Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default TELUS Gigabit internet out

So I guess either Shaw got wind TELUS was doing this, or, TELUS has responded with Gigabit internet and internet 750

This is of course on their fibre and not on their copper.

I wish the Gigabit plan had more data usage.. but then again I don't know how I'd even come close to using a terabyte a month?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Telus upgrading 150 customers to the 300 plan same as Shaw, or do you have to sit on hold for hours to get the update?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Is Telus upgrading 150 customers to the 300 plan same as Shaw, or do you have to sit on hold for hours to get the update?
I use Telus' call back service and rarely sit on hold.

I've had zero issues with Telus customer support.

Their installers are top notch as well.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that the 300 and 750 plans include 1 TB, but the 1 gig plans includes 1000GB! More zeros!

Pretty slick that the discount is the first 3 months only.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So where can you actually buy these plans? Myself in Chestermere and a couple of buddies in the NW and SW respectively can only get up to Internet 50 max
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just checked, I can get it in Highwood.

Check here:
https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-b...gabit-internet
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So where can you actually buy these plans? Myself in Chestermere and a couple of buddies in the NW and SW respectively can only get up to Internet 50 max
Likewise, we're pretty central (SW) but are limited to Telus' copper and 50 Mbps max (which is why Shaw is our primary internet connection at 600/20).

If Telus brings fibre to our neighbourhood, I will happily get their gigabit service.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats a good package you can get with Telus these days? For internet and TV? I want to keep my live sports only really.

Were moving to a new house in the new year and I would like to stick with Telus. Fibre is available at the new house.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointing they didn't increase the monthly cap although not surprising. The higher base price point is discouraging but that's to be expected from bleeding-edge deployments.

One wonders if their backbone can handle the ingress if widely deployed. Certainly in the Copperfield I see around 75% of wifi networks (and therefore households) as being Telus, but never really spot any slowdown which is encouraging as several of those are likely 150/150 fiber installs. Perhaps 1 GB availability will be restricted in some opaque manner? For many years I was unable to get a fiber installation myself (something about "ports" and capacity), but I can select 1 GB fiber plan as of today without issue.

I'm unsure what I'd do with bandwidth in excess of 150 Mbps (which I currently have). I guess streamers/youtubers will have an easier time uploading high-quality encodes, or an entire household can liberally consume 4k content. I actually found the main advantages moving from Shaw to Telus fibre to be a working IPv6 stack and lower latency by connecting directly to the ONT. Either provider is rock-solid in my experience.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I actually found the main advantages moving from Shaw to Telus fibre to be a working IPv6 stack and lower latency by connecting directly to the ONT. Either provider is rock-solid in my experience.
As far as I can tell, Shaw's IPv6 works just fine. My Shaw connection is my primary WAN with a prefix delegation of 58. My failover WAN is Telus and uses a PD of 56. Both work just fine and pass all the test-ipv6.com tests.

Or is there something specifically you found different between the two?
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those people worried about the data caps I believe the unlimited internet is free for 24 months if you take the promo pricing and a 2 year commitment.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had the Telus 150/150 plan for awhile and it's awesome. I looked into these and the prices it gave me for the Gb and 750 plans were $20 higher per month. I'd probably see if I can get the 300/300 plan though.

My brother-in-law in Edmonton called them about upgrading to the 300/300 plan from his current 150/150. They told him they were really busy upgrading everyone so they gave him a discount on his 150/150 plan instead.

Every time I call them it's a negotiation anyways. I'm pretty sure they'll throw in unlimited internet plus a few other things. The only thing I'd want is a fixed IP address or two but they don't include it their consumer plans as far as I know.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I live in a 20 year old house and it says I can only get Internet 15 - is the website wrong, or does Telus really not want me as a customer?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #14
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I live in a 20 year old house and it says I can only get Internet 15 - is the website wrong, or does Telus really not want me as a customer?
Unfortunately, Telus is generally upgrading their infrastructure starting with the oldest neighborhoods. We are in a 20 year old house too, and can get up to Telus 50, which they were only able to do by bringing in two 25 lines. The tech said fiber won't be coming to our neighborhood anytime soon. I can't remember which community it was, but he mentioned one community where one side of the road got fiber, but the other side wasn't slated for fiber for many more years. It sucks.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Unfortunately, Telus is generally upgrading their infrastructure starting with the oldest neighborhoods. We are in a 20 year old house too, and can get up to Telus 50, which they were only able to do by bringing in two 25 lines. The tech said fiber won't be coming to our neighborhood anytime soon. I can't remember which community it was, but he mentioned one community where one side of the road got fiber, but the other side wasn't slated for fiber for many more years. It sucks.
And yet, they're bringing fiber to Okotoks, HighRiver, BlackDiamond and eventually Turner Valley. I now have fiber to the house. Just awaiting final hookup.

Last edited by keratosis; 12-15-2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I can't remember which community it was, but he mentioned one community where one side of the road got fiber, but the other side wasn't slated for fiber for many more years. It sucks.
If I was on the side with fiber, I would buy the fastest unlimited package I could, then set up some VLANs, a Rocket-AC and a sector antenna to sell my stupid-fast internet to my neighbours across the street for a bargain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If I was on the side with fiber, I would buy the fastest unlimited package I could, then set up some VLANs, a Rocket-AC and a sector antenna to sell my stupid-fast internet to my neighbours across the street for a bargain.
To quote a childhood friend of mine “won’t you be my neighbour ?”
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote