Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Flyers @ Flames 6:30 PM MT Sportsnet/Sportsnet 960 The Fan

From Calgaryflames.com

FLAMES (19-10-2) vs. FLYERS# (12-13-3)

6:30 p.m. | TV: Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Season Series:#0-0-0

All-time:#47-58-12-2

Flames Home Record:#10-3-2

Flyers Road Record:#7-6-1

Leading Scorers:

Flames:

Points -#Johnny Gaudreau#(39)
Goals -#Sean Monahan#(18)

Flyers:

Points - Claude Giroux (36)
Goals - Giroux (11)

#

US

The Flames are coming off a 1-0 loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday, but remain in first place in the Pacific Division with a 19-10-2 record for 40 points. The Flames are 7-2-1 in their last 10, and haven't lost a game on home ice in regulation in their last eight dating back nearly a month when they dropped a 3-2 decision to the Montreal Canadiens on Nov. 15. …Mark Giordano#will make his return after serving a two-game suspension over the weekend. … Head coach#Bill Peters#would not tip his hand with regards to his starting goaltender.#Mike Smith#is probable after making 25 saves in Saturday's victory over the Nashville Predators to extend his personal win streak to six. … Following Tuesday's practice, Peters updated the status of several injured players, including#Mikael Backlund#. "I know he was coming in, spending some time with (Athletic Therapist) Kent (Kobelka) and getting on the bike, so... I don't think it's close, but he's feeling better," Peters said.#Michael Stone#(blood clot),#Juuso Valimaki#(lower body) and#Michael Frolik(lower body) are also "not close," according to the bench boss. … The Flames have lost 40 man games due to injury this year.

#

THEM

The Flyers have had a few days off after losing 7-1 to the ets on Sunday to open the Canadian portion of their current five-game road trip. The Flyers are 15th in the Eastern Conference and 27th overall, and have only three wins in their last 10 games. … Despite their struggles this year, the Flyers are in the top half of the league in possession, with a 51.24% Corsi-For percentage - but defence and goaltending have once again been their downfall, as they have the fifth-lowest team save percentage at .906. … Former Flame#Brian Elliott#has had the majority of the work and in 14 appearances, he has a 2.59 goals-against average and a .911 save percentage. Backup netminders#Anthony Stolarzand#Michal Neuvirth#are a combined 2-3-1, with a save percentage well below .900. … The Flyers have allowed the third-fewest goals on goal with 658. Only the Carolina Hurricanes (632) and Minnesota Wild (631) have allowed fewer. … Following tonight's affair, the Flyers will play back-to-back games against the Oilers and Vancouver Canucks on Friday and Saturday to conclude their five-game voyage.

#

US VS. THEM

This is the first of two meetings between these two teams, and the only to be played at the Scotiabank Saddledome. Last year, the Flames took two of a possible four points with a 5-4 overtime victory in Philly before dropping a 5-2 decision at the 'Dome to close out the season series more than a calendar year ago, on Dec. 4, 2017.#Sean Monahan#scored a hat trick in the OT win, and ultimately the led the Flames in head-to-head scoring with four goals and five points in the two-game set.

#

THIS, THAT & THE OTHER

THIS:#During#Mike Smith's six-game win streak, the veteran has posted a 1.59 goals-against average and a .936 save percentage.#THAT:#The Flames' 19 wins are the second most through 31 games in franchise history.#THE OTHER:#Johnny Gaudreauwas awarded the NHL's 'Third Star of the Week' honours on Monday. Gaudreau ranked second in the NHL with two goals and and eight points in only four games, highlighted by the sixth four-point performance of his career on Dec. 4 against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

#

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Flames - Alan Quine

Quine made quite the first impression with a goal in his Flames debut on Saturday, and followed that up an equally strong performance on Sunday in the Battle of Alberta. The 25-year-old, who was recalled from the Stockton Heat late last week after putting up 19 points (6G, 13A) in 15 games with the club, had an assist taken away when the referees determined#Anthony Peluso#had interfered with Oilers goalie#Mikko Koskinen#on the would-be tying goal. Still, that shouldn't diminish his efforts, and with#Mikael Backlund#and#Michael Frolik#still a ways from returning from injury, his contributions could lead to a longer stay in Calgary.

Flyers - Travis Sanheim

The Elkhorn, Man. native spent three seasons with the Calgary Hitmen from 2013 to 2016, and is now in his first full season with the Flyers after splitting time between them and the club's AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, last year. He has two goals, nine points and six penalty minutes in 28 games this year, playing mostly on the third pairing with veteran D man#Radko Gudas. Sanheim, 22, was drafted by the Flyers in the first round, 17th overall, in 2014 after putting up 35 goals and 162 points in 186 regular-season games
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keanu is dying from hunger.. that loss to the oilers did not sit well with him. The flames need to get back in the win column so we Can FEED HIM ANOTHER HUGE 2 POINTS.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like this game will turn into the most bizarre ever as Johnny Hockey will score 2 in the first but due to someone stealing his purple drank, he demands a trade to Philly.

In the second, the home crowd boos as Philly Johnny hockey scores his first goal as a Flyer. Voracek, who lost his stick, helps Johnny by pushing him and protecting him for a 2 on none breakaway. (Yes, these things can happen)

On the bench, Johnny is looking for his purple drank but only orange drank could be found. He then spots Gritty (who had sung the American anthem while Canyon was searching for his hat) with purple on his fur and realizes who had stolen his purple drank so demands a trade back to Calgary.

Johnny completes the third with two more goals, one bouncing off Gritty’s head but as usual the officials missed it and the other deflect on Voracek’s stick which was still left on the ice.

We have a Safeway million dollar winner. His name is Tim Erixon. Newsflash: The third goal Johnny scored does not count therefore Tim Erixon has to forfeit the money plus donate a first round pick to the Flames in 2039 when he will become the Houston Whitneys 17th GM!

Either that happens or Neal and Bennett score in the same game!

Last edited by Always Earned Never Given; 12-12-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect a strong bounce-back win tonight, especially with the team now having had a couple days rest and Gio getting back in.

5-1 Flames.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Mike Smith in the starter’s net this morning. Looks like he’ll get the start in net tonight vs. Philadelphia. #Flames
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Czarnik on the "2nd line" and Bennett on the "4th" from yesterday's practice was just a tease.

#Flames tonight vs. Philly:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Ryan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Neal
Czarnik-Quine-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Smith
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Weird. So Peters makes a joke about himself starting Czarnik on the left when he's better on the right, then puts him up on 2RW then moves him back down to 4LW

Ok
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Weird. So Peters makes a joke about himself starting Czarnik on the left when he's better on the right, then puts him up on 2RW then moves him back down to 4LW

Ok
Coaching tactics. That was him saying "Sam, you're good enough to be on the 2nd line but you need to be better to stay there" and "Austin, you have a chance, show me you can belong on that spot."
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers. I remember cheering hard for them to beat the Oilers in 85. I also really liked the Briere teams. Loved when they acquired one of my all-time favourites in Forsberg. And I like that they make ballsy moves like trading Carter and Richards when they were still young superstars. That said, I find this rendition of the team sort of boring.

Hoping the Flames get back on their horse and regain that consistency that has been a hallmark of their season up to now. Obviously having Gio back will be huge. The Backlund hole is the bigger issue at this point and I continue to be a proponent of sliding our second best centre, Lindholm, into that spot, even if just temporarily. I think the Monahan/Gaudreau, Lindholm/Tkachuk pairings can anchor our top six nicely. Still rooting for Bennett... just in general.

I'll say Quine get another. Jankowski with a shorty. Gio and Lindholm finish it off with a couple PP goals.

4-1 in a never in doubt dominant win. Smith solid as he continues to gain confidence.

Go Flames
Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like Czarnik on the "2nd line" and Bennett on the "4th" from yesterday's practice was just a tease.

#Flames tonight vs. Philly:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Ryan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Neal
Czarnik-Quine-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Smith
It's amazing how having Gio back makes the D a completely different beast. Lines look about right, although i'd personally swap Ryan and Janko.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flyers can score at will. Their problem is goaltending (Still) and shoddy D. The Giroux line is a dangerous as ever.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson
Czarnik leading the morning skate stretches. Everyone seems pretty upbeat at today's skate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

5-4 game with suspect goaltending at both ends of the ice

Flames win. Smith gets piled on in the game thread. Riitich starts next game.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith continues his strong play and the Flames win 4-1
Old 12-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Last time I watched the Flyers live, I was sucker punched in the bar after the game.
I hate the Flyers!
Go Flames!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Flyers can score at will. Their problem is goaltending (Still) and shoddy D. The Giroux line is a dangerous as ever.
They have scored at will a whopping 85 times, which is good for #15 in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #17
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Honest question ... in light of the Klefbom injury where would you put the Oilers current second pairing if you could scratch/dress any of the Calgary six and Russell / Benning.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Wideman
Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Ok
Quite the bait and switch to pull on the guy’s birthday
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

first & foremost hoping for a Flames win.

my secondary hopes are for Bennett/Neal to get on the scoreboard.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #20
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Honest question ... in light of the Klefbom injury where would you put the Oilers current second pairing if you could scratch/dress any of the Calgary six and Russell / Benning.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Wideman
I wouldn’t play Benning ever in an NHL game

Russell on the bottom pair for sure, but not at his salary. Heart and soul player
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread