a NYT correspondent who has spent many years in both Shanghai and in African countries, so he is very familiar with both. The first hand stories of experiences of how Chinese are entering and taking advantage of opportunity in Africa are fascinating, and far from Western approaches or thinking. Based on what I've read so far I would highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in the real interaction of tough Chinese entrepreneurs in frontier developing markets.

Edit: The more I get into this, the more I think this is great reading for anyone with an interest in global economics, history or the growing influence of China. So many of the stories do a great job of illustrating how Chinese thinking works in business and how emerging markets are formed in an atmosphere of uncertainty. Very cool book.

Last edited by JohnnyB; 10-28-2018 at 06:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 PM   #544
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This book is a, um, beast. 600 pages.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #545
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything Under the Heavens: How the Past Helps Shape China's Push for Global Power, by Howard W. French
I enjoyed his book on Chinese migrants to Africa so much that I picked up this one on how Chinese history has shaped China's outlook on its role in the world, rightful role in the world and approach to managing and growing expanding global influence. I consider myself pretty familiar with this topic, but I find I'm learning a lot from this book. Another excellent pick up so far. People in international business or politics from the West would do well to read this in understanding China.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #546
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

One book you might enjoy JohnnyB, given your other readings is a book called "How Asia Works". It's quite interesting and on the same kind of topics as a couple of your others seem to be (although I haven't read those ones...yet!)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #547
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually on my reading list and I may get to it this month after I get back into some more tech, business and education reading for a while. I also have The Silk Roads, A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan to get through first. It has come pretty highly recommended to me and fits the same kind of vein. I think you mentioned in another thread that you were coming to China and practice Mandarin. Maybe that book would be of interest to you too.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #548
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That's actually on my reading list and I may get to it this month after I get back into some more tech, business and education reading for a while. I also have The Silk Roads, A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan to get through first. It has come pretty highly recommended to me and fits the same kind of vein. I think you mentioned in another thread that you were coming to China and practice Mandarin. Maybe that book would be of interest to you too.
I read The Silk Roads a year or two ago (I can’t recall) and it might be one of the best books I’ve ever read. I just loved it and he has a book coming out now called “The New Silk Roads” that I will definitely pick up!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #549
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

NPR’s Book Concierge

Our Guide To 2018’s Great Reads

https://apps.npr.org/best-books-2018...1L8vLFrGFEoE6c
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #550
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was buying presents last night and found this. I had to grab it:

Graphic novel written by Anthony Bourdain and Joel Rose, short horror stories based around food and Japanese legends, with a different artist for each story. Can't wait to start it.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #551
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any Hemingway fans on here? I am in the middle of The Sun also Rises, I think its good. Mostly because I enjoy books that move quickly and are not too dense. The only other book of his I have read is The Dangerous Summer.

Anyone have any recommendations of which of his to read next?

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 12-11-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: grammar!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #552
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I read The Old Man and the Sea and The Snows of Kilimanjaro this year. The latter was a collection of short stories. I'm not much of a fan (can't pinpoint why exactly) but they were a decent way to pass the time and I'd imagine if you're a fan, you'd like them.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #553
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'll be getting this:

just came in for me from the Library and I started it last night.
was only going to read a couple of chapters before bed and finally forced myself to put it down after 150 pages.

good stuff.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #554
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Algorithms to Live by, by Tom Grifiths & Brian Christian
This was decent. I enjoy books that allow to take different logical, scientific or mathematical approaches to looking at parts of life that are typically taken for granted. This book does some of that, but it in the end I felt it was a bit boring as there was too much plain exposition and not enough really enlightening insights from application of the thinking tools included.

High Growth Handbook, by Elad Gil
Really good. Lots of very practical wisdom in this book for business growth and managing things like how to deal with board members and all sorts of other issues. It is just a series of interviews with people who have experience, so not a great story or anything, but a good reference point.

Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior, by Chogyam Trungpa
Certainly among the most influential books of my life. I went through this again for the umpteenth time recently. Basically a book that provides a totally secular approach to practices of meditation and dealing with life that come out of Buddhist tradition but are provided without dependence upon any religious justification.

Work, Sex and Money: Real Life on the Path of Mindfulness, by Chogyam Trungpa
First time I have read this. Right in line with Trungpa's other writings and thoughts. Basically a very down-to-earth approach to dealing with realities of life. Generally, this is a book about advice on how to approach work, sex and money in ways that are consistent with an essentially Buddhist outlook on life.

Most Likely to Succeed: Preparing our Kids for the New Innovation Era, by Tony Wagner and Ted Dintersmith
Solid book so far looking at reasons to change the current education system and ways that it could be improved. Makes use of some nice metaphors to help show how absurd many aspects of K12 education are now. The only problem I have with it is that it is really oriented towards the U.S. education system and the peculiarities of that.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:56 AM   #555
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Africa Rising: How 900 Million African Consumers Offer More than You Think, by Vijay Gunther and Robert Mahajan
I kind of wish this book had been written more recently. I enjoy a lot of the mini business case studies in it, but I can't help feeling the times are likely passing these by. It's a good book to be sure, I just wish there was an equivalent that was published in 2018 with the same breadth of insights.

Last edited by JohnnyB; 12-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #556
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/...est_of_76.html

Quote:
For the eleventh straight year, I am aggregating every online year-end book list I find in this post. As the lists appear online, I will add them to this master list, updating daily.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 03:47 AM   #557
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Educated: A Memoir, by Tara Westover
Taking my time to enjoy this as my last book of 2018. Seems very worth taking the time to enjoy so far. A painful, inspiring and poignant account of growing up in some pretty remarkable circumstances. Wow. I work with a lot of children that need better parenting, and it is never anything but painful to look at a situation where a child is subject to the insanity of parents. This is a great book based on what I'm through up to now

Old 12-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #558
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you're a motorsports fan (and even if you're not) this is a fantastic read:

Old 12-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #559
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I’m in the middle of One Dumb Guy, the autobiography of the Kids in the Hall. It’s a lot of fun learning the origins of some of their classic sketches. Tons of Calgary stuff in there with Bruce and Mark performing with Loose Moose and Theatre Sports during the early 80s.

I definitely recommend it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #560
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading Gretz’s 99 Stories of the Game. If you like cool, obscure, important hockey stories this is for you. For example, the Chicago Blackhawks got their start in Regina....stuff like that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote