Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh for crying out loud

https://news.avclub.com/michelle-yeo...-of-1830353506

God she's just terrible, but lets make a series around her where she can act like a cardboard cut out for 22 episodes a year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #82
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh for crying out loud

https://news.avclub.com/michelle-yeo...-of-1830353506

God she's just terrible, but lets make a series around her where she can act like a cardboard cut out for 22 episodes a year.

Yea, I'm not a fan of this either. What a stupid idea.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #83
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, who is going to bite the bullet and tell these people that nobody likes the Abramverse, or the Discoverse, because neither one of them is Star Trek.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #84
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
So, who is going to bite the bullet and tell these people that nobody likes the Abramverse, or the Discoverse, because neither one of them is Star Trek.
I like the Abramsverse. The first movie and ST Beyond were excellent films, and the actors have grown into their roles nicely. I'm excited to see where they'll go for the 4th movie, if it ever happens. Apparently it's still in pre-production limbo due to the contract dispute with Pine and Hemsworth.

Sounds like Pine has left the door open for talks to continue though, so I guess that's a positive. Without him, I don't think the movie will happen.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/...itting-return/

Quote:
In a recent interview with Variety, Chris Pine was asked if he would be interested in returning at Captain James Kirk in a fourth Star Trek movie. While Pine's wording was relatively vague, he hinted that he's interested in the project in one way or another.

"I don't know, man." Pine explained. "I'd love to be involved, and we'll see what happens. I'll await the phone call. Until then, I look forward to it."

As for Discovery, the first season was definitely mediocre, but I'm willing to give them at least one more season to find their legs. If the first few episodes of S2 suck, then I'm out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #85
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only real saving grace for Abrams was the Simon Pegg writing in Beyond. He gave the characters something to do beyond set pieces, and actually has some respect for Roddenberry.

I fully expect Discovery to introduce the Romulans, only they will be covered in fur and mumble a lot. They will fight the Andorians, who will only have eyes on the top of their antennae, and no mouths. They will speak only through elbow flapping, and will spend most of their energy politically denigrating the Romulan protected slug people of Nebulor 7.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would totally watch that show if the Ferengi only talked through armpit fart noises and were more interested in poop art and anime then business.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #87
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

so the plan now is to dilute the hell out Star Trek with 14 different shows and movies running concurrently and set it on a collision course straight for the ground like disney did with Star Wars?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
so the plan now is to dilute the hell out Star Trek with 14 different shows and movies running concurrently and set it on a collision course straight for the ground like disney did with Star Wars?
I think thats a bit o hyperbole, but they invest heavily in this content so yeah, they need to see some returns.

Ultimately we were starved of Star Wars and Star Trek for a long time that the appetite was there for more, but its like finding a starving man in the desert and then just dropping him off at a Vegas Buffet.

We will eventually level out but prior to that correction there is an over-saturation.

Its just the way the world works.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #89
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think thats a bit o hyperbole, but they invest heavily in this content so yeah, they need to see some returns.

Ultimately we were starved of Star Wars and Star Trek for a long time that the appetite was there for more, but its like finding a starving man in the desert and then just dropping him off at a Vegas Buffet.

We will eventually level out but prior to that correction there is an over-saturation.

Its just the way the world works.

yeah, hyperbole is my native tongue. sometimes I forget which languge i’m speaking

There are, what, five, six? different film/tv projects in the pipes. I get they want to cash in while Star Trek;s in vogue, but my fear—just as it was with Star Wars—is, as Bob Iger put it a few weeks ago: “Too much, too fast” and quality/originality will take a hit.

I want to be wrong so bad
Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #90
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #91
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paramount has cancelled Star Trek 4 film:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...s-is-to-blame/
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #92
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

If there ever was a nerd debate on which is better, Star Wars vs Star Trek , you have the Star Wars nerds screaming “set phasers to CANCELLED!!”
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #93
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, Star Wars cancelled movies last year because Solo bombed, I think that would be a bit of a misstep in a nerd debate :P
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #94
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Bummer. I quite enjoyed ST Beyond and was looking forward to seeing where they'd go with the next one. But I guess it makes sense that they would cancel the movie at this point, especially with all the other Trek stuff currently being developed for TV, not to mention the Pine/Hemsworth contract disputes. Sounds like this movie just turned into a big headache for Paramount.

There's also Tarantino's ST project, which as far as I can tell is still in development. I came across this interview from September with Karl Urban, who is apparently expected to appear in it. Which begs the question: is Tarantino using the entire Abrams-verse cast? This would be really interesting, especially given that they just pulled the plug on the official sequel. I assume the cast would be more than happy to sign up for a one-off movie like this just for the opportunity to work with Tarantino.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/qu...an-1202001925/

Quote:
Karl Urban, who appears in the current “Star Trek” franchise and is expected to be in Tarantino’s as well, is here to offer a few key details. According to him, Tarantino “went in to [producer] J.J. [Abrams]’s offices and pitched him an idea for a ‘Star Trek movie.’ I know a little bit about what that is, and it’s bananas.”

Bananas how? Allow him to elaborate: “You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff. He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that,” Urban adds in his interview with Trek Movie.

“To me, that was always one of the things I loved about what DeForest Kelley did. He would actually capture the horror of space. That look in his eyes of sheer terror always struck me when I was a kid.”
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Star Trek franchise has been pretty mediocre for years.

Enterprise - was terrible as was Voyager.

For the most part the TNG movie franchises were soul killing awful.

The first nu trek movie was decent. But the second movie was terrible, and while the third movie was ok, it wasn't something amazing.

Discovery is outright crap.

I agree with them killing Star Trek for a decade or so to get fans clamoring for it again.

I would even argue the same thing with Star Wars.

TFA - wasn't all that terrific as a reboot of OT.
TLJ - was awful.
Clone Wars and Rebels were really good, but Resistance isn't good.
Solo was pretty good, but I think fans were burned out. I really liked Rogue One.

I really think that these franchises, Star Wars and Star Trek need a break, they feel tired.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #96
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunately as soon as Hollywood smells a modicum of success, they over-saturate the marked until the quality drops off and people get tired.

Remember when that quiz show with Regis was on like five nights a week or something?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #97
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I mean, Star Wars cancelled movies last year because Solo bombed, I think that would be a bit of a misstep in a nerd debate :P
But more Star Wars movies are still being made. A few branches of the tree have been cut off but the tree still grows

Canceling Star Trek 4 is like cutting at the stump
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #98
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s still another movie in pre-production and 3 confirmed TV series in various states of production (which is where Trek is at its best anyways). Franchise hasn’t been this alive and healthy since the late 90’s.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #99
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Star Trek franchise has been pretty mediocre for years.

Enterprise - was terrible as was Voyager.

The first nu trek movie was decent. But the second movie was terrible, and while the third movie was ok, it wasn't something amazing.

Discovery is outright crap.

So you're saying Trek is at its best when it is a show about political corruption and war?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #100
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I assume by your numbering that your either not considering Generations as a nu-trek movie, or you're forgetting one.

I'm trying to figure out if you thought First Contact was terrible and erased Nemesis from your memory.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote